Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

When is it Spring-like where you live?

Janice
17 years ago

For us in southwest Ohio, it usually begins being somewhat "warmer" about the

middle (or end) of April! Rainy and windy but warmer for sure!

How about in your "neck of the woods"?

janice

Comments (9)

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Janice, we sure think alike. I just finished posting some pictures of spring last year. I had to know how long until daffidols, how long until tuips, how long until HOSTAS. It looks like it was the 3rd week in April when they started really showing although I think I was feeling under the dirt at the begining of the month for evidence of eyes. It is encouraging to know IT WILL ARRIVE. Right now I'm looking out my window and a huge sheet of ice/snow that's about to fall off the roof. Better to look at the pictures! McT

• mary52zn8tx
    17 years ago

I saw a Robin just today. I don't remember seeing one this early before?? Our average last frost is around the 3rd of March. Most of the time it warms up, and then we get what my mother calls the Easter spell. I had to cover my hostas last spring, and I will probably have to do it again this spring. I am so ready for spring.

• von1
    17 years ago

NOT EARLY ENOUGH!!!!!
    The catalogues start after Christmas to whet our appetites and frustrate us. We'll just have to keep looking at the great pictures being posted .
    Von

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

My zone 5 is similar to Janices'. It starts warming a bit by the end of April, but then there is always that chance of a late frost until May 15th.
    I am so anxious for spring this year, just to see all my new hostas planted last year come up.

What a great idea McT had to chronicle springs arrival with pictures. Beautiful pictures!

Janet

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Sorry to make ya'll cry,but my hostas start to come up in March,and by mid April all hostas are up. montana-Aureomarginata came up last year on Feb.28th! I wish it would wait until later,but that's the nature of the beast! Phil

• tsbccowboy
    17 years ago

Minnesota is a bit behind NC (by about a month). Hostas are just starting to come up in late April and they are getting fuller towards the end of May.

Cowboy

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Progression

• wildflower59
    17 years ago

i like Phil, dont have long to wait. Here in va, march the garden begins to appear and by middle of april most of all hosta are up and unfurled.

wild

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Early to mid-March for me.

It seems I am usually pruning the roses around my birthday (late March) so that is when the forsythia is in bloom. The daffys start a few weeks earlier.

Hostas are peeking in April and looking lush by mid-May.

Alexa

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, Alexa, we do share close birthdays, but I've never experienced forsythia blooming
    on my birthday---I don't think!!! I'll have to really pay closer attention this year!

I have celebrated Easter on mine, but that is a rare occasion!

janice