Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

A means of bunny-control, not for ones like me!

Janice
15 years ago

I was horrified to find this situation, within an hour of returning home from our wonderful 2 1/2 week vacation:

From my bedroom, I heard the familiar sound of baby rabbits being slowly tortured to death! If you have out-side cats or your

neighbors do, you like me, know the all to familiar sound, as well!!

I ran out and with great difficulty sorted through the undergrowth to find a squirming nest of hairless, and yet unopened-eyed

baby bunnies! They were blood-smeared with no obvious perpetrator in sight!! I picked each of them up, and they stopped

screaming, but, I very quickly surmised that they were obviously being eaten alive, in tiny bits--missing feet, and ears--nicks

on their faces, noses and eyes--and for me, just a horrific home-coming *discovery*!

While examining the bunnies, I heard another frantic shriek, apart from the discovered pile and again, with great difficulty, located

the source, being wedged under a small sunken area along a landscape timber. I pulled it out to find it's hind feet missing!

There was nothing merciful left for me to do, but end the poor little victim's misery! While I was off, undertaking the very sad deed,

the shrieks quickly began, again, from *the pile*!!

At this point, I had no idea what was quickly inflicting the injuries and dragging the poor critters to the crack under the timbers,

and yet able to disappear so quickly when I returned, without me seeing it/them!

I staked myself out, hovering above the spot where I had now found two of the poor victims and waited, for several minutes

before solving the mystery!!! Eventually---out popped the head and twitching nose of a small shrew!!!!I had no idea shrews

would feast on baby bunnies! I have valued and defended shrews for their dispatching of slugs, insects and the like--but never,

did I imagine that they would attack baby bunnies???

I eventually determined, in great frustration, that I had to end all of their lives because there was just no way to protect them, from the

blood-thirsty and very determined shrew/shrews! No matter where I would move them, the shrews would find them and perhaps the

mother would not, even if the shrews did not locate them!! And, the final deciding factor was that they were already badly maimed and

would, no doubt, not be able to survive, well, in such a state of multiple injuries and dismemberments!

I was very, very upset about having to do that, as I am hugely tender hearted, but, I could not stand to know they would be tortured

for hours in this way until they would eventually die from the shock of such a painful assault!!

So, for all who have such a problem as a bunny invasion--don't stomp out your shrews if you can stomach the horror of their success

in helping you rid your yard of bunnies.

I, too, do not want to lose my hosta to bunnies but I'd never kill them or want them *to go* in this way! I only killed them to relieve their misery!

I can't tell you, how much I hate doing such a thing! I guess I should be grown-up enough to deal with such things as this, more dispassionately, but,

I apparently am not so mature as that--yet!

I'll never be able to enjoy my shrews again, knowing what they are inclined to do, and yet, I know, it is their *nature* to do such things,

as I've now discovered in my beautiful, and what I'd thought to be, (for the most part) a very peaceful setting!!!

There are finite worlds and beings beyond our immediate eye, that experience a *reality* we more often, would rather not know about--and,

of which, I am NOW very much reminded of! And, worse yet--I am further reminded, that there are worlds of human-beings, who experience things

we simply cannot comprehend, (since being where we are) and may we never be so mature and dispassionate as to ignore or forget, or refuse to help,

if we possibly can, either!

Wow--I had no idea where I was going with this, definitely didn't mean to sound *political*, and I am not making such a statement for that purpose, at all,

but, I do wish us all a very Happy Spring and a very healthy garden--and may you not make any unhappy discoveries, as I have, of late!!!

It sure LOOKS peaceful and lovely in my garden today, with the Spring rains, bright colors and sweet sound of birds in the air--today!! I DO love Spring!!

Comment (1)