playinmud

trumpet vine

playinmud
16 years ago

Can it be killed? If so, with what?

Comments (15)

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

I was hoping you would be telling me! I cut it off and now it is re sprouting 6 feet from where it was!

The humming birds love it but it gets too heavy for my arbour.

Connie

• playinmud
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually Connie I did cut it down and it is sprouting 6 feet away from where it was! I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. I should have root pruned it before I cut it off.

I have tons of flowers for the hummingbirds, they'll never miss this.

Donna

• donnie_007uk
    16 years ago

I am not sure what trumpet vine is, but we used to kill ivy, and some small tree saplings, by cutting them off about 4" above ground level, and then we would drive a copper nail (or two) down into the the stem that was left. This saved digging and disrupting the whole flower bed. The ivy and saplings just faded away. Might work for the trumpet vine.

Donnie

• playinmud
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donnie,

What a great idea, I hadn't thought of doing that with the trimpet vine. I don't have copper nails, I wonder if I jammed a long piece of copper wire down the stem if it would do the same thing. I'll give it a try!

Thanks again,

Donna

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

My problem is that I cut off the vine last year too and the stump is now dried up. I'm not sure if it would work unless I dug down into the ground and exposed some more of the root area. Help Donnie!!!

Connie

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

What about painting some stump killer on it where it is coming up?

I haven't had any experience...just a thought. You have, however, discouraged me from planting it. I always thought it pretty but don't have a heavy enough arbor nor do I have enough sun.

Char

• donnie_007uk
    16 years ago

Connie,
    I aint Batman lol. Only thing I could suggest, was to dig til you found 'active' root, then insert the copper. It may work, I dont know. I just rely on 'old time' remedies lol. Geez I have to go to bed with visions of Connie throwing her arms in the air, and shouting, "help me, help me Donnie!" Darn I aint going to sleep tonight lmao

Regards Donnie

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

LOL LOL Donnie!!

I haven't kept anyone awake nights for so many years in any shape or form!!! LOL LOL

The vine is not at the top of my 'to get rid of today list' although it is a nuisance when you find it in a new place it has no right to be. I would not recommend it to others to plant.

Connie

• donnie_007uk
    16 years ago

Connie,
    Glad I could make you smile. That is what life is all about.
    Be safe
    Donnie

• lowsilv
    16 years ago

man iwish I had ur prob . I can't get mine to grow to save my life.:(

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Lowsilv,
    My T-Vine is the common, bug from a rural road side ditch in Southern Illinois, kind of thing. Yours is probably a nursery grown fancy one so of course it wont grow!!! You paid real money for it!!

Connie

• playinmud
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lowsilv, You really don't want my problem. My nephew gave us this plant (from a nursery so its not wild), of course he planted it in a semi-obscure area, and it has gone crazy. We all want it out (even my nephew, now that he sees what it does), I just can't kill it.

• lowsilv
    16 years ago

act I ripped mine out from under a highway overpass last yr loool. its still alive think that late frost played havac wit it like everything else n my yrd.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Cut it....and put stump killer on the place where you cut it....dab the stump killer on with a cotton ball, then enclose the cut end of the vine in a plastic bag, with the soaked cotton ball and secure all with a rubber band.
    Buh bye vine!
    Linda C

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Linda, I'll try your method. Does it work on smaller vines too? How long do you leave it on the cut off stems that are wrapped in the baggies? I want to redo that bed and so I don't want it, the vine, popping up again else where.

Connie