Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can firewood be too old?

Posted by jazzman111 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 11:40

I recently bought a half cord of firewood for casual fireplace use. Once I started using it, I found it didn't burn anywhere near as well as the firewood I'd bought the previous year, which seemed well cured and pretty much all oak. This wood is clearly old, the bark has fallen off a number of the split logs, and the logs are "dirty", i.e. there's bits of old bark, etc. on many of them. Also, while not an expert, some seem clearly to be oak, but others I recognize as black birch and others--who knows? What bothers me most is that the wood does not burn very well--it burns slowly and not very completely--I have to keep adding wood to keep the flames up. Can someone tell me what's going on here? I'm guessing I got the guy's "miscellaneous" pile that has been hanging around a long time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can firewood be too old?

My guess is that it was stacked where it was rained upon. This happens to me, with my own firewood, when I use stuff which I haven't had tarped. As long as it isn't rotten, it should straighten out okay. Tarp your firewood. Also, if you can do it, stack a fair amount near where you will burn it (inside). If it is stacked near your fireplace, it will dry out faster yet.

If I'm correct, your wood will begin to burn more normally within a week.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

We use old wood all the time and it isn't a problem. Some woods just burn hotter than others and have different qualities...some harder and some softer. People who use wood cook stoves, often select the wood to use for how how or prolonged they want their fires. I don't know a lot about it just voicing a few thoughts.

o

I think both of your comments are accurate. I think the wood was stored uncovered, but now that it's drying out, it's burning a lot better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here