Return to the HortiPlex Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding preview panes?

Posted by BluePoppy z5 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 01 at 21:20

Suggestion #1
When adding a photo in Hortiplex, I was wondering if you could have the image come up in a mini preview box on the set up screen? This way we could be absolutely sure we are adding the correct photo to the database, BEFORE we send it.

Suggestion #2
When you go into a specific Gallery, I think it would be really cool to see a mini preview of the lastest 5-8 photos right at the top of the gallery page. Some people dont have time to go into each individual post to see all the new photos posted. I bet you would get even more photos added to the data base with this type of enticer. It could be like a banner or mini ticker tape. This type of format would leave more room on the forum for garden photos, garden tours, and all the other posts that keep us coming back to the galleries, PLUS we could see all the new photos at the same time! The best of both worlds. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding preview panes?

I think that "Blue Poppy" has an excellent suggestion. I would like to add to her idea. The preview should not only have a picture of the flower, but the stem/bark, leaves, cones & berries. You can't always I.D. a plant from the picture alone.

Also, how about highlighting the best of the best pictures on the Gallery. It could be called "Spike's Favorite Pics" by the day or by the week.

o

Good point - I thought I'd be able to preview the pic in the ordinary preview before posting, but I see it won't.

Yet surely it is easy to check what image you are uploading before you upload? - - Just look at your pics and make a mental note of its file name?

What would though be very useful, is for the link to the image upload test forum to be included at the bottom of every forum, instead of just a few - its a very useful way of uploading images to post, and a bit of a rigmarole switching around to get to it at the moment!

Michael

o

Great idea Michael about the image link.

However, when downloading photos driectly from a harddrive, instead of the image upload, it can get confusing. Even when I make mental notes of the file name, many times I have several photos with similiar names, like iris1, iris2, iris3. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be, but it gets a little confusing without preview panes.

I'm not sure everyone would take the time to check to see if the got they right photo downloaded, or fix it if they didnt.

Hortiplex is fast becoming more user-friendly.

o

I use IrfanView. It "is a compact, easy to use image viewer. More than that, you can also edit images directly in IrfanView to produce a variety of effects. IrfanView was created by Irfan Skiljan." (Someone on the Computer Help Forum deserves credit for this). Download is free.

o

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

You go to the form to upload to HortiPlex, click on the browse button to find the image on your disk.

Then you want to see the image before hitting the submit button?

o

Yes, thats right Spike. It would be so helpful to see the image before hitting submit. Similiar to webshots if you have ever uploaded there. (I think thats all why we like it so much.)

If, not I'll need to get very creative to name my files. Especially when I have over 25 photos of each rose I grow.

o

BluePoppy,

OK, I did ad a preview button, you'll see it to the right of the browse button, but only if you're usuing MS Internet Explorer. It's wouldn't work with Netscape for some reason.

o

Thankyou very much. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will be wonderful for everyone with internet exployer.

o

Hi Spike, I use MS Internet Explorer 5.5, but still can't preview the picture. Since I was not sure if the photo format was wrong (jpg or size?) or the preview wasn't working, I cancelled the upload. Would it be OK to upload photos anyway even though I can't preview it?

Thanks...Mikky

o

Blue Poppy,
It may be simpler for you to modify your organizational system. I also have multiple photos of each plant. I name them things like rosarugosa1, rosarugosa2, etc.
I have created a separate file for my hortiplex photos. After deciding which photo of each plant to use in hortiplex, I place it in that file. Then I move the photos directly from that file to hortiplex. It may seem a little more complicated at first, but I find that it keeps me well organized.

o

Mikky,

Yeah, if you don't see it, don't worry about it. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the HortiPlex Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here