Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostared

Not a Hosta Question! Cat lovers PLEASE read.

hostared
17 years ago

Why would a 2 year old neutered house cat poop outside of his box and in a corner. This box is spotless everyday (the spoiled little feline). The past 3 mornings he has done this. The hubby is not happy with his little friend.

The only thing that has changed is the cat litter. Which is still the same brand but looks the same but it is for smaller spaces. But that was 2 weeks ago this has been a few days. He just used it to pee in and never misses there.

And no, (Iams) he eats natural cat food by Natures Variety. So he's a healthy hefty guy. Looking at me right now...if I could only read his mind the little #%&*!

Gloria

Comments (8)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

From my experience,cats don't like changes in their routine.Like changing his litter. I have 2 cats,a male Maine Coon cat and a female domestic shorthair. Neither of them do this,but when we lived in Florida,we had a male cat,who used to mark his territory,in the house,because outside cats used to come around and aggrivate him. The urine smell got really bad. Maybe it's just male cats who are weird,but even our male cat,is very messy,when it comes to the litter box,whereas the female one is very festidious and always covers everything up. I don't everything about cats,but they are alike in most respects,but very different in others. Hope this helps! Phil

• ademink
    17 years ago

Yes, change back the litter and fast. LOL I have a huge male (half manx) and when he was around 2.5, he decided that the litter box was too small so he used an empty under the bed storage box.

We now use under the bed storage boxes for litter boxes. lol

You can use ones w/ high sides or low sides, depending on the cats preference. They like a lot of room to move around and scratch, etc. The litter boxes are often too small for larger males.

Try getting one of the boxes and filling it w/ his old type of litter and see what happens.

By the way...I am an expert...we have 5 cats LOL

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I have to put my 2 cents in also. I agree with what everyone above said. I'd change the litter back. I'd also try to watch when he goes if possible and see if he's straining or "restless" at all. He could have some medical thing that makes him un-easy enough to move around and end up in the corner.

Phil, it's not just male cats that spray - unfortunately. I've seen my female cats do this too. I raised persians for a while and my all time high (counding kittens) was 16. They were everywhere - like hostas. I loved it but now all are fixed and 4 of them quite elderly.

Good luck Gloria.

mct

• hostared
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all,
    And females do spray. Along time ago we had a female who was fixed. We went for a walk. And she walked up to a tree and sprayed...I nearly died.

But this good ol boy does not spray or else we wouldn't have him. He was fixed very early and has been good boy except this.

I am going to change back to the regular litter and see what happens. His box is very large and always clean.
    Although if I had multiple cats the under bed storage bin is a good idea.

To watch him he goes once a day and that is when he eats...personally he doesn't like anyone watching him...he's a big pussy...can I say that on the forum! lol

Thank all.

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

Both my cats are female, almost 4 years old. I also agree that they can be extremely finicky about their litter AND the size of their box. I had to get one of them declawed when we moved...she was clawing everything, especially ME whenever she wanted to knead me. The vet insisted that I use "Yesterday's News" litter (one made out of newspaper) instead of their regular scoopable clay type. NEITHER cat would use the box until I switched back.

And if I try to use too small a box (like the one I used when we moved and had to confine them to a huge kennel for the day), the BMs didn't make it into the box.

I've also had female cats in the past with bladder issues that would spray, especially in the spring...It is not just males that spray. And they were spayed.

Char

• hostared
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mr Cat is back in his litter box.
    Went back to his old litter.
    Surprised me that even the same brand had him looking somewhere else.
    Thanks all for the advise.

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Glad to hear that Gloria. When the cat's happy, everyone's happy, lol.

Cats are such creatures of habit that even the most miniscule change can throw them off their routine. Whenever a change has to be made, be it with food, litter or whatever, it's best to do it gradually.

There must have been some little difference, like smell perhaps, that your cat could detect and didn't feel comfortable "doing his duty" in the new litter.

Glad things are back to normal and kitty is well!

Janet

• ademink
    17 years ago

YAY Gloria! Cats are SO bizarre, aren't they? Our problem is that we have to please a whole little tribe w/ the same thing....doesn't always work. LOL

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths