Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Anyone near Indy want a cat? She needs a home fast!!!

ademink
17 years ago

Well, the ever-present saga of unwanted animals in our neighborhood continues. I've managed to place more strays than I can remember and now on deck we have a special little fluffy girl.

Very petite, all black female little cat. She used to be very shy but I've tamed her down to where if you are bent down, she jump on your back, to your shoulder and kiss your face - so sweet!!!!

One minor detail...she's expecting kittens!

She is probably going to have them in 2 weeks or so-ish. I have never had a pregnant cat so I'm not sure but she looks big! We put a little cat house outside for her to stay in when it was cold and my concern is that she is going to have the kittens out there. We have a cat-killer dog that runs the neighborhood (he is on 3 now) and so she needs a home so she and the babies can stay safe.

Will send pics...she is a little doll!!!!

Andrea

Comments (18)

• goldedger
    17 years ago

I'm nowhere near Indy but I sure hope you find a home for the sweet little thing. I'm a sucker for cats - they ask for very little and give so much love and joy.

Good luck finding her a new family (she seems to have adopted you though). LOL

June

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If we could keep her inside, I would be fine w/ adopting her but not outside. Poor little gal!

• micke
    17 years ago

Maybe you could post this over at the Pets forum too?? I have never seen anyone adopt a cat from here, but maybe you are in the right location for someone.
    How terrible, I know I have been there, I just had to catch 3 cats from where I live to send to my mothers farm, the managers counted 28 that they said they were going to destroy if they were not either gone or inside residences by the end of this weekend. I caught the three I could catch, the rest I know belong to people or they are feral.
    If I was in the indy area I would nab your kitty as well.

• Janice
    16 years ago

So, Andrea--how did this turn out?

janice

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janice, I took her to a "no kill" shelter but the conditions there were NOT what I was really comfortable with. I had no idea what else to do so I left her there and cried the whole way home. LOL

In the morning, I got an email from a lady I know and she and her family were going to pick up the cat and adopt her!

She had 5 gorgeous kittens and they LOVE her! They named her Lola. :)

Now I still have the dad of the kittens to find a home for.............................lol

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad things are working out for the kitties!

Now, about that *dad*---you can't consider making it
    permanent with you, as an *indoor-only* kitty?

janice

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We already have indoor cats and can't take ANY more. He is a sweetie though...his name is Cedar b/c he is the same color as the garden shed walls!

• Janice
    16 years ago

I *totally* understand! We have two and have had three and that *one more* really ramps up the litter box detail
    to an arduous task to deal with!

I hope and pray 'Cedar' finds someone to own, real soon!! :O)

janice

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Sounds like I'm not the only cat rescurer on here.

We started out with two, then took in a mama w/4 kittens. Found homes for the kittens, but decided to keep mama. This was 8 years ago.

Two years ago a gorgeous black & white young male found his way into our yard, and heart, but we could not get him incorporated into the household, so he was content to live in our heated garage.

Then last summer a raggedy tiny long-haired female kitten was "abondoned" in our neighborhood. The plan was to take her to a shelter, but the day and time I was to meet the lady from the shelter, she didn't show up because her van had trouble...(call it fate?) So I brought her back home with me. She just took right to the black & white living in the garage....Soooo we now have 3 in the house and 2 in the garage and hubby won't let me forget that I changed his beloved garage into a cat shelter. Ohhh well.

SOMEDAY I hope to get them both in the house. The black & white male just might make the transition easier than the little female, she's a spitfire, lol.

Andrea was it you that once posted you use an under the bed storage box for a litterbox? lol, I ask because we have a 25lb. cat that has a hard time "fitting" into the standard litter boxes we have and I thought your idea sounded like the solution.

Can litter be bought by the truckload? LOL

Janet

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, that was me! We use only the storage ones...no more little guys for us. LOL If your cat it that heavy, go w/ the one that is just 6" tall or she will have a hard time hauling her butt over the edge. ROFLOL!

I hear ya about the truckload...we have 5 cats. yeah, that's right...five. ha!

• Janice
    16 years ago

Hi Janet! I have a suggestion for introducing your cats to live *happily ever after*, together!

You put the two *guest-house* kitties in a spare room, with the door closed! Go in and out to care for them, etc., but don't let them out for two weeks! The cats on the outside will start sniffing under the door, at the other two and vice versa.

What comes of that, is that they will become accustomed to the *foreign* smells of the other and then after the two weeks, you let them out in a room together for whatever time they can handle being together and then your gradually increase that time till they are quite comfortable being together.

If your males are not neutered, there will be a determining/show-down, between them, as to who is *top cat*! Otherwise, it should go smoothly! Same with the females! There will be mostly *posturing* with some scrapping but they do survive it!

And, I have a large Ragdoll, (only 18 lbs. though) and I use a large clear storage box, about the size of the medium Rubbermaid ones (or larger if need be) and I cut an opening in the one end. Sort of a large 'U', leaving room at the bottom and top ends so the box stays together! Then, you can put the top on and it can come off for easy cleaning. It helps contain the unpleasantness, too, until such time as you can address the need!

Also, having the sides that high and a lid, nothing gets scattered out, except maybe a tad out the opening!!

Hope some of this helps you!!!!

janice

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Janice. All the cats have been spayed or neutered. I'm a believer in that.

But the only room in our house that can be closed off from other rooms is the bathroom and it is just too small to house 2 cats. The cats are all aware of each other. We take the inside cats out on their leashes every once in awhile, so they have all "met" each other. Of course that was sort of neutral territory and I'm sure the garage cats would be terrified inside. They are used to roaming the yard during the day when I let them out of the garage and like to "help" me in the gardens, lol.

Hopefully one day it will all work out and our house will become even more crowded with these 2 additional cats.

I went to the dollar store tonight and bought a shallow storage type box, not as long as some of the under-the-bed ones, but larger than the average litter box. We'll see how this works out.

The "chubby" one won't have trouble climbing in or out. It's one of my Snowhoe cats and he's tall as well as large, lol.

Now....if I can find somewhere that sells litter by the truckload :-O
    Janet

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Andrea it was so nice to hear that "Lola" has found herself a new family. I've enjoyed reading about all the various rescued kitties - too bad everyone doesn't spay/neuter theirs, it would diminish if not eliminate all those abandoned kittens. We have 4 cats - 3 were strays that just adopted us + the female we adopted from a rescue shelter- I think we should take down the WELCOME CATS sign on our garage - those furballs seem be reading it. LOL

Like Janice - we went for the large Rubbermaid type storage box and cut a U in one end - works great - much less litter coming out of it AND no more mistakes from rear ends hanging over the box.

Janet, we buy our litter at Sam's Club or Costco, they seem to have the best prices for good litter - not a truckload but large amounts. :)

June

• Janice
    16 years ago

How about some "family cat photos" ya'll! We are on the *right-side* for that, aren't we?

I can't post any myself, today or tomorrow as I am "in and out" fast with a huge gathering coming
    here tomorrow--but after that, some pics. of my two!

janice

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

Hi fellow Cat people. I also have 5 cats. I had 6 (see my page-?- with the pictures). Just recently Heather has decided to go live with the neighbors. She hates Bo the newest one with a passion. None of my cats really love each other but they all ignore the otheres. Heather and Bo though were something else. She would freak out if he came in the room. He could be sleeping but she's act like he was killing her. My cats are in and out since we live in a very private place. Anyway, Heather took to the neighbors and if she's happy there, I'm happy to. The story I want to tell you all though is this...

A week ago my sister went to visit a friend. The friend wasn't home so she turned around in the cul-de-sac. This is in a residental area of Seattle. She saw a black cat in the middle of the road looking thin and confused. She stopped and he came right over to her. She took him to the car and saw he had a collar on. She called the number and it was his vet who said to bring him in. My sister did and the cat was checked out and found to be thin but ok. The vet promised to call my sister if the owners couldn't be reached. She'd fallen in love with him and decided to keep him if it came to that. She went to the car and cried, bieng a softie and being also in the middle of some personal challanges. That night the owners called and since she wasn't in left a message on her machine. They were SO GRATEFUL that she'd found Blackberry. The gate was accidentally left open that afternoon and the husband had spent all afternoon looking for him. He was fed and cared for well but he was 25 YEARS OLD!!! They knew he was in failing health and were devistated that he'd disappeared. Two days later they called and Blackberry had passed with his whole family surrounding him with love. An amazing story I think.

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay that's a FREAKIN' TEARJERKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• goldedger
    16 years ago

I totally agree with "Ademink" .....McT I'm so glad your sister found Blackberry and had him reunited with his family. Boo Hoo

June

• Janice
    16 years ago

Sniff--I'm glad *someone* sent me a darling 'kitty video' this morning!
    I think I'm going to have to go back and view it, again--now!! Sniff!

janice