Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

New animal thread - finally caught up with the Michigan Moose!

jel48
14 years ago

And man are they ugly! But they made my day. Two different moose, about 3-4 miles apart, on the same day (same trip to Iron Mountain, MI):

Comments (6)

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Were they close to your cabin? They can be ornery so don't get to close. It has to be great seeing so many more animals than we suburbanite's see.

Connie

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Connie. Nope, not close to the cabin. They have tried to reintroduce moose to the Keweenaw, but so far they haven't stayed and have wandered (or swam) back to the 'other' part of the UP. These moose were near Iron Mountain, MI, which is probably only 50-60 miles 'as the crow flies' from our cabin, but a good 120 miles when you are earthbound.

I sure won't get close. I remember once, in Yellowstone park, seeing a moose cow and calf in a swampy area. People were stopped taking pictures and we stopped too. One set of parents was urging this little girl (with a camera) to get closer to take a picture. She couldn't have been more then 8 or so. That has always stuck with me. Those people were nuts and very lucky they didn't get that little girl trampled or killed! All mama moose would have had to do was decide that someone was a threat to that baby calf!

These pics were all taken with my biggest telephoto!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Awww.....cute moosie! LOL!
    Linda C

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

How can you say that moose are ugly?

I think they are beautiful animals! :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

last time i was at iron mountain.. it was black fly season..

they swarmed us right out of there ...

what i want to know.. is how a dozen or so of them.. held on to the windshield.. at 60 miles per hour ...

i thought better of using the wipers ... yuck ... and then thought .. simply to stop.. and off they took ...

idiots.. lol

i saw moose on isle royale ... one of the few animals.. that the back end.. might be prettier than the front.. rotflmbo ...

ken

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

It seems so natural for me to see Moose on a regular basis,that it funny to hear you talk about them.They are not pretty to look at, but I live with a hunter and they sure are nice in the freezer.The one in the picture looks like a yearling.We have a Momma moose and her calfs come every year to eat on the willows around the house.It is always wonderful to see them.They indeed are dangerous,so keep your distance. Judy