Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micke_gw

Hosta thieves in winter??????

micke
17 years ago

Now this is really odd, and I feel like I am losing my mind.

I have (or had) 5 pots of hostas sitting out on my porch since last summer. Well I am missing the pot with my Minuteman in it, these are unlabeled pots, only I know what is in them. It would only look like a pot with soil in it to anyone else. Where could it of gone????? I know I didn't get goofy last year and stick it in the ground as I had been watching it for HVX.

And these by no means are fancy ceramic (or even fancy plastic) pots, they are the ugly black plastic pots you get from Wal-Marts with peonies or large houseplants in them, basically bring it home transplant them and throw the ugly suckers away. I save every pot I get just in case I need them, last year I thought they would work great for my Hostas and I wouldn't have to worry about someone making off with a nice pot. Well I guess someone found those pots to be attractive????? What were they thinking?

I have walked around my yard, my neighbors yard, no where to be found, and there is no way a little kid took off with it as I put rock in the bottom, that combined with the soil makes them pretty darn heavy. I am so upset, This was one of my very first hosta purchases, granted it wasn't a expensive one, but it still had sentimental value to me. It grew so much last year and I was really looking forward to seeing what happened with it this year:(

michelle

Comments (4)

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

Michelle,

We can never know what is going through the mind of someone who would do something like that. What prompts acts of pure vandalism or stealing Christmas decorations or killing people's pets who are chained right in their own yard? Some people are just insane and it is impossible to make sense of it.

Or, it could have been someone saw the hostas last summer, admired them and made a note of it (you didn't say whether your porch is open or not but I assume so).

I'm so sorry - You can replace a Minuteman, but not the sentiment or excited expectations you had for it. Not to mention the personal violation you probably feel.

Char

p.s. If I were you, I would move the remaining pots to a locked unheated garage or somewhere like that. Just in case they think about coming back.

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

AND....i would alert your neighbors...

perhaps they have something the thieves may want also...

jill

• micke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I feel kind of silly telling people that someone came up and took what looked like a crappy black pot with soil in it (!!!!) they already think I am the kooky plant lady. I did tell my next door neighbor as he is a carpet layer and is not home very often, someone did happen to make off with his gas can that was under his carport, but we are not sure when this took place. I finally pursuaded him to put his dolly back in his storage building as that would be easy for someone to get. I am kind of worried now, the others in pots are my Cherry Berry, Emerald Tiara, Golden Scepter and Guacamole. I don't know what to do about them and where to put them. I also have 3 new pots with my newest arrivals in them, one I am not worried about as it was a ceramic decorative pot that has cracked so could no longer be used in the house, if they tried to pick it up it would come apart. So now I have 7 pots of hostas on my porch and really no where to go with them.
    What brought my attention to the fact it was missing is our temps have risen into the 60's and it has been raining, so I started placing them among the winding steps to my porch so they could get the rain, last year there was a pot for every step, this year I had a spot free. I placed colored index tabs in each pot to tell them apart. Blue was missing so I knew it was Minuteman:(
    I have had rakes taken, a boston fern taken from under my pine tree (which meant some idiot was prancing around in my main hosta bed) someone stole a old lawn mower leaving us the new one (kind of them) and my sons Hummer was moved from under the porch to over by the trash dumpsters a block away (thank goodness we recovered that one) my mustang got the gas siphened from it and the contents of my glove box gone through. There are some teenage kids that like to run around causing mischief so I think they are the main culprit, but this one just makes no sense to me, Kody has left his mongoose parked on the porch in front of those pots, I did notice that the chain was slipped and the air was out of the tires but I assumed he had done that. he has it all tricked out with those bar thingys on the front and back wheels so he can do tricks on it, something I would think a teenager would be highly interested in, not what was actually taken. Needless to say we have the bike back in our house in our hallway just in case.
    just really odd all the way around:(

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

it does sound like pranksters...

but maybe they DID have an eye on those hostas and maybe they were frozen to the ground till now???

if you have a camcorder....i would set it up at the window (inside) before you go to bed...jill