Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drgb

Dogs eating hostas

drgb
15 years ago

Four years ago I acquired a retirement cottage in the Catskills in upstate NY. I inherited a well established garden with at least 20 varieties of hostas which I have moved successfully over the years to five separate shaded areas with excellent results, no deer or slug invasions.

The first year I had one Miniature Shnauzer and acquired a second the next year. For the first two years they showed no interest in any of my plants. Last year the the senior male began to nuzzle but not eat one clump of the finest scented white flowered, medium light green leafed variety I have. Four days ago within an hour of dividing and relocating one clump after it had just sprouted (2"), Scamp, the senior, did not nuzzle - he totally destroyed 3 of 5 plants, dug them up and chewed the roots! An hour later he seemed to have taught his female mate to do the same thing!

I immediately acquired and dispensed some Shot-Gun Repels-All animal repellent granules which claims to repel them by scent, touch and taste. My dogs happily ate the granules and more Hostas! They were the same variety but the next day they attacked an "unprotected" similar looking group, while ignoring "protected" survivors from the originals so I thought the stuff might actually be working. Today, however, they destroyed some "protected" plants from the second group and began an attack on another similar looking prophylactically "protected" variety which does not flower. I have protected one group with a wire fence but the remainder are unprotected. I have videotaped their behavior today as they began to feast on another similar variety. So far they have not touched yellow, blue, miniatures or giant types.

I have searched for and discovered no previous reports of dogs eating Hostas. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would appreciate any advice on how I should best manage the situation. The dogs run free in our fenced 3/4 acre, cannot be trained or constantly supervised to keep them away from the diversified plantings. It seems I must either reassemble and fence the remainder or sacrifice my Hostas or the dogs. Needless to say I don't want to do either...

HELP!

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

arent the small dogs bred as rat dogs.. back in history ....

what, if any, vermin are in your garden??? perhaps it isnt the hosta.. as much as what is tunneling under the hosta ... like voles ...

ken

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Oh that's too bad! Ken's right, schnauzers are ratters. If there are no vermin in the gardens, you may want to try an invisible fence to keep them out of the flower beds and confine them to the lawn area? just a suggestion.

Donna

• Lifeform22_aol_com
    12 years ago

My German Shorthair is devouring the hostas, it's a new behavior. I sprayed them with slightly diluted hot sauce (the hostas, not the dogs) and that took care of the one they ere eating so they just moved to others. The plant is like a drug to them or else they're after the slugs.