Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsbccowboy

Hummingbird Migration Map

tsbccowboy
17 years ago

The first sightings of Hummingbirds, in my area of Minnesota, coincide with Hosta eyes starting to pop up. So, I like to watch the Hummingbird migration progession on a map at this site:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

When the Hummingbirds arrive, I know the Hostas will soon follow.

Hope you enjoy the site,

Cowboy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map

Comments (13)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Interesting,but around here they appear every year on April 15th,long after all hostas are up! I can put out my hummer feeder on Apr. 14th,and the next day,there they are!You can count on it! Phil

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Hey Phil -

what happenes if you put up the feeder earlier? Maybe they are already in the area but have no reason to go to your yard since you do not have the feeder up?

Anyway, thanks cowboy - it's a neat map to reference!

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Actually,you're right Alexa! They have scouts in the area probably about that time every year. But,they seem to remember where the feeders were from year-to year and always return,each year. I'm just relating what happens here. I've even seen them when I forgot to put up the feeder on time,and they come cruising by looking for it! Phil

• bunnycat
    17 years ago

They must remember. Since I started putting out a feeder at our Adirondack camp years ago, I can expect them to show up and peek in the windows while we are unpacking. They are otherwise shy up there in the woods, unlike the tame ones at home. They cruise in slow motion back and forth horizontally across the all-glass porch, looking in, acting like they have been impatiently awaiting our arrival for the season.
    ~Bunnycat

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link, Cowboy! I saved it to peek in on later. I have counted 15 hummers here at once, one time. So entertaining! They "buzz" eachother and argue amongst themselves. I don't know if it is a mating ritual or competitiveness, but a few have let me get very close because they are used to me, I guess. If I get a camera, they disappear, every time. lol

• megaul
    17 years ago

Just what I'm waiting for! H&H Season. Hosta and hummingbirds...doesn't get any better than that.

• tsbccowboy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Megaul, as always, you have such beautiful photos.

Is Megaul posting just another sign of Spring?

Come on Spring, Hummingbirds and Hostas!

Any more Hummingbird pictures out there?

Cowboy

• vinmn
    15 years ago

It's May 15th 2008. My hostas are springing up but my hummingbirds aren't showing up yet??!! I'm hoping they come soon. It's been a long cool spring so maybe that's the problem. Has anyone seen them in my area yet?? I live just south of Minneapolis.

• bunnycat
    15 years ago

I live in western NY. Don't know what is going on at our camp in the Adirondacks, haven't been there yet, but the male showed up here about 10 days ago. Looked in my kitchen window, demanding his feeder. Promptly put one out. If it's going to be like last year, the females won't show up for a while longer. During the summer they all fight over the 4 feeders. Very ornery and territorial. Mine don't "get along" like other people's hummers seem to.

• tsbccowboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

vinmn,

I saw my first Hummingbird on Friday, May 16th here in Apple Valley. Now, if all my Hostas would come up I would be a happy camper. It seems like everything is behind last year.

cowboy

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Thanks for the hummingbird info cowboy, very interesting! I have to start taking notice of garden visitors, like the hummers and butterflies.

Donna

• davemidohio
    15 years ago

I've got a few hummer pics - most or these are from this year. I love 'em!!!

{{gwi:887970}}
    {{gwi:887972}}

{{gwi:887974}}
    {{gwi:887976}}

{{gwi:887978}}

• Janice
    15 years ago

AWESOME pics. Dave!! You must have a great camera! ;o)

We had a hummer show up a couple of days ago!
    I need to put out all the other feeders I have!
    I've just got one up right now!

I need to get a fuschia, too!