Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Cabin Update - The deck - Image heavy

jel48
13 years ago

Merle asked for a cabin update, so here's the first. This is only the latest of the projects we've been working on this summer. The others are gardening related. I'll post a few pics later - no hostas out there due to the deer!

Gary and his brother in law, Muxie, built the frame for the deck on Saturday. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures! What's with that, do you suppose!!

On Sunday, we had to make a run to Home Depot for decking and for 2 x 6s for the Pergola top that will go up next. I don't work on Monday, so when Gary got home, about 2:30 pm, we headed out to camp, hoping to get the floor in. Which we did.... almost! We ended up 2 8' and 1 5' decking board short. That's an easy finish though, once we pick them up it won't take long. So, after getting that far, we celebrated with our rocking chairs and the bottle of peach wine that we brought along for just that purpose :-)

Here is the first picture, taken before we started on the floor last night:

And one from another angle. This one shows the small tree that we framed around. It was just too nice to cut down so we decided to leave it right there!

Work has started:

Starting the smaller, top section. This one is only 8' wide by 5' long, then steps down to the main deck which is 8' wide by 16' long.

Complete! For the night, anyway, until we get those 3 more boards.

Moved our rocking chairs out very quickly... rain was threatening!

Removing the cork!

Pouring the wine.

Toasting!

Puppies enjoying the deck. The pile of 2 x 6s on the picnic table is for the pergola. We hope to have that up before the weekend of the 4th.

Rained out (or IN) and completing our celebration inside! The flags are to be put up out in front on the 4th. I just thought they were fitting because we were both wearing 'flag' t-shirts!

Comments (7)

• schoolb1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks like a happy place!Smiling faces,critters relaxing and a good bottle of wine to toast the new deck!! Life is good.Judy

• hostahaveum
    13 years ago

All the hard work is paying off! Wishing you both many years ofquite happiness in the woods!

• shade_tolerant
    13 years ago

How nice Joyce! You are so lucky, I wish I had a vacation cabin to retreat to, what a lot of work you all put into it--many happy days ahead there!
    Eileen

• jel48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody! We've done all the work ourselves, and it's not fancy. There is a hand pump in the back and an outhouse across the road. We have an electric generator so we do have it wired for electric and can use an electric hotplate and lamps, plus being able to watch vcr movies on rainy days and charge things like cell phones and so on (oh yeah, and Emi can even use her hair straitener which appears to be VERY IMPORTANT to her :-).

We have an old antique metal icebox, and about 4 blocks of ice will handle our cooling needs for a weekend.

Fancy or not, we absolutely love it. It is our getaway. Laurium is not a high stress town... but it seems like when we get out to camp, all our cares just fall away! We work hard out there, fixing things up, but we also relax totally. It is our breath of fresh air!

That old red and blue camper at the end of the deck is serving us as a tool shed right now, but later this summer we'll be moving the tools elsewhere and remodeling it into a 'spare bedroom' or maybe even a 'master bedroom' as the fancy hits us :-)

We also have a pop-up camper for extras to sleep in, plus my sister-in-law and her family have their pop-up out there most of the time. And we just moved in my oldest step-daughter's camper. Makes it sound like a busy place, and some weekends it is, but other weekends it's just Gary and I. Those are the absolute best weekends. Just Gary and I, or maybe the two of us plus Emi and her boyfriend, Josh.

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

Your cabin sounds like lots of fun after all the hard work you put into it. It's a little spot of heaven for you and Gary. You will love the finished porch. Rock away !!!!

Enjoy.

Connie

• chocolateis2b8
    13 years ago

Way too cool, sure looks like a wonderful relaxing place to enjoy the summer, wish I was there to enjoy with you, drink one for me.

May I ask, are your dogs Cavies?

• jel48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chocolateis, I used to have a purebred Cavalier (Sophie). She was the most loving dog I've ever had. I let my ex-husband keep her because she was 'sister' to his blind Boston Terrier (Ellie). Ellie had become kind of quiet after she went blind and when Sophie joined the family as a puppy, it was like Ellie came to life again. No matter how much I loved Sophie, I would never have taken her away from Ellie.

Anyway, you do have a good eye. One of our girls (Tessa) is a Pekinese, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel cross. One (Ginger) is a Pekinese mix, mnostly Pekinese. And the third (Lexie) is a Tibetan Spaniel.