Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buff24

Not a hosta, but what is it??

buff24
17 years ago

Hello all!! Glad to be back here for another fun-filled year of hosta madness!! Last year towards the end of the season, I took a trip with Janice, poppi, and poppi's sister to Cory's Wildflowers down in Chillicothe, OH, and brought back a few hosta treasures. Anyway, one of mine (an interesting Gold Standard sport) was "freshly dug" on the spot by Mr. Cory. This year I have some sort of "bonus plant/weed/flower" coming up right along side the hosta that appears to have tagged along for the ride. Please see the pics below and if anyone can help me identify it, I would appreciate it! I mostly want to know if it is some sort of invasive weed that will spread like wildfire and if I should rip it out before it gets out of control?? Thanks for the help!

Buff

P.S. Sorry these pictures might be sort of big, but I wanted you to be able to see the tiny purplish-blue flowers up close.

Comments (10)

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

OMG Buff that is a Virginia Bluebells flower!
    It is a native woodland plant here in IL and not invasive. In fact it will totally disappear when it is done blooming.

Plant it and enjoy it!

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Bluebells

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Beautiful!

Enjoy the freebie! As Buff mentioned, it is a Va Bluebell. I have )unsuccessfully) tried to move them to my garden and never had them take...

Alexa

• buff24
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, great! Thanks so much for the information. I was hoping it wouldn't be something invasive, since the little flowers are so pretty... I will leave them and hopefully they will survive! The only bad part is this part of my yard gets nearly full-sun all day, and from the link Janet posted, it said the plant prefers some shade or partial sun... I guess I could try moving them to a shadier spot? I wonder when the best time of year to do that would be... I suppose once they die back I won't be able to tell where they are anymore... Hmmmm...

Thanks again,
    Buff

• hostasformez4
    17 years ago

I got my VA bluebells as a suprise too and love then. Now last year I saw a couple of white ones growing in the garden I got mine from. I am going to be bold and ask them if I could have one if they return this spring!! They aren't blooming here yet so I have to wait.

Connie

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Buff, I got out my native wildflower book and here is what it says...

"This plant can be propagated from either seeds or root divisions. Seeds can be planted in summer or fall, but germinate best in spring if chilled during winter. Seeds should be planted about ¼" deep and kept moist. It takes about 3 years for seedlings to mature and flower.
    Divide roots just after the top of the plant begins to wither. It is agood idea to mark the location of mature plants to use as propagation stock before their tops disappear in early summer. Set root segments, each with at least one bud, 1 inch deep and give a light mulch of deciduous leaves. Once established Virginia Bluebells will selfseed readily.
    Virginia Bluebells adapt well to the garden, their only requirement is moist soil. They can be planted successfully in full sun to partial shade, and they tolerate soils that are moderately acid to slightly alkaline (pH 5.5-8)."

You have a very healthy looking plant there, so keep it moist, and I'm sure it will do well. It's beautiful!
    What a nice surprise to receive along with a hosta!

Bluebells are one of plants I enjoy seeing in the spring when I am taking hikes through the woods.
    Enjoy!
    Janet

• hostared
    17 years ago

Those are very cool. What a nice surprise.

• buff24
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janet, thanks so much for all the great info on the Virginia Bluebells! I am so excited that I got an actual plant/wildflower, as opposed to some random weed that could have tagged along with the hosta... Now the little flowers have lengthened and some are opening up! I will have to take another picture (before our upcoming cold snap) to post for you all.
    Thanks again,
    Buff
    P.S. I am thinking of leaving it in the spot it's planted, even though it will get full sun... it seems to be happy, and by the time the hosta next to it comes up and leafs out, it will likely be time for the bluebells to die back anyway.

• buff24
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Couple more pics of my bluebells... Sorry they're a bit blurry. I just took the pics, and it's FREEZING outside, so I was in a bit of a rush...

Buff

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Very pretty!
    I love Bluebells!

• jel48
    16 years ago

I love bluebells too. I got my seeds from a GW'ebber in Tennesee and they are lovely.