Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Sure is 'quiet and lonely' over here!!!

Janice
17 years ago

So, am I the only one who checks in to see what's going on in the lives of our hosta-buds, to only find it appears

everyone is frozen in their tracks and on their computers to the strictly-hosta side???

{{gwi:887581}}

Comments (23)

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

No - I'm over here at least once a day - usually first thing in the morning.

After that wacky post on the other side - maybe I should think of staying over here! lol

• ademink
    17 years ago

I lurk on and off all day. LOL I just have nothing interesting to say Janice!

Yeah, you better stay here, Teresa. LOL

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, you already know, that those who frequent this "side" have a "life"
    even beyond hosta so you might be safer visiting over "here" more!LOL

I'M JOKING, YA'LL!!! I love both sides of the fence--I feel hopping back and forth
    makes me a more "well-rounded" person!LOL We won't go there!!! Or, on second thought,
    maybe we will!!

Next thread topic: "What are YOU doing to lose wait before Spring?" heeheehee

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know, having read my previous post I'd like to reword my first comment:
    "Well, you already know that those who frequent this "side", have a life even beyond hosta
    that we like to talk about, as well, so......."!

That sounds more like what I was trying to say, all too quickly, between turning "cube steaks"
    over. I'm preparing younger daughter's favorite meal for her birthday today!!!!:O)
    Kinda pre-ocuppied as you might be able to tell!!

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi all....

i am a TRUE forum addict...

i check in first thing every morning with my Krispies....

and now i am having a dorito/salsa snack...

don't think that's gonna help ME lose weight before spring...but i am down 20 pounds since last february...

jill

• phil
    17 years ago

I'm here. Always lurk on both sides. I'm just trying to stay warm up here. 6 days in a row below freezing, that is some kind of record for this area.
    I have some Hosta seeds that are doing well, and my elephant ears are almost touching the celling, 2 more inches and they, as they say, HIT THE ROOF. That is all the excitement going on here.
    phil

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

You're probably right about hiding over on this side Andrea. BTW - I'll be attending the meeting on Saturday incognito! lol

• faintheart
    17 years ago

I "heard" you, Janice! :)))

I've been kinda lurking again. Have some seeds planted two weeks ago that are peeking up (Saishu Jima, Great Ex and Korean Snow) and some planted 3 weeks ago that I think are "dead in the water...errrr starting mix". Those are the purchased streaker seeds...go figure! No signs of life yet. *sigh*

It's been hectic at work with budget reviews, new budget proposals and grant writing. One of those weeks when you just wish work wasn't....well...work, ya know?

Teresa, I am going to PLAN on going in 2010! It will likely be my first national. :)

• phil
    17 years ago

I ment to say BELOW 0 on my previous message. LOL
    phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everybody!!!! So good to see you're really out there!

Finally got the cube steaks and gravy meal done but almost burned the cube steaks
    while browning them and posting between turns! Gravy was really good and being "gravy"
    can cover a multitude of sins! Grin!

Thanks Teresa, Andrea, Jill and Dee for reporting in and there you are Phil!!!
    So good to see you posting! So will you cut a hole in your ceiling to make room for those
    "elephants' ears"! Big smile!!! Hope you get to thaw out soon!!

janice

• ademink
    17 years ago

Phil, you and I are having the same weather. Indy is F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G!!! I don't think I'll thaw until Spring!

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Just impatiently,waiting until next month,when hostas re-appear! We are settling down to 40's in the day and 20's at night,so no hostas are appearing yet. I lurk in both areas,but like others have nothing to say. You know it's a slow news day,when you talk about cooking cube steaks! lol! Have a great rest of the winter,Janice!
    Phil

• diggindutchman
    17 years ago

Janice, I come and look around every 10 minutes when I have heat sensors in the oven!!!!
    and also after I do 30 -40 min on the tread mill,,,speed 3 mph incline 3 listing to my oldies!!!!
    John

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I had to "re log in" so I guess it has been a while. I'm taking down Christmas Trees so I guess that explains how behind I am! McT

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, McT, I have a remaining tree to dismantle as well--the big one! I have everything but
    the lights off. I am having shoulder problems on my right side. I'm trying to ward off surgery
    like I had on my left one in 2000. So, I am being slowed down abit from the reaching and wrestling
    action needed to deal with so many strings of lights!

And, you're right, "hosta-freak" Phil--it is pretty boring to not have much else to talk
    about but cooking and shoulders! Such is life in the deep freeze of winter! Come Spring--we're
    all waiting with bated breath! Is that "bated" or "baited"? :o)

So, John,{{gwi:887583}} which era of "oldies" are your favorites?? Hmmmm--I think
    I can smell those "heat sensors" cooking even now!!!Just "thinking" about them could put 5 lbs. on me
    during these slow-moving days!!!

BTW, John, I saw on "the other side" of the fence, (I think that's the side) that you have spent
    a great deal in getting ready for your ebay business of supplying "hostaholics" with our favorite "fixes"!!!
    Being a "dealer/supplier" to true hosta "addicts" would be very rewarding, I imagine and I hope
    it proves to be the case for you! You're one of the best kinda "dealers" out there--you do it
    for more than financial reward, IMHO--I believe you are in it for the love of hosta and hosta folk! :O)

janice

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Janice - get off the forum and take down that tree!

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Teresa, how bout you come and help me!!! ;o)

• User
    17 years ago

Wow. This is the most conversation on one thread that I have seen in a while. I check conversations whenever I log on.

New England is also in the deep freeze...as cold as it is, I'm glad we're having a winter for the plants sake. Andrea, this kind of weather must keep your shelter very busy. I hope people are staying safe and warm in your city.

Hosta freak - your comment about hosta appearing next month made me do a double take ...ahhh⦠North Carolina explains it...

I just planted my OP hosta seeds yesterday and hope to have some babies in about 14 days...wish me luck!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Sorry Janice you are on your own! I don't put up a tree for that very reason! lol

• ademink
    17 years ago

I still have a santa flag out front...I'm sure the neighbors hate me! lol

Hostabuff, we are SUPER busy w/ street outreach right now! We have been going through blankets, socks, coffee, etc, etc, etc like mad and running all hours of the night and day. So far we've had no cold-related deaths. This is truly a miracle and a DEFINITE blessing!!! Thanks for thinking of them. :)

• diggindutchman
    17 years ago

Janice, You know the aroma does come with the real thing!!!! I just started the listings with my Valentine specials...Besides just praying for an early spring to get dirt under my finger nails instead of chocolate chip cookie dough. Then my first love comes like you said..It's the fun and enjoyment of helping newbies out with their addiction..As for the oldies mostly love songs by the early 50's Do Wop from the Capris, Marcels, The Heartbeats,The Crests, The Orioles, The Penguins etc..Do you remember Johnnie Ray and "Cry" or "Walking in the Rain"? I'm going again in April to see "Jersey Boys" the Frankie Valli story, 2nd time. Getting back to hostas...How many hostas have the name of songs, like Earth Angel etc. That's a good thread for you to start.
    John

• schenley
    17 years ago

Hey Janice...thanks for starting this post. It's fun reading.

John...you and I share the same love of oldies (yes, I have "Cry")...I also have a collection of old instrumentals (remember B.Bumble and the Stingers?). I've spent several weeks going through my CD collections and making compilations of my favorites. I found a little free program called "Media Monkey" that will list all the titles from a CD without having to load the songs. You can send the list out to an Excel file and sort by song or artist. Great little program.

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Candy! Good to see you're still hanging around during these "off-seasons"!

I will definitely share your info about "Media Monkey" with my hubby! You would not believe
    the numbers of cd's around our place. And, I really don't mind at all cause I can point to them
    when he teases me about my "hosta-obsession/collection! He's attempted to organize them
    in many ways, such as by numbering them and listing them according to the numbers etc.
    I know he could use this program to help him get more organized!

John, we love the "oldies" as well. We always try to catch the "Do wops" on PBS specials.
    We even have some of their recordings! I find it amazing some of those "oldie" personalities
    still have it, such as, "Jay & the Americans"! Wow--he can still hit the notes despite what he says! LOL

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022