Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

OT: TriColor Beech Question

caliloo
16 years ago

Hey all

I know Ken has a TriColor Beech but is anyone else growing this gorgeous tree?

Is it a slow poke?

I just got one mail order and it is puny. I am seriously thinking of potting it up until it grows a bit more... unless it is going to put on some decent size pretty quick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

Alexa

Comments (19)

• greenguy
    16 years ago

I have one now and had one at the last house and if (when) i move again it will be one of the first trees I plant again.
    They are pretty slow growers (at least for me)

I am still trying to get mine to look as nice as kens

ken how do you get yours to keep that color all year - seems a lot brighter then mine??

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

slow growing.. hit the link .. click on growth conditions ... i bit the bullet twice at over 100 bucks ... 8 footers .. 6 after planting ....

someone claims to have gotten the TRUE TRI color .. versus the 2 color tri color.. and he bought more than one... and i am trying to talk him out of one of them ... lol .... as a COLLECTOR .. i usually dont have a need for more than one of anything... but sometimes insanity rules ....

and for your edification

{{gwi:334833}}

and.. ignore the dwarf .. lol .. ken

{{gwi:334831}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

16 years ago

the house is due west ... the 40 foot pines due south ... and to the east is the hosta under 60 foot cherries ... its get full sun in the early morn .. otherwise a lot of light.. but not much direct sun ... ergo it doesnt burn up as fast ... nor color up as fast ... that and a great 60 dollar camera.. lol ...

ken

• greenguy
    16 years ago

Ken the pics are not from this year are they? MIne just has the big hairy buds on it still?

So you think it needs some shade/protection to get the best color? Mine is pretty much in full sun

16 years ago

my buds arent even hairy yet .... old pix .. ken

• caliloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"my buds arent even hairy yet"

OMG!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL!

I am laughing so hard I can't breathe!

Alexa

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

Alexa - what did you expect? Didn't this guy inquire about cup size once? roflol

• greenguy
    16 years ago

lol

16 years ago

but apparently we all digress ... lol .. ken

• hostarox
    16 years ago

I bought one in 2005, and I also bought a purple-leaved weeping beech. Both are growing slowly but steadily. My Tri is about 6 ft. tall, maybe 7, and the weeper is 10 ft. tall. Both costed double the price Ken quoted, but his purchase had to be awhile ago, because I saw Tri-Colored Beeches last year for 300.00 at one nursery, barely a stick.
    They were about 3 ft. tall, and that was potted!
    It will pay you to shop around before you buy, even if it takes all summer.
    Mine both get good morning sun, some afternoon, then they are shaded by my pines.
    When I saw this post, I thought, "are my buds Hairy?" lol
    Had to go look. Mine are still tightly wrapped. :-)
    Ken, I hope mine looks a great as yours does someday!!

• slb9505
    16 years ago

Hello - I too have a tri-color beech tree. We planted it last year. Our leaves however are very dark purple (only pink on the very outer edge). The tree is in full sun and I am worried that the dark leaves are attributed to the direct sunglight. Any thoughts? Can this tree survive in full sun? I love it and only have shade on one side of my house in the evening (we live on a very bare lot)!
    Ken - I see your beautiful tree, how often do you water it?

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I love this darned tree and have wanted one for a while.
    I have two Purple Fountain weeping beeches and they are fabulous. They're in full sun and are extremely deep purple. Love 'em.

I'd love to find a Tri-Color I could afford! Gonna have to find some shade, though....

Christine

• lynnem
    16 years ago

I want one...I found someone in town who has two or three planted right near the street, and I keep pointing them out to my hubby... Beautiful tree, Ken. Never heard of it til you started talking about it.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

Alexa,
    I planted two of them a few weeks ago. I LOVE the coloring on the leaves. This is a BAD photo! Its much prettier in person.

I've read the leaves have more of the lighter creme colors in shade. We'll see.

Keep shopping around, you just never know what you might find. I got mine at a local Nursery that is always very pricey, but the trees were cheap this year! They are both are around 6' tall, one was $89 (in photo) and the other was $59 (it has fewer branches). Too much of a bargain to pass on. Hopefully with a little pruning, I can get the other one to plump up.

notice anyone on the fence watching?
    {{gwi:888612}}

Since he/she? went to all the trouble to climb the fence and get in the photo, I had to zoom in.
    {{gwi:888614}}

• goldedger
    16 years ago

What a gorgeous tree!!! I want one too. What zone is it rated for?
    Glad you did the zoom shot Bluepoppy - I thought it was a cat but I couldn't be sure (eye surgery) a real cutie, is she/he yours???

June

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Love that tree. Thanks for refreshing my memory. What is the growth rate, do you know off the top of your head?

Donna

PS: And your dwarf is still adorable.

• sandykk
    16 years ago

Ken,
    Can you tell us how old your Tri-Colored Beech Tree is?? I have a smallish area beside deck steps that I need either an evergreen or this Beech to fill. I was hoping I could keep it trimmed, Of course there will be hostas in the bed too ;-) Thanks, Sandy

• arbo_retum
    16 years ago

these become huge rees, sandy. not appropriate for your spot.sounds like a conical evergreen would do the trick for you- so many to choose from, and give you color in winter.
    mindy

• sandykk
    16 years ago

Thanks Mindy. I was trying desparately to find a spot for one. Back yard pretty shady, not to mention filled up already after being there 15 years. I'll keep looking.