Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

How about some wild animal pics - I'll start with deer!

jel48
15 years ago

Here's a deer photo, taken at Eagle River, MI:

I'll add some more later.

Comments (18)

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hummingbird - up near the top (above the honeysuckle). Taken in Owatonna, MN Aug 2007.

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Those pictures are amazing. We've had lots of deer around lately too but I haven't gotten any pictures. Yesterday my husband saw a momma moose and her baby down at the corner. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that.

• tsbccowboy
    15 years ago

Joyce, your deer shot is excellent.

This little guy was by the deck late yesterday afternoon. The 'possum was eating thistle dropped from the bird feeder on the deck.

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Love the pictures. We got back Tues. night and found Momma Moose grazing the field below the house. The pictures aren't that great but as least you can see she's a moose. She didn't mind my taking pictures and making noise so she'd turn her head. She stayed for a long time and ended up nibbling the bush just below the deck. I'm wondering where her baby is. They two of them had been around in the weeks before I left.

Cowboy, my sister is feeding a possum with a bum leg. I'll post a picture when I get it off my camera. They're cute in a kind of "big rat" way...

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Cowboy John, now I know why there was a possum on my deck last winter! For some reason it hadn't even occurred to me that he/she'd be cleaning up under the feeders! Nice picture, btw! They (possums) aren't too spooky are they? I have a pic of the one last year too. And I remember from years ago, going outdoors and finding a possum eating out of the dish with the farm cats! I wondered at first, why that one cat had such an ugly tail!

McTavish, I love the moose pics! Apparently, although moose are in the other part of the Michigan UP, we don't get them here in the Keweenaw pininsula. Every time we go to Marquette (down on the regular UP) I'm watching the roadsides, hoping to catch site of one of them!

• dmid
    15 years ago

I have one of a little racoon who took shelter from a storm on my patio chairs. He made me a little nervous because he didn't look very healthy, but he moved on after the storm passed.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe he was just damp and bedraggled because of the stor, dmid. He sure looks pathetic sitting there on the chair all cold and scared like that, doesn't he!

• dmid
    15 years ago

He does look kind of sad, doesn't he. He was kind of wandering and staggering (can coons stagger?) around the yard for a while before he went there. I am almost wondering if his family got flooded out of their home.

He actually curled up on the chair and appeared to take a nap. We were glad we could provide him with a little shelter.

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a good shot of the wild turkeys! We drove to Rochester MN last weekend and actually saw two big bunches like that, but they were no where near close enough to get a shot with the little camera (which was the only one I took along). They're pretty impressive up close, aren't they?

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Yes, they are. We had a couple in the yard last week eating dropped seeds from the birdfeeders. Poor little chickadees really did a double take when they saw them!
    Pam

• koidom
    15 years ago

I've been seeing theses guys in pairs all over
    {{gwi:887487}}

{{gwi:887489}}

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Are those rats? Yikes.

Last night we had a bear in the yard, but I wasn't about to go out and ask him to say 'cheese.'

Pam

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want so bad to see and photograph a piliated woodpecker but have only once caught a glimpse of one. He was far away and headed the opposite direction!

• yardmom
    15 years ago

Joyce, we see them a few times a year around here. This one I saw this one in my neighborhood when I was driving home from work. I actually drove home, grabbed the camera, drove back and snapped it out the car window.

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dorothy, that was one lucky shot. As if he waited for you to come back and grab that pic! I know we have them around here and once we're camping 'out in the bush' as Gary calls it, I'm sure hoping I have my chance!

• Janice
    15 years ago

Ahhh, yes--I have fond memories of Florida when I hear their call--the Pileated Woodpecker--you know 'Woody'!!
    We RARELY see or hear them in our neighborhood or part of Ohio but I did a couple of summers ago! I knew
    INSTANTLY what it was I heard and went tearing out the back door looking for it. I spotted it way up in an older
    Cottonwood Tree!

The 'Downey's' are most often seen and heard around here.

Great pic., Dorothy!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

• koidom
    14 years ago

OMG!

I just looked at this picture when I got home and there are three baby birds in it! I did not see them at all when I took the picture!

I just seen the egg and nest and thought I would snap a quick picture as I was at work and have to walk by it a lot.

Most of the time the daddy and mom don't move sometimes they do and flop on the ground playing like they are hurt.

The killdeer made a nest right on a sun someone made out of white rocks right by a busy sidewalk and road.

It's a odd spot I hope the family lives! cats are always around.

{{gwi:887493}}

I made fun of the parents I guess they knew what they were doing after all, pretty good camoflauge huh?