Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

White squirrel...

hosta_freak
12 years ago

I know most of you up north have black squirels,and regular gray squirrels as are the normal down south,but have you ever seen white ones? They must be pretty rare,because,in my whole lifetime I have seen only 2,and both of them have been here in NC. This pic is from a town near where I live,but I have seen one here in Franklin. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:887404}}

Comments (28)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Doesn't look Albino either. It's got some gray and the eyes are dark. Must be a recessive gene. It might be an advantage in Nome, Alaska, but I doubt if it is in North Carolina.

Steve

• Cher
    12 years ago

I haven't seen one like that before. Interesting genetics for it to happen.
    Cher

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Phil, that is so sweet! What a unique visitor you have. I love the color because it is almost exactly like my Beth - a Silver Persian cat I had from a baby until last May when she died at age 20. Myrle

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Tree rat! You could discover a pink one with purple polka dots, put lipstick on it and it would still be a tree rat in my eyes. Can you tell that I don't care for squirrels? lol

I used to live in a house with two giant Pin Oaks. Those little vermin destroyed hundreds of my plants when they would bury and dig up their nuts. I have held this grudge for over twenty years now.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

I'm with Frank on this one...I HATE them. Don't let that cute little face and magnificient tail fool you.

-Babka

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Sure is a cutie! White squirrels are rather unique, but there are actually 5 towns in USA and Canada that have populations of them and recognize them as mascots and tourist attractions. In some instances they are protected by municipal bylaws, so some of the posters here would not want to move there!!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Squirrels

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry,you squirrel haters get no sympathy from me. They were where you live,LONG before you lived there! I am an animal lover,but I might draw the line on that other rodent,the dreaded vole!! Squirrels do no damage around here,and it would be an exercise in futility to get rid of them,seeing as I live in the woods! You all have your opinion,and I have mine. Not everyone likes,or dislikes everything. That what makes the world go 'round! Phil

• tepelus
    12 years ago

My mom has seen one in Michigan with a white tail and the rest of the body the normal grey color. This was some time ago.

Karen

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Dear squirrel lover,
    I can send you a few crates stuffed full of squirrels if you want.

Signed,
    Squirrel hater

: P

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

No, I was here first. We planted all these trees 37 years ago. This place would be desert if it weren't irrigated. Then THEY came. Then they multiplied. No predators around except for the 4 wheel kind that nail at least two a week in the street. They cause all sorts of damage in my yard and they dig in my hosta pots. Every yard is fenced around here and they tease the heck out of back yard dogs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

-Babka

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I have heard of these, but never seen one. I sometimes get irritated when they clean out the bird feeder, but they are sort of cute and I feel awful when the pups catch one. I can share space with them. Your white one is fun to see. Thanks, Phil!

Cynthia

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry,ya'll! From now on,I will only post about hostas,another subject which I know nothing about,apparently. Phil

• franknjim
    12 years ago

It wasn't me. I swear!

• woodthrush
    12 years ago

I took drivers ed in high school. One day when we driving a white squirrel ran across the road. I asked my driving instruction 'was that a WHITE squirrel?' Without missing a beat, he replied "yeah, but he was gray before he saw you coming."

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I didn't know they required Drivers Ed for horse and buggy??? : P

• woodthrush
    12 years ago

lol - think I'm Amish??

• User
    12 years ago

Boy I miss all the hot topics which push all the buttons!! And now I don't get to see the white squirrel. Man, that sucks. I don't worry about the squirrels here. We have hawks, owls, and even osprey who like to hang out where they have a good food source.

Plus, I had a tiny squirrel with just about no tail come to the yard several years ago, named him BOB (or her). I think it was not an accidental tiny tail, because for the last few years young squirrels with tail abnormalities are coming to my bird feeders. Like, one is a truly BLONDE tail. Then some more scrawny little guys with almost no tails. I saw my first BLACK squirrel up in Massachusetts last year, and was duly impressed.

I have few problems with the squirrels because I have a dachshund who LOVES to chase them. She is a NON DIGGING DACHSHUND. She prefers to chase the rabbits however. They cannot climb trees.

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

Am I in trouble if I have a couple squirrel box houses in my trees, and a swinging bridge for them to cross back and forth on? hahahahha

I had seen a squirrel with just a nub tail in the area, and for a few years, I often wondered if it was the same one, or possibly a passed down defect. I saw it so many times I am not sure it was the same one. Also it seemed smaller one viewing to another. Maybe I just have a cat in the neighborhood with a TAIL collection.

There is also a squirrel a few blocks a way that is a red type, but 3/4 white/grey. I have seen it a few times.

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

The picture's gone, but there are several white squirrels in my neighborhood. When I first moved here I couldn't believe it. They're unusual, but just as irritating as the gray and the red ones.

Deanna

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Fun here, Phil. Put your photo back up. Please? They are really cute, even tho I hate'em.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

White squirrel.

{{gwi:887405}}

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

They're so fast, I don't know how you got a photo of one...

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardenfanatic,it was easy! He was just standing there,when we pulled up beside him,so my wife took the shot. Phil

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Give it a pinch and a twist and pot it up and see if it doesn't revert to solid green. There is a series of photos that have been circulating the emails showing white moose in the UP of Michigan. They also are not albino, but white sports that seem to have established a selective breeding colony.

Living in Illinois, and previously in Arkansas, I don't know what squirrel is referred to as black. I am only familiar with the smaller grey and the considerably larger red squirrel. Both undergo seasonal color phases.

Les

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

white ... tree ... rat

one of my subscribers took a pix of one, it had a white tail only. so it really looked ... like a ... white tree rat

dave

• Janice
    10 years ago

Phil, it doesn't look like your squirrel has red eyes, so it isn't an albino!! A truly remarkable coloration, sort of a mix of gray, tan and white! I hope that one stays near you! I'd love some more pix of it!! Gorgeous!

I'm an animal lover, too (not PETA insane though)--but understand the problems they can cause some folks. I have put rocks in my pots and the squirrels do not bother those! I love my squirrels as they do not really give us many problems and tons of entertainment! I have houses for them, too! I know, I know...

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

gotta love the occasional off-topic posting!