Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadiekins_gw

Corn gluten as fertilizer

kadiekins
12 years ago

I'm new to the forum and rather new to growing hostas, but I am already addicted! I've been lurking and learning as much as I can. I've never met so many helpful and knowledgeable people in one place! I've read mention of others using corn gluten as a fertilizer for their hostas. I have an abundance of this as we feed it to our calves...so I was wondering how much do I apply? Thanks in advance for the information. Kadie

Comments (31)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

It's a good source of Nitrogen.

From the Colorado State University Extension service:

"Corn gluten meal materials have a high percentage of nitrogen. It carries a warning to allow 1 to 4 months of decomposition in the soil prior to seeding. Allelopathic properties will inhibit the germination of seeds. However, there is no danger to established or transplanted plants. This product is also marketed as a pre-emergent weed control for annual grasses in bluegrass lawns.

Corn Gluten Meal

Typical NPK analysis
    Application
    9-0-0

Release time
    1-4 months

Pros Cons
    Very high nitrogen Germination inhibitor, some are GMOs Till in 20-40 pounds per 1000 square feet"

Steve

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Tilled in the soil you could get away with 40 lbs per 1,000 sq feet but as a top dressing I'd limit it to 20 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. Limited testing (strawberries) showed a toxic level at 80 lb per 1000 sq ft to daughter plants.

tj

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Kadie just remember as Steve's post shows it is incomplete in necessary nutrients phosphorus and potash along with micro nutrients all of which are just as important as Nitrogen. Plus most corn is now a GMO infiltered plant particularly if your seed is from Monsanto or Dupont. These plants are having devistating effects on the world's ecology and the natural order of nature's plants. I've been studing these man made plants-GMO's-Genetically Modified Organisms for some time and it is scary what these two companies are doing and how their destroying our environment along with our governments approval. Originally these plants were developed with a gene so farmers could spray Roundup to kill all plants but the corn however many are now developing an immunity to Roundup and recent research shows this chemical is carcinogenic and in most of our food including meat. Sorry rambling but the use of GMOs is a very serious environmental problem.

Scott

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

I thought roundup was just for grassy weeds.

bkay

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

No it is now used worldwide in combination with GMO plants particularly corn and wheat. The primary chemical in it's makeup is Glyphosate. It has infiltrated our entire food chain both plant and animal. Many towns are banning the use of GMO seed for public gardens and all GMO food produced in the US is banned from import into the EU. If you'd like more information on this goto www.non-gmoreport.com. I no longer by store bought milk or meat unless it is organic or with chicken-range fed. Should say raw milk is the only milk I buy and don't believe what you read about that either. It's highly nutritious as apposed to store bought milk and if you only knew what was in that. This isn't the proper forum to discuss but if you want more info just email me and I'll show you where to go. Our food is loaded with poison and most people just don't know the truth about what their eating. No wonder cancer and heart disease kill more and more people each year the numbers continue to climb. I wish there was a forum in here to discuss this.

Scott

• kadiekins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, so I am wrong at thinking it is a fertilizer, just a source of nitrogen. We don't raise GMO corn, and only buy non GMO corn gluten, so I'm glad to know we are doing the right thing for our beef feed as well. I appreciate the information. KD

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Scott,
    I'm sure this is a topic on the Organic Gardening forum.

Bkay, Roundup or Glyphosate is an indiscriminate herbicide. It'll pretty much kills everything it contacts. Except perhaps for the mutant soybeans that Monsanto produces.

Steve

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Johnsp states++++++ These plants are having devistating effects on the world's ecology and the natural order of nature's plants. I've been studing these man made plants-GMO's-Genetically Modified Organisms for some time and it is scary what these two companies are doing and how their destroying our environment along with our governments approval.+++++

Scientist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Norman Borlaug, who developed a type of wheat that saved one billion people from starvation, has died.
    Borlaug, 95, died on Saturday from complications of cancer at his Dallas home.
    He was known as the father of the 'green revolution,' which transformed agriculture through high-yield crop varieties and other innovations, helping to more than double world food production between 1960 and 1990.
    Many experts credit the green revolution with averting global famine during the second half of the 20th century and saving perhaps one billion lives.

'Norman E. Borlaug saved more lives than any man in human history,' said Josette Sheeran, executive director of the U.N. World Food Program.
    'His heart was as big as his brilliant mind, but it was his passion and compassion that moved the world.'
    'He has probably done more and is known by fewer people than anybody that has done that much,' said Dr Ed Runge, retired head of Texas A&M University's Department of Soil and Crop Sciences.
    Borlaug began the work that led to his Nobel in Mexico at the end of World War II. There he developed disease-resistant varieties of wheat that produced much more grain than traditional strains.
    He and others later took those varieties and similarly improved strains of rice and corn to Asia, the Middle East, South America and Africa. In Pakistan and India, two of the nations that benefited most from the new crop varieties, grain yields more than quadrupled.
    His successes in the 1960s came just as experts warned that mass starvation was inevitable as the world's population boomed.
    'More than any other single person of his age, he has helped to provide bread for a hungry world,' Nobel Peace Prize committee chairman Aase Lionaes said in presenting the award to Borlaug in 1970."

While reading about genetically modified wheats, corn and other crops please consider the fact that we could not support the earth's population without them and there has been zero evidence of any nutritional value in genetically modified food.

Eliminating disease resistant and the crop yields of genetic agriculture would condemn billions to starvation.

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Kadie that is so great to hear. Our farmers are our first line of defense in our fight against this plague. I fully support and only by meat and raw milk from one of my local farmers which maintain an organic farm. So important we support our non CAFO-independent and organic farmers if more people only knew about CAFO farms which supply most meat to grocery stores. As you probably know these farms treat and torture these poor animals-its a crime. If anyone wants to know more about this email me with enough support maybe I can get a forum started on this. This affects all of us. Oh corn gluten is a great natural herbicide.

Scott

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Hi Kadie! Welcome to the forum. I know nothing about corn gluten and like you I am rather new to hostas. As you commented there are many people here who are knowledgeable and willing to devote time to answering any question you care to post. Stick around and enjoy!
    Jan

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Scott- There are forums for EVERYTHING. Don't limit yourself to GardenWeb. You can have access to the world! If you do your homework, I'm sure you will find one.

-Babka

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Jonny most famine and loss of life is due to political entities. I would really suggest doing some research on this before defending these corporations. This recent creation is not the answer as it is affecting the environment. The use of Glyphosate in combination with GMO plants is having a devistating effect on our food supply. These foods are banned almost world wide now and in many parts of the US. There is a major movement to ban their use completely in this country. Before defending GMO plants learn more about them and how their damaging our world's ecosystem. Again I highly recommend you visit www.non-gmoreport.com. Dr. Bourlag's research and development di d not involve changing the genetic structure of plants such as wheat for which he is most famous but done rather developing better plants through selective breeding and not combining genetic DNA from animals into plants.

Steve thanks for the mention of the organic forum going to check it out now.

Scott

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Thanks Babka. I do comment on this issue in other areas and just posted in the organic forum to get others involved. It is a major project I've become involved with so more people know the truth about their food.

Scott

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Scott, unless you think starvation of billions of people is an acceptable alternative to modern agriculture then modern farming is here to stay.

Today we have 20 times the food produced on 30% more area than in 1900. I could go on and on about your misconceptions or self-serving inaccuracies, such as how inhumane it is to let farm animals suffer when modern medicines are available to safely treat them or the fact that glycophosphate breaks down into water, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, phosphorus and carboxylic acid fairly rapidly and that your claim that genetically modified methods are banned in the US is false. There have been cases where some modified crops were delayed and in each case courts and the FDA have held them to be safe and the crops are being produced. Zambia banned GM grain. Starvation due to a lack of available grain caused them to rescind their decision.

This is entirely inappropriate subject for this forum. I apologize for not being able to resist refuting the inaccuracies.

Jon

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

I'm sorry but your information is quite wrong and the FDA is nothing more than a corrupt agency populated by corporate people who worked for many of the companies which are selling this garbage a fact. You really need to check facts before making such statements. I've been active in various US organizations to have GMOs banned in the US for more than 3 years and am well educated in the effects these plants along with Glycophosate found in almost all of our water supply. I did not state GMOs are banned in the US. Please reread my posts. Secondly more than 20 elements including antibiotics and pesticides permeate our meat and milk supplies. Obviously you are not aware of the conditions of CAFOs which should not be the case as two reports one for cows and chickens have made national news in the last few years. I've said all I have to say in here. If you wish to carry on further discussions then please email me. I have loads of information and proof to back up my claims and currently have a just produced documentary of a CAFO in Ohio and the torture the cows are subject too that I'll be happy to email to you. I'm just one of many trying to stop this. And we are succeding.

Scott

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

FDA approval? Like with Michael Taylor's help? Lets see how Mr. Taylor's career went...counsel to the FDA, then private sector lawyer representing Monsanto, then Deputy Commissioner for Policy for the FDA, then administrator of the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service, back to Monsanto as VP for Public Policy (think lobbyists) and now he's our food tsar. Nah, nothing stanky there...

tj

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Tsugajunkie oh so true. Also NO STUDIES have ever been done on the safety of GMOs and human consumption. And FDA approval ugh what a joke. Just like them approving rBGH hormone added to milk and approval of Aspertame guess who makes that-Monsanto. If anyone is further interested in more information on this and other related issues please go to the post I have in the Organic Gardening Forum-GMO plants and CAFOs. I have a ton of information from doctors, scientists and other experts from all over the world I can share so those who don't know the truth can be informed.

Scott

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Hey, Guys, this is the HOSTA forum, not the GMO debate place. Enogh, already. Give it a break!

bkay

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Scott,

"Dr. Bourlag's research and development did not involve changing the genetic structure of plants such as wheat for which he is most famous but done rather developing better plants through selective breeding and not combining genetic DNA from animals into plants."

----What do you say to those who oppose the use of agricultural biotechnology in developing countries?

Borlaug: Biotechnology will help these countries accomplish things that they could never do with conventional plant breeding. The technology is more precise and farming becomes less time consuming. The public needs to be better informed about the importance of biotechnology in food production so it won�t be so critical------

In his own words. Man has been hybridizing and cross breeding plants for centuries. Boulag revolutionized it with biotechnology and improved fertilizers. None of this work is possible using the methods you promote. The chemicals used in organic farming are poisons, just as modern synthetic chemicals are. There is no such thing as a farm where there are no bugs and no plant diseases. Its just that organic farmers are forced to use antiquated methods in order to sell a product that has just as much, or more chance of being contaminated with harmful chemicals. The difference is that organic farmers are forced to use more of less effective pesticides than modern farmers can use with effective synthatics. Organic pesticides such as Pyrethium are carcinagenic and have been found to cause Parkinson's disease in rats. If people want to fool themselves into thinking organic food is superior, its their money. Please don't try to convince me it has some magical qualities and please don't try to convince me of non-existent dangers.....and don't expect me to jump on a bandwagon to help you promote your business with distortions I know are untrue.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

If it's not about hosta it doesn't belong in this forum.

If you want to go off topic, take it to the conversation page.

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Well, as a newbie, I was wondering what the tolerance level was here on this forum for OT discussions. Now I know. Are we allowed to mention ferns? This question is not entirely sarcastic. I have a difficult time not including some mention of companion plants. And there's nobody home over on the shade garden forum. And anyway, it's impractical to post on lots of forums, because you have to get to know the other posters. In 2 weeks I've learned that if Steve or Ken says something, I pay attention. A final thought, I think some cross-pollination of forum content is extremely beneficial.
    Christine

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Companion plants for hosta is something that has to do with hosta.

A debate on organic farming has nothing to do with hosta.

This hosta forum has four sections.

Discussions - For everything hosta related.
    Gallery - For photos of hosta.
    Exchanges - For trading hosta.
    Conversations - For off topic things not pertaining to hosta.

People come to the hosta forum for hosta. To learn, to teach, to share. Who wants to read threads in the main hosta forum with two people at war about organic farming? It doesn't belong here.

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Franknjim, thank you for the clarification.

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Annie, if you'll do a search on this forum of companion plants, you'll find several discussions that will be helpful. I've benefitted greatly from those discussions. Good Luck!
    Karen

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

This discussion evolved from a question about Hostas, so it's valid. Anyone who doesn't want to read this discussion won't be doing so and, apparently, people have things to contribute to it.

I think this stuff is worthy of discussion anytime / anywhere there are people willing to do so. More than any issue I know, this one critically affects every person on our planet, whether they know it or not. Here are some documentaries that can help answer some of the questions raised here...

The Future of Food
    Controlling Our Food
    Unnatural Selection
    The World According to Monsanto
    King Corn
    GMO Food: Panacea or Poison?

• franknjim
    12 years ago

You are mistaken if you think a hosta forum is the correct place for a discussion on organic farming.

This was a discussion about hosta until it was derailed and taken off on a wild tangent that is not a valid discussion for a hosta specific forum. You have plenty of other forums that will willingly accept your pushing of your beliefs upon them. This isn't one of them.

This is a hosta forum.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Since Roundup came up here, we might use it around hostas. Be careful that it does not drift into your plants, use the foam nozzle or spray close to the ground. I lost azaleas probably due to drift, perhaps into the roots because azalea (and rhodo) roots are just under the surface.
    Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

This is the hosta discussion forum - the argument that the discussion evolved from hostas is specious -there are a whole world of forums on GW and on the internet for these other topics. If you feel the need, use the conversations side for these topics.

Respectfully

Paul

• kadiekins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If there was a way to remove my post I would. I hate the fact that I stirred up a hornets nest with what I thought was very innocent question.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

kadie, you are not responsible for what others do, and have nothing for which to apologize.

It's usually the case when someone is defending GMO's that they don't appreciate the difference between selective genetic breeding vs. GMO. Explaining the difference and the proprietary/chemical aspects of GMOs is usually enough to make anyone very concerned. I don't understand why there is hostility beyond the fact that an OT discussion erupted.

I am glad this discussion has been moved to OT discussions but am also glad if it caused anyone to learn of this issue for the first time. It's not possible for people to seek info about something they've never heard of, so if it doesn't jump into their focus, they'll have no knowledge that the issue exists for each person to research or ignore. I don't see how agreeing that an issue is concerning is pushing one's beliefs on anyone. There absolutely exists the potential for GMOs to be a positive entity but *I think* that everyone should know about it and help keep an eye on "them". The only personal belief I have in the matter is that I want people to be able to have healthy, nutritious food to eat with reasonable confidence that it won't have some type of eventual detrimental effect on them or their environment, and I'm not pushing it on anyone, just expressing it.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

kadiekins, Please do not feel that way. Your question did result in information that not only informed you as to the use of corn gluten as a fertilizer for hosta but I also learned something from it.

One thing I enjoy about hosta growing is that on occasion I will find little hosta seedlings that self sowed. I have a couple blue ones that I found about 4 years ago and I have kept them around because they are blue. This winter I found a little yellow seedling in a pot of hosta that I was growing under lights in the basement.

With the information that was given early on in this thread I take it that using the corn gluten as a fertilizer would keep hosta from self sowing. It might sound silly but I think it is cool to find baby hosta growing here and there all on their own.

Don't be hesitant to ask questions here. Usually the threads here don't get taken astray, especially once someone mentions that it is going off topic.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional