Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm226

Options for young folks just starting out?

bookworm226
13 years ago

Hi there;

I have a question to ask of everyone here but first let me give you some background to the question.

My brother and I have been raised in the country on a small 10 acre farm. My parents don't do much farming but they purchased the farmland for us so that we could live in the country. My brother and I were both homeschooled and have learned to love living on a farm. We aren't new to farming. We currently have a couple of rescued horses on part of the property, keep chickens for eggs, have several hives of bees for honey production and cultivate about 6 acres of the property for produce that we sell at local farmers markets. We have a small berry patch with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. All of this to explain that we aren't new to growing things and farming.

Now for the question:

Does anyone have any suggestions for us on how to establish our own farm? Like I said before, our parents aren't farmers but we would like to farm for a living. Right now, we are totally happy working together (we've always been the best of friends) and would like to somehow obtain more property to work with.

We basically have no idea how to start a larger farm. We work 7 days a week on our farm just to earn enough to go to college on so have very little saved up to buy a farm and good farmland usually is very expensive. Our farming friends all have parents that have farmed and will pass down the land to them. So, how do you go about starting a career in farming? :-) Does anyone know of localities in the US that have good farm land, far out in the country, for a low price! (I know that such a thing probably doesn't exist anymore!) I really wish the homestead act was still going so that young folks like us could start a new life without having rich parents or the proverbial rich uncle to back you up!!!

I don't want to farm like the commercial farmers do in grain states. I want to grow organic and/or heirloom produce.

Thanks much for your suggestions, and advice!

Comment (1)

Sponsored