Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Bluebirds in my garden

User
12 years ago

For the first time EVER, in any house where I've lived, I have a pair of bluebirds moving into a nest box. I saw the male coming to a feeder about 3 weeks ago, and on Sunday I saw the happy couple hovering near a small inadequate nest box, hung for ornamental purposes, but it was in the right place and facing the right direction.

I made an emergency call to my friend who is the bluebird guru and she brought a brandnew nest box designed specially for bluebirds for me to put up. And within an hour or two, the gorgeous birds were inspecting it and claiming it as their own. I am SO PROUD. It is like finally my garden has the stamp of approval on it, I'm doing something RIGHT.

I zoomed in on their activity, saw them bringing Spanish moss and grass blades into the hole, and finally they felt secure enough in their claim, that they perched on a bare limb of a nearby young pecan tree, just to keep an eye on their new home, more than likely. I am a nut for birds, both parrots and wild birds, so I hope I do not bore anyone.

I share here a couple of the pictures. If you wish to see more, I have an album of my wildbirds in the backyard at the Webshots link shown below.

God must have been having a good day when he created birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: CaptGrisGris Webshots Albums

Comments (3)

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Lucky lucky you!!! A few years ago while visiting friends in North Carolina we watched a pair of bluebirds set up housekeeping in a house attached to a beautiful dogwood tree. What a treat. They are certainly beautiful.
    Jan

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I like Bluebirds also,but the only place they like to inhabit is down in the valley near the fields. I see them flying across the road every time I drive down there. They won't come into the woods,where I live. We do get Blue Buntings when they pass thru,and the ubiquitous Blue Jay,of course. Good luck with them! Phil

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is our first year to host the bluebirds. I think it is because we've trimmed out the pine trees and there is a bit more open space. I'm also thinking the nesting pair of bluebirds might be very young, and nest sites are at a premium.

The morning they arrived looking for a nestbox, I had a fake box hanging on the yew stump (I cut things tall to use not short to get in my way) and they tried very diligently to enter the hole and could not. That's when I called my friend, who has a big property right on the river, and asked for help with any box she might provide. Sure enough, she had two new boxes about to go up, and she brought one over right away. Within an hour or two, I had it up (a little clumsy but up)and they were sitting on top of it. Whew, that was a close call!

I moved into this white stucco cottage the spring after Katrina destroyed our new house on the river--only lived there a month--and while this smaller house was not perfect for us, we've grown tired of relocating, and I'm eager to stay put where I can garden to my heart's content, and keep in touch with all the wildlife frequenting the area.

Just last week, I got the NWF to certify my property as a BACKYARD HABITAT and the sign for it is on its way here now.

Grandma's rock!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Habitat Certification

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!