Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Hosta pre-season frenzy...

ademink
17 years ago

Ok folks...'fess up. How many pre-season hostas have you purchased so far? :) I'm curious to know if anyone is as sick as me. LOL

andrea

Comments (32)

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

You have to tell us how many you ordered first! Just 23 for me.

Teresa

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Only 13 for me so far...I keep telling myself I'm runnung out of space. Here's what I've ordered to date. (Thanks for pointing out Frosty Morn Teresa).

Blutenspiel
    Chickadee
    Delta Pride
    Eskimo Pie
    Fascination
    Frosty Morn
    Grand Marquee
    Paradise Island
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Ruffed Up
    Toy Soldier
    White Feather
    Yellow Submarine

Donna

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Frosty Morn? Oh that's right! I have an order with White Oak too! lol

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Just yesterday I started looking up some that are on my list and comparing prices.
    Nothing ordered yet, but here's what is on my list:

Deja Blue
    Dust Devil
    Eye Declare
    Pewterware
    Prairie Sky
    Silver Eagle
    Silver Threads and Golden Needles

This will be this first time I've ever ordered hosta through the mail.

Janet

• maidofshade
    17 years ago

Sick?? I may have a fever!! (42) Can't resist sales and I did get a tiller and I do have shady areas left and did I mention I just couldn't resist???????? And 10 are very small ones so they really don't count! LOL

• diannp
    17 years ago

I'm only slightly ill, I've only ordered seven (I think)... But, I do have a bunch of lilies coming in..

Diann

• hostabff
    17 years ago

21 Ordered to date...however watching American Hosta Society - Hosta Auction and bidding too. It's fun!

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I am amazed at my control!! Only three so far....Marilyn Monroe, Bubba, and Ginsu Knife.

Although I did have 9 I was ready to mail order from High Meadows....but their website has suddenly disappeared so not sure I want to order from there any more.

Andrea, don't ask me how many coneflowers I have order though...that's another story.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG...I admit I hadn't even counted until now. roflol!!!!! SEVENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please...someone lock me up!!! 70!!!

I'm hysterically laughing right now and have NO idea where on earth I think I'm going to plant all of these. I will have to devise a master plan! I already told DH he was going to have to move our privacy fence back until it touches the alley...easement schmeasement! LOL

Jen, make me feel better and tell me how many coneflowers (are there really that many varieties??? enlighten me!).

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Andrea - the term pre-season frenzy definetely applies to you!

T

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gee...ya think? roflol

So many of them are liners though...does that count????

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I've only ordered 15 so far but that's just the begining. I've just been introduced to a new mail order in Canada and the list is growing. The main mail order I use doesn't post their 2007 list until April so I have that to look forward to.

Ademink - 70! Don't I wish. The most in one year for me has been 50. That's not for lack of desire, just money. I have a whole untaped space just waiting. It would double or triple the space for Hostas. I worked up a rationalization for buying more plants a couple years ago. It went something like this.

You have to order a minimum # of plants from each nursery
    Certain numbers are unlucky so you have to add one.
    Nothing under $10 counts
    Nothing from a new Nursery counts since you're just trying them out.
    One or two plants here or there bought locally don't count because they're paid with general expenses money
    All gifts of money during the year go to hostas
    Whatever amount you save buying from a lower priced Nursery is "hosta money" and must be spent on hostas.
    If you cross something off your "list" another plant MUST be added.
    Any bill for anything during the year that's less than expected is HOSTA MONEY
    money you save during the year by cutting your own hair is HOSTA MONEY

You get the idea. It's amazing how much it stretches the budget!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I'm doing all I can to hold back. I've got another expensive terracing project this year to pay for. Then my yard will be done!

• hostabff
    17 years ago

Teresa,
    Are you sure it will be done? lol I have never known a gardener that couldn't fine one more project to do....

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Naaah, never done!

I like your rules, McT!!!! I sell like mad on Ebay and save my Cmas and bday money so I can go nuts on hostas! Then I divide anything that can be divided up on purchase and either sell it or trade it. hehe

The hair one is a HOOT! My hubby read some book called the "tightwad gazette" or something one time and told me i had to start getting my hair cut twice as short as usual so it would take longer between haircuts. LOL!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Well the part that will be done is the infrastructure. I have a very hilly lot. I have been adding terraces to make it more manageable. I broke my foot mowing the lawn the first year I lived there.

I took this photo before any of the work began. I am half way down the hill. If I stood at the bottom of my property line I would only be able to see the tip of the roof. It slopes from east to west which is a more gradual slope than the north to south in the pic.

That said - I didn't say I wouldn't be moving hostas around within the terraces! lol

Teresa

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Purchased?....none!!! YET!!! I have a list though and am doing my comparitive shopping and double checking with SIL. Last year we went on a two-day hosta bargain spree and split most all of our purchases. (I added 66 new ones.) She's older and has been a hostaholic muchhh longer than I (don't tell her I said that), so some on my list, she may have to share. :)))

Teresa, your "pre-terraced" lot looks much like some friends of mine in Burnsville. They too have made some changes over the years. I am sure it is wonderful to sit up on that deck and see those terraces filled with hosta beauties!

• diannp
    17 years ago

Not to be throwing gas on the fire or anything, but Hallson's have their pre-season sale going on at the moment as does Bridgewood Gardens. :)

Diann

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Teresa, How about pictures of that hill in progress? I can visualize what it would look like teraced. It must be beautiful. mct

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Diann, is it still 7 or 7+++ now? ;) I'm thinking my list is going to be 10...errrrr...so far!

Dee

• mary52zn8tx
    17 years ago

I am still building my garden, and I have 80 ordered so far. I plan to add at least another 30 or so. That will bring me up around 300 if I don't lose as many this winter as last. I am hoping that having them potted will help. We have actually had winter weather this year so that should help, too. Some on the list I am looking forward to are:
    William Lachman
    Jade Cascade
    Lily Pad (for the flowers)
    Frosted Jade (replacement)
    Guardian Angel(third try)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Teresa,you call THAT a hill? Around here,that is a small rise in the terrain! You live in flat land territory! lol! I would have a hard time even standing up in my back yard to take a pic. Seriously,though,I think all of you are insane as many hostas as you already ordered. You can't even plant them for 3 months up there. Nothing showing down here,except some Daffodils,and Crocus. Thank goodness the hostas are still underground where they should be. Phil

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Phil - I ordered mine early so I could get in on the free shipping and discount at Naylor. Those Naylor boyz are such enablers! The hostas won't arrive till late April or early May. I loved getting my White Oak shipment last year and potting it up indoors. And of course there was the year my Blue Mouse Ears was in full bloom for the Easter center piece.

You think I ordered too many too early??? I'm just about to email the boyz and add Dalton's Pick to my order!

Teresa

• diannp
    17 years ago

Dee, still holding at seven, but I hear Hallson's and Bridge wood calling my name...... We have three really good local sales here in May that I usually like to hit, so...

Diann

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Here is a shot from my deck looking down to the left side of the yard.

BEFORE

AFTER

The terrace on the left is 45 feet long. Here it is at the other end of it. The chain link is going to be covered in vines. The front section is the part I will be doing this spring. All that landscaping rock is gone (almost) and another hosta bed will be along the side of the house. And three half circle terraces will be on the hill with one in the center up the hill and one on either side lower down. There will be a path in between the side bed and the terraces.It probably does not look like it in the photo but that front fenced area is 20' x 40'.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW....look at all of the room you have! BEULAH LAND. lol

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Teresa, Wow, what a change. Were you taking the 1st picture - of the blank hill - from the viewpoint of at the bottom by the corner looking up? How did you get your elephant ears so Big? You're in zone 4 so you must have to bring them in. I've been leaving mine in the pots and storing them then bringing the out in the spring. It seems to take them forever to get going again and they just get really nice about the time the summer is over again. McT

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

McT - I was halfway down the hill looking up when I took the picture. Last year was the first year I grew Elephant Ears. I found them at Costco - 3 for $8. The package said they get 5-6" tall. Well they were 6" and more by the end of the summer. I think the photo was taken in early July. We had record heat in late June and most of July and they took off. I did not dig them up so of course they won't be back. My neice took one for a tropical party. They did not have a pot big enough so they dug a hole and put it in the ground. She cut some of the leaves off the other plants to use to decorate her table. Not sure if I will ever grown them again, maybe a smaller type in a pot. They sure commanded alot of attention. People that were walking down the street wanted to know what they were. One of my mailmen is from Thailand and he asked to come in one day and look at them. The lady across the street brought her kids over and took a photo with them under the giants ears!

I was surprised by the lovely pattern in the leaves.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

the elephant ears were big, check out these Herbsonne Coneflowers! they wer over 7 ft in September.

• Janice
    17 years ago

I love the "Elephant Ears", too, Teresa! One of our infrequent posters, (but I'm pretty
    sure he lurks a good bit) the "other" Phil, in Ohio, has some real beauties he brings inside
    his home to overwinter! I hope he'll post some pics. of his as well!

Come on, Phil---we'd love to hear from you!!! :O)

Janice

• hagey
    17 years ago

We have only 25 on our list at this time, but have not seen all the lists or what nurseries that we visit have for sale this year.
    Ademick - If you visit the nurseries that I have sent earlier today you will add another couple of hundred to your list.
    We also have about 12 new daylilies to our list. Right now that will bring us over 350 varieties of daylilies.
    We also have other perennial plants and I think will be out of room, and we say this each year. Betty

• chelielynn
    17 years ago

I've only ordered 4 so far. I know two others that I'm adding shortly. But have been debating on about 10 or so others...this is just pre-season. I've got alot of landscaping to do this year so I'm trying not to spend to much on plants. Especially since I'm almost out of room right now.
    --Shelly