Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Mystery well water

paulns
20 years ago

Hi all. Not sure where to turn with this...We just had a well dug and it seems to be a disaster - or not. Everybody on this sparsely populated country road has good water from shallow wells, as do we - but ours is a sand point, with a rusting piston pump. There isn't enough volume or pressure to irrigate our large garden properly, and we're hoping to expand to have a market garden.

The new well is 22 feet deep and the water is brown, silty, smells like oil (diesel) and has an oily film on it. We sent a sample to a lab, paid 150. to have them tell us there is no oil in it (Btex test). Dept. of the Environment guy didn't have much patience or advice. He suggested it's manganese but I've seen manganese and this does not behave at all like it or look like it.

The material dug out of the well had little blobs of the oily stuff - silky blackish-brownish looking. Does anybody know of any kind of clay that would give water this oily look and smell? Could it be pockets of very old organic matter? Wood waste leachate, I've read, can be oily and smell like petroleum, especially from softwood. The only 'industry' in this area when the house was built a hundred years ago was some ship-building, so possibly long-buried sawdust? There is no industry now. The soil is very sandy.

A neighbour who is from this area said you should never dig a well under an apple tree, and this is close to one.

This water intrigues me, which is good because the intrigue keeps me from becoming depressed over wasted money.

Comments (5)

• hunter_tx
    20 years ago

In this area there are no apple trees, at least not enough to speak of, but there are creek banks in this area where you will see what looks almost like coal deposits in certain layers. I think, but am not certain, that it is layers of decomposed organic matter, but have a friend who will likely know for sure. When I speak with him next, I'll ask. Did you have a chemical analysis of the water, without telling them what you were concerned about in particular? I'd be interested to know.
    Mrs H

• paulns
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Mrs. H. I wonder how long it takes organic matter to become coal-like? I talked to our local (i.e. two hours away, in town) dept. of the environment guy a few times, who could only suggest getting the water tested for hydrocarbons ('Btex' test). This is what we asked for. It occurs to me the lab may have got samples mixed up. Even so there is no logical explanation for oil in this land.
    A different test looks for a wide range of minerals. This might be the next logical step, once we have the money. In the meantime I did a seed germination test, using promix in petri dishes and watering with the well water. Three of ten radish seeds sprouted, grew 4 inches long, also a few small patches of fluffy grey mold - good signs? Will repeat the experiment, using a control this time. If this water can be used just on the garden that would be okay with me.

• gonefishin
    20 years ago

To the tune of Beverly Hillbillys
    Come and listen to my story, bout a man called Jeb,
    A pore mountaineer who barley kept his family fed.
    Then one day he was out huntin for some food,
    And up thru the ground came a bubbling crude!
    Oil, that is ! Black gold, Texas tea!
    Is there oil in them thar parts?
    Good water might be better, crude has a hard time maintaining a price of $30.00 per barrel and I see those little blue bottles of spring water selling for over a dollar for a 12 or 16 oz bottle.
    I think that I would have some further testing done, If you cant drink it, water with it, or bathe in it, maybe you could burn it.

• icecreamgranny
    20 years ago

I was wondering how the testing came out on your water? I also live in an area that has many shallow wells, 10/18', and many folks have gone to drilling wells. Although they have water at many levels the best drinking water falls in the range of 40-80', in this area. I am in the pacific northwest and the water here at lower footage is often not at it's best if it is to close to the surface. It seems to pool in underground mineral beds and hence not as clear as people would wish for. I am very interested in what mineral or problem they decided was your issue. Thank-you, Judy

• paulns
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am not getting follow-up messages sent on to me for some reason so I apologize, just checked in here now. Thanks for your responses. LOL gonefishin. That song is burned into the CD that is my childhood. So, I did another germination test, this time comparing seeds growing in promix watered with regular well water, and watered with 'contaminated' water. Lo and behold the seedlings grew ten times better (higher, greener) with the contaminated water. Which may be appearing soon, in a gardening store near you. :) Judy I finally got a hydrogeologist to consider the situation. He says that given our geology in this part of the province there could very well be layers of ancient organic matter buried under glacial till. (material that is on its way to becoming coal or oil?) He says it may be suitable for irrigating the garden, and that we might want to try flushing out the well a few more times. We are going to get a general mineral test in the spring and see if that tells us anything more. If we could afford to cap this well and get a drilled one instead we probably would. Since we can't, we've been wracking our brains. I appreciate your ideas.