Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_haven

Where is everyone on the Conversation side?

Hosta_Haven
17 years ago

Boy, this side of the forum is exceptionally quiet lately. Even on the discussion side, very few new threads started. Is it because so many have lost plants in the recent cold snap? Or just holding our breath not knowing yet what was lost? Please remember that we're here to console each other as well as share the victories. Aren't we?

Char

Comments (4)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Here in the mid-Atlantic we are still int he middle of the cold snap. The weather ditz just reported that we will experience lows in the mid-20's over the next few nights. I am not going to do anything though.... The damage was done last week while I was away on vacation.

Oh well - only time will tell how bad it is....

Alexa

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I think things go in cycles. I have noticed that we have quite a few new posters on the discussion. Quite a few in one thread about the cold snap. People wondering what to do.

The weather ditz.......funny. Rebecca Kolls used to be a meteorologist here in Minneapolis. Then she left and now has a garden show on HGTV I think. Anyway, on her last night broadcasting she said....."if the garden show does not work out I can always go back to being overpaid for getting the weather wrong!"

• Hosta_Haven
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our weather guy said we are getting 1-2" of snow by morning and then another 1-2" of snow throughout the day Wednesday. The long range forecast put us at 60 degrees next week with lows in the 30s.

I won't believe either forecast until it happens. Teresa, that was SO funny what Rebecca Kolls said!

Meanwhile, I've been bundling up and running out to the hosta beds to map out where I have each variety planted (Ken's or Papou's suggestion?) And getting my database started for counting eyes, etc. (Definitely inspired by Papou) So, I'm trying to keep busy to keep my mind off the cold and possible plant loss. I don't think I'm going to know the full extent of the damage for a few weeks yet. My tulips fainted for sure but time will tell with the hydrangeas, delphiniums, etc.

Char

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Hydrangeas,Azaleas,Dogwood flowers are all gone here. I just bought my first ever Hydrangeas last year,and it looks like they didn't even make it through the first winter. I know they grow here,everyone seems to have them! Oh,well,back to native plants! Phil