Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetgw_gw

Making a FAQ for Homesteading

JanetGW
21 years ago

Hi all. I'm new here, but I've offered to help put together a FAQ for the Homesteading forum. Please everyone post the questions you'd like to see in the FAQ. Once we narrow down the questions, I'll come back and ask for suggestions on how each question should be answered. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (15)

• Jungle_Jim
    21 years ago

OK, I'll start. Just what exactly is Homesteading?

• Bamboochik
    21 years ago

Some people may want to know:

1- How many acres makes a homestead. (I've always thought 1 acre can work quite well for a mini homestead)

2-What kind of animals are good to raise?

3- Where is a good place to search for land or already set-up homesteads?

4- What's the difference between a homestead and a farm? (we have discussed this question before)

5- What kind of tools and machinery are good to have on a homestead?

6- What states are more "homestead friendly" as far as taxes and restrictions go?

7- What about water systems?

8- What about septic systems?

9- What kind of housing? Old farm house already on property? Mobile home? Log home, etc. etc.

10- Utilites around or will you have to go 'off grid'?

• JanetGW
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Great suggestions! Let's keep working on the questions for a couple more days, then we'll pick several of them and work on answers. (Remember that when people run a search, only the questions are searchable, so we need to get as many key words as possible into the question.) Then I'll get it posted. Thanks for your help :)

• galynn
    21 years ago

Some more questions or topics.

Using herbs on a homestead for medical, cleaning, cooking, etc.

About raising goats or sheep and their use for fiber crafts.

Food storage (canning, drying, freezing, etc.)

About solar.

Gardening, greenhouse, raised bed, tire gardening.

Cheesemaking.

Books on homesteading.

Hope this helps with the ideas
    glo

• funky_dutch
    21 years ago

How about... (if you're new at it, like me)

How to start? What basic materials, buildings, and stock would make a good beginning?

What are the best recyclables or re-usables?

Xeriscaping (as in, water-conscious homesteading)?

Website links for homesteaders?

s'all I can think of for now. Good idea, Janet.

Dutch

• wolferk214
    21 years ago

HOMESTEADING!!

1. how to build outbuildings, barn, chicken coops, composting bins, feedfers, waters, root cellar, water storage, solar, etc.
    A. How to incorporate the above, when completed,to be
    labor saving and combining other advantages
    2.How to use USDA and EXTENSION info and "sign-ups".
    3. How to dig a water well.
    4. How to use a solor water well pump.
    5. How to save seeds
    6. how to market your crop
    7. how to find a "market nitch"
    8. how to prune fruit trees

1. How to grow compatable vegatables side by side
    2. how to butcher, can, preserve, make cheeze, butter
    3. how to be the right kind of neighbor
    4. how to avoid weeds
    5. how to keep bees
  • shawnee_sitter
    21 years ago

We have a piece of land we haven't put a home on yet, but my husband has a long shed, fence and gate in. We would welcome info on putting in a septic tank, putting down a well, and a root cellar.

• babanna
    20 years ago

Info on putting food by (and of course growing it first!) would be very important...and don't forget info on the cheap basics (chickens, ducks, geese ... hee hee hee!). My husband likes to raise cows and feeder pigs for us to eat too! I would love some wind energy info as well. Just starting to look into it and am thinking of getting a small windmill.

• Aubergine Texiana
    20 years ago

Oh! I like that one about being a good neighbor! Such things are becoming a lost art.

So many good suggestions so far! I'd like to point out that this really seems to be a forum that brings together the topics of several of gw's existing forums. I love it;D

Stock ponds. How small can they be? How do you stock them?
    What can you put in them other than catfish?

How to prevent and repair erosion on your property?

Urban Homesteading.

Alternate Livestock (diversification)
    ie. with the virus problems chickens have been having in the south/southwest, what other poultry alternatives are there? (doves/dovecotes comes to mind.)

raising miniature varieties for the gourmet market?

just some odd thoughts in the wee hours
    Ana

Here is a link that might be useful: wind & solar energy for the DIYer!

• rindalin
    20 years ago

All of the above... wonderful suggestions. I would like to read and contribute to all of those topics.

Fences, what's the best type for different livestock?

• Vallari
    19 years ago

So I am just curious, as a newly interested considerer of being a homesteader, when will the FAQs page be put up? I have read this thread and definitely want to read the answers to the topics that were raised. I understand that information of that magnitude takes a great while to compile but a year has gone by since "completion" of the questions. Hope to see FAQs soon. Am learning a lot doing searches but look forward to a broad spectrum of topics in the same vicinity. Thanks for all the hard work going into the project! Happy Homesteading~Vallari

• pony65
    19 years ago

One question I haven't seen in this thread (but may have overlooked) is how to make money while homesteading. Also, how to participate in alternate economies (trade, barter, et al).

I, too, like the idea of how to be a good neighbor. I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to try to be your neighbor's best friend, just their best neighbor. :)

Pony!

• shawnee_2
    19 years ago

Most definitely ideas and mindset approaches are needed for those planning to make a country/homesteading move. People in the city make a living with trades that won't always translate out in the boonies here in small towns and "creative alternatives" are a necessity. I have a home daycare and my husband was teaching; I will be busy with an established orchard and home farmers market in a partial pick your own business and husband is driving a diesel gas delivery truck. No schools that close to where we are and you just have to make sacrifices to live the life your choose. Get it straight in your mind you will be taking a dive in income and you will have won half the battle. This is not a way to make it rich - this avenue is for those who want a more satisfying life. Sometimes this means working harder for yourself than you ever have for anybody else. Sooo, driving a school bus, working road maintenance for the county, local grain elevator, propane delivery, plumber's "helper"; all of these may be job alternatives in your area to pick up the slack in income. It's worthwhile if you feel right about what you are doing. It's not all about watching Frontier House and reading Carla Emery's book; not to mention the hoots and howlers from other members of your families who think you are "nuts" or "some kinda survival freak." Prepare any way you can - be as open to conditions available in your area and think CREATIVE!!

• teresa_va
    19 years ago

How about some suggestions on how to ease into a profitable home stead? So to not quit your main job right away but aquire skills and knowlege and work toward managing your new working life style at your homestead. Bookkeeping, financial stability, Keeping records of finances, livestock, Gardening, Farm equipment, Seeds etc. what ever you choose to do.
    I hope everyone can understand what I'm trying to ask.

• shawnee_2
    19 years ago

Teresa VA you have hit the nail on the head. LOTS of interest out there to homestead/live more simply and not many ideas of feasibility. Many people have voiced such a longing without facing the fact that loss of income or never realizing the extent of income again they now enjoy will most likely be the result. Easing in seems to be the answer. We know of someone whose wife quit and works only part-time. This takes care of the family's health insurance and leaves her to do chores at home to help her husband - who in turn quit a very profitable job to work closer to the land they rent. Renter is old and financing the house they live in to buy from him. In turn, they keep up fences for him and have option to buy a few acres a year. They started this out 2 years ago and Becky (city type to the max) now gardens, prunes fruit trees, raises chickens ( we won't mention the short-lived turkey experiment) cans, mows, cares for bucket calves and just this spring spent untold hours in barn with ewes birthing.They now have 8 acres, she said she has never felt better about her life, has learned to do without or at least question purchases (something she has NEVER done) before the fact, and has grown closer to her 2 children. You are right; they "practiced" gardening, etc. before they moved outside of town. There is prep work and book work involved. Part-time jobs for both spouses sometimes is the answer...can do without a lot but insurance is vital these days. Great point, Teresa!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH