Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Just for fun - in your opinion

Teresa_MN
17 years ago

With so few posts this time of the year I thought we needed a little something to liven this place up.

In your opinion who is the "George Clooney" of the hosta world? Yes - that's right, I'm actually asking this. Who is the sexiest hosta man out there. Think of anyone with a strong tie to hostas. Some examples of individuals that would qualify as part of the hosta world are listed below.

hybridizer

forum owner - i.e.Chris Halson

Nursery owner - Tony Avent

a guy with a lot of hostas - eKn

guy that writes hosta articles for the Journal or other

You get the idea. And just to be fair you can nominate a woman for the "Angelina Jolie" of the hosta world if you prefer.

Comments (10)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I nominate Bob Solberg,not only because he is from my state,but he has developed a lot of neat hostas! I even met him in person last year. Phil

• Janice
    17 years ago

Hmmm--George Clooney, eh! Well, in my case "appearance" can't enter in cause I haven't met anyone that "tied into"
    hosta other than Davemidohio! Not that he wouldn't qualify, mind you, and he is outspoken, which I like!

I appreciate "outspokeness" when done respectfully and with some intelligence and knowledge of the subject being
    discussed. Not sure I think "George Clooney" always does that IMHO, but he does "look" good!

All that to say, I really don't have a nominee that would fit the standard presented! "Sexy" is always in the "eye"
    and "mind" of the beholder so I would nominate my husband, of course!!!! :O) He may not be so "into" hosta yet, but,
    he is becoming more and more "appreciative"of the plant!

Sorry, Teresa, probably not what you wanted from me! LOL

janice

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey - are we changing the rules of the game? Is this switching to the emphasis on the appearance of the hostas they put out and not them.

In that category I nominate Kent Terpening! That guy has put out some really "hot hostas". lol

Teresa

• ademink
    17 years ago

Well, if we're being purely superficial, I'd probably have to pick Tony Avent. I've really not seen other hosta-hunks so my scope is limited. LOL

If we're judging on hostas...I'd have to go w/ Ron Livingston! His hostas are incredible!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes - I heard Tony Avent speak at Winterthur Gardens a couple years ago. Yes Andrea I agree. My guess is that he was quite the hunk in his younger years! lol

• jenlaurel
    17 years ago

How about Hans Hansen from Shady Oaks? I even have a link to his photo...but it's his hostas that impress!

Here's a list from the Shady Oaks website:
    Fire and Ice
    Pandora's Box
    Hope
    Cherish
    Titanic
    Touch of Class
    Old Glory
    Stained Glass
    Risky Business(jointly with T. Avent)
    Miss Siagon
    May
    Last Dance
    Earth Angel
    Dance With Me
    American Sweetheart
    High Society
    Key Lime Pie
    American Icon
    Dark Shadows
    Hanky Panky
    Journey's End
    Lonesome Dove
    Miss Tokyo(jointly with H.Gowen)
    Mourning Dove
    Prairie Sky
    Yesterday's Memories
    Country Mouse
    Imp
    Rainbow's End
    Restless Sea
    Sweet Innocence

Here is a link that might be useful: Hans Hansen

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hans is speaking this Saturday at the MHS meeting. Are you going Jen? Are you a member? Not a member? Want to come as my guest?

Teresa

• jenlaurel
    17 years ago

Teresa -

I'm interested...I'm not a member. What time, where, etc? Think we could get his autograph? just kidding!

Thank you for the invite!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jen - I emailed you!

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

I nominate Mark Zilis. He is from IL and founded one of the worldâÂÂs leading TC labs. He has written one of the best hosta resource handbooks ever and is currently working on another.
    And he is kind of cute! lol

Janet