Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccamutha_gw

Sprouts and other disturbing sights

soccamutha
17 years ago

So, I have a plantaginea poking its eyes up here in VA, in January. All of my clematis (except Sweet Autumn) are showing flower buds. Many of my daylilies are popping up.

None of the other hosta is showing anything yet, but it's 60 today and not looking to go below 50 for another week at least. And no lower than mid 30's at night.

Might be a sparse spring and summer if this keeps up.

Sheesh.

Becky

Comments (13)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Better cover up that Plantaginea,because it will freeze. Mine always comes up early,too,but last year it was Feb. 28th and it got burned again.I'm not moving off any leaves from my early risers this year at all,until the eyes rise above the leaf cover! Last year, my Sagae,another early riser,lost all of the first flush of leaves,and consequently looke bad all year. Phil

• soccamutha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gonna go check Sagae again right now. Opening new mulch. Forgot to mention all my daffodils have sprouted as well.

Sigh. Hard to be too disappointed about it when it's sunny and 63 in January. Supposed to be sunny and 69 on Saturday.

Becky

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Yesterday I noticed daffodils sprouting their heads here in Wisconsin, very scary since we have quite a few months before spring.

• ademink
    17 years ago

I have flowers on my Pink Dawn Viburnum and eyes galore starting to shove up from my hostas. I have no mulch so guess I'd better get busy! I also have crocus that are up 2.5"...weird!

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I just checked,(between the raindrops) my garden again,and nothing is sprouting,yet.Yay! Ya'll must really be in a strange micro-climate,because,even though it has been mild here,nothing out of the ordinary is happened to any plants I grow. I do live in the mountains,so maybe that has something to do with it. 59 degrees here this morning,and probably only in the 50's last night! Weird! Phil

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I went out to the compost bin this morning and noticed that my sedums were sprouting and my chocolate vine had a new sprout that was about 2 1/2 feet long already.

• hostared
    17 years ago

Very odd weather in the Midwest also. Temps have been consistant in the 50's. Saw perilla seeds have sprouted and Honeysuckles have leaves. I really didn't get a look at the hosta's but they are not mulched this year so its to cold for their little heads to come out yet. I am concerned about some of my hydrangeas poking out to early.
    Yesterday record rains. Next two days down in the 30's but then Monday again in the 50's....I am not complaining. But as we all know in February we can get hit with some heavy snow. But it sure feels good. I just wish we had more sun.

• ademink
    17 years ago

My hydrangea and azaleas are leafing out. My 'Mellow Yellow' spirea has leaves that are out over halfway. EEK! My roses have new leaves and everything has buds. This could get ugly.

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I know, because I am sure we will get hit with below zero temperatures sometime before the winter is up. I just hope we have snow on the ground to insulate them by then.

• hostared
    17 years ago

What a horrible thought to pray for snow but your right Margo. Snow we need!

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Believe me, I am usually the last person asking for snow! But even an inch would be nice!

• Janice
    17 years ago

I'm just hoping and praying that my hosta haven't previously frozen and now are thawing
    to freeze again! A disaster for hosta for sure! I'd love to see that snow, not like
    the folks in Colorado have had, for sure, but we do need it here--6 " max, hopefully!

Pssst--I'm one of the weird ones, who grew up in Florida and prayed for snow as a child
    and I've never gotten over it, although I've lived in Ohio for 38 years now!!
    Don't tell on me--keep it just between "us"--okay??? Folks like Teresa would never understand
    me on that! Gulp!

janice

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I won't tell Janice! We haven't had any snow here,either,but this weather is spooky! Crocuses are staring to emerge,and they are not due until at least Feb. I don't have any yet,but down in the valleys,Daffodils are up about 4 inches already! I know from past experience that we will have more hard freezes,so I'm glad the hostas are still underground. The ground doesn't really freeze down deep like it does up there,so no worry there! Phil