Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Show me your pig housing

sdrawkcab
13 years ago

Howdy,

My wife and I just moved from a tiny apartment to a beautiful house on a nice piece of property in the country. We are considering getting a couple pigs for meat. I've been reading everything I can find about hobby pig raising but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'd love to see pictures, and hear descriptions of how others are keeping pigs.

Ideally we'd keep 2 or 3 pigs at a time and they would be for meat so they'd be going to live in the freezer shortly after reaching 250lbs. My wife has an advanced degree in animal science and did much of her masters thesis research using pigs but that was at a state-of-the-art research facility and not a "real farm". The place where we'd be putting the pig enclosure has a slight slope to it and I'm wondering if a partially "dug out" pig house built into the slope might be good to help temperature regulation. The pigs would likely only be raised spring to fall to avoid the need for caring for the pigs over the winter.

If you have any pictures of how you keep your pigs I'd love to see them. Tips or advice for first time pig producers would also be greatly appreciated.

Happy farming,

-Ryan

Comments (2)