Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellabelle_gw

Anyone homeschool? especially in PA

StellaBelle
18 years ago

OK here goes. I thought since this was the homesteading site I might get some feedback on homeschooling. My 12 year old son now attends public school, it's one of the schools that didn't meet the states standards so they call it a "school in crisis". He comes home a few days ago and asks to be home-schooled. He is bright and has always been an honor student without having to even try. He has just finally reached his limit of frustration on what he feels to be the inability of the teachers, curriculum, whatever it is to challenge him. I guess my main question is if you home-school what curriculum do you use? The pros and cons as you see it, and anything else that I should know but that nobody tells you. We live so rurally that the school doesn't even provide a bus or anything. We are kinda on our own already. We are self sufficient except for electricity and phone. Eventually would like to go solar, or wind. So the idea of doing this ourselves doesn't bother us, I just was looking for some wisdom.

Thanks

Stella

Comments (5)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Have you checked the school forum....I know there are occasionally threads there on the subject...

Here is a link that might be useful: School

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I used to home school my son 20 years ago because we lived overseas. Later when we returned to the states I sent him to a private school that used the same curriculum. This particular school acts like a 'correspondence' school with actual certified teachers and an accredited program. As the parent you are given very specific and detailed intructions on how to properly instruct your child. Teachers are available to answer questions and homework must be submitted to them for grading/approval.
    If you are interested in knowing more about it please e-mail me - my address is listed on 'my page'.

• FogLily
    18 years ago

This is a loaded question :) Everyone is unique, every family works differently ... this what makes homeschooling great, its not cookie cutter education. Your child sounds like he could be self motivated/directed if given wings to take control of his education. Check out HSDA site, I believe they have 'rules' listed for all states (we're in CA and use California Homeschool Network to keep us up to date).
    It also depends on your budget as to your curric choices and if you are going faith based or secular prepped/boxed curriculum. You can do it on very little $ with some leg work: public library, internet, workshops. My youngest takes 'music academy' classes at the local univesity. For and one time fee of $5, she can check out any material that the library offers, just like regular students, just as long as she retains her associated student standing (by being enrolled at the music class). Our whole family benefits.
    In CA you can homeschool as independent, charter school (public ed $), independent study, private, some parents put together a loose co-op ('loose' because if you are working with children other than your own, tecnically you are to be finger printed) or join a local 'learning center', etc. Check out if PA has an option that high school age students can take community college classes.
    There is just so much out there and weeding through it will seem unending! Keep going, it really is worth it. Best of Wishes!!

• heirloomtomato
    18 years ago

Stella,
    Hello! What section of PA do you live in? I am in NW PA and both my sister and sister-in-law homeschool. This is a very homeschool friendly area and there are some homeschool groups. My sister-in-law has 2 school age children and 2 younger ones who I am sure are soaking in some just because they are there. My sister homeschools 3 of her 5 school age children (she also has a younger one) Her oldest is in 11th grade and so didn't want to leave high school as she is almost done. The other daughter is gifted and still attends so she can go to the gifted classes as well as her regular classes. I have a 17 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. I have been tempted to home school at times but have never taken the step. If you are interested maybe I could have them contact you directly to tell you about their curriculum. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.
    Karen

• dannic_az
    18 years ago

Stella--
    I myself was homeschooled and will homeschool my children as well. I have a 3 yob and 11 mog, so technically haven't begun as of yet. There are hundreds of techniques, curriculums, ect. You don't have to figure it all out at once. One book that I have found helpful is "A Thomas Jefferson Education" by Oliver deMille, who is also the President of George Wythe College.... Good luck in your search!

Sponsored