Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Moments of inspiration......

dansgrdn
15 years ago

One of my favorite times of the day is early evening, when 3 out of 4 kids are in bed. I water my hostas, enjoy my waterfall and look around the garden. On rare occasions, I'm struck with a moment of inspiration, where I know exactly what I'm going to do next in the garden, what my next project will be, and I envision what it will look like in 5-10 years. This inspiration has been lacking lately so I'm kind of excited that it happened to me tonight. This is the first year in a while that I didn't have a major plan for the yard in the Spring. Now I have a fall project to look forward to. This is the first step, it gets even more fun with the impromptu variations on design later on. Where do your inspirations come from? Pictures? Books? Catalogs? or sometimes, do you just "see it"? Dan

Comments (11)

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Well,Dan,I have 1/2 acre of mostly unusable property,because it's downhill and very wooded,but I am always looking for little areas near the garden to 'tuck in' another hosta or 2. My garden was never a planned garden. I just had a jungle full of weeds and small trees,and it just sorta happened,because it is shady,and hostas and ferns just seemed to be natural there. I'm always clearing out small spaces for more plants. Phil

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Phil, I've got areas like that too, where things just kind of happen rather than being planned. Sometimes those areas that just evolve turn out even better than the planned ones : ). I too am constantly looking for more spots to "tuck in" new plants. It's really rewarding when you find that perfect spot for something new and it turns out looking like it was intended to be there. Thanks for the response. Dan

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Dan,here's one of those little spots I was talking about. There is this little place beside the path leading up to my newest garden area. It was kind of a dead spot,so I built the little stacked stone wall out of stones from my creek,and dumped some soil in behind it. Then,I planted my new Stiletto,and moved my Summer Music from deeper in the old garden,because it was languishing there,but never getting any larger. It was very dry. I plan on adding more dirt to the left of it,and planting a few more behind the half whiskey barrel. In the background you can see my 2 Kiwi Full Monties,and Rich Uncle just down the hill from them. The plant in the barrel is Pizzazz. Phil
    {{gwi:889978}}

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks really great Phil. I really like your terraced area with the river stones. I'm a big fan of doing that. I don't have the extremes of slope that you have, but I do have an incline to my yard ,especially where I've planted my hostas. Terracing allowed me to create some planting areas that I backfilled with nice soil so I don't have to plant in the heavy clay that is about 4" under the surface of most of my yard. Thanks for sharing the photo. I really like the natural setting. It's like a separate little world. Thanks,Dan

• Janice
    15 years ago

Wonderful area, Phil!! I bet making and putting in those steps were a workout!!

Well, I don't know how stuff happens in my garden! I was just thinking about that the other day
    and wondered about starting a thread along these lines!! I don't know how I missed yours, Dan!

I have never had a BIG PLAN! I sit down, thinking I'm done, and as I gaze at what has already been done,
    then an idea comes!

My husband always says, "I thought you were going to be DONE when the last project was finished?",
    and, "20 years ago you said you can't wait to be DONE so we can just sit down and enjoy it all!".

Folks have said, "You must really enjoy working in your yard!" I always would reply, "No, I don't
    enjoy the hard work but I do enjoy the results!" But, I'm beginning to realize that I am enjoying
    the work, the creativity as well as the HARD grunt work or else I wouldn't keep getting up and
    doing something else, to 'tweak' my garden, all the time!!!

I'm actually praying, that I will be content with the way things are and not come up with
    any other BIG projects or major tweaking!!! I mean, really---there has to be an END,
    besides death doesn't there?

I'm thinking to start a thread on what projects we've completed or are presently in the midst of
    this summer! Maybe, I'll so that tomorrow, since it's supposed to rain all day--I'll try to pass some
    of it along to you, Phil!! I'm praying if you don't get rain--you don't lose your hosta, despite the lack!!!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Hi Janice! I'm glad you found this little post. I am always finding little things to add to the garden area. This area is a small place near the steps leadind up to my new garden area,started in 2006. Before the power company cleared some of the trees near the road,this was a literal jungle of briars and weeds,and it took me two days to clear it out,before I started the new garden area. I still am going to add more plants behind the whiskey barrel,after I put in some more soil. It is at the base of two humongous Oak trees,and their roots are kinda above ground,so adding some soil around there,won't hurt the trees. Will post more pics when I finish. Is that a word in gardening? We never really finish. Phil

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Nope, you never finish a garden. Not if you're a real gardener. LOL. Some people do like to get it all done at once, thinking it will take care of itself. We know better.

I have more inspiration than money, so I know for sure I can never be done. We've only been in this house for eight years, so it's rather new. I started out with mature trees and some native plants like soloman's seal, trillium and trout lilies. The rest has been up to me.

I get ideas from other gardens, magazines or TV, but mostly they just come to me while I stroll through the yard envisioning what I want here or there. Those "AHA" moments are the source of the best ideas, aren't they? When I try to copy something I've already seen, it never seems to work out right. But like I said, if money was no object, I'd be like a speed demon out there completing things every day, all day. Being forced to go slower, though, has some advantages, I guess.

Phil...love the photo you posted. Looks so serene.

Dan...I can't wait to see your finished fall project. Judging from your other photos, I know it's going to look spectacular, whatever it is.

hey j...also judging from your previous photos, I can tell that you have many many moments of inspiration.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Janice, by the pics you've posted lately, I'd say you have moments of inspiration on a regular basis! Your yard is amazing! I'm still a novice at this hosta stuff, but boy do I enjoy it. I took another trip to my favorite nursery for hostas this week and picked up a few more. (Sunrise Nusery in Grant Park IL. in case any locals are reading). I love the fact that they respond to attention, watering, fertilizing etc. Watering is kind of my therapy, so my hostas are very well watered : ). My 'Lady Isobel Barnett' is already 6' across, very cool.
    Anitamo and Phil, I agree the garden is never done. Anitamo I like the term "Aha" moment! Those are the best. It does not matter how big or small it is, if you have a moment of inspiration that improves your garden, it is very rewarding. As an example, one of my purchases this week was H. 'Barbara May'. I found the perfect spot for it and it really made my day. Texture, color and placement are tough to completely plan for me, so sometimes those last minute additions, really make things work and are really fun. Have a great week everybody! Dan

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Update! Just added more soil to the new planting area,and moved Blue Boy from deep in the woods,to a place where he can get more water,and sun! Now if it will just rain some more! Phil
    {{gwi:889979}}

• Janice
    15 years ago

Thank you, Dan for your kind words--and yep--an idea a minute it seems. I thought I was 'done' for the most part,
    this year--with that bed beside the new deck and then decided to inch out into the lawn another 6-12-18" along the front
    side of the deck up at the house!! Sigh!

Phil--can you tell if the rain was enough to penetrate the soil in those woods? What a lovely setting and I love how
    you stacked those rocks--way cool--I LOVE ROCKS! Did I ever mention that? :o)

I got hubby to indulge me, long enough to pick up two rocks at a landfill area at a construction site on Saturday! I was thrilled--
    he was bored and afraid we would get arrested!!! Meanwhile, I stepped off a pile of dirt into mud up to my ankles in my sandals,
    I really like. Should have worn my pink Crocs--and would have had I known I would be able to talk him into stopping!!

I hope it's not illegal to do that--can you imagine going to jail for stealing two 20# rocks! That would be *me*---I'm
    kept on a very short leash by a Power bigger than the law and don't get away with nuthin'! :o/

Would you guys email me, hosta pics., behind bars if I wind up in the slammer???

{{gwi:889980}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Right away,for sure Janice! I pick up rocks wherever I find them. Most of mine came from right here on the property,though. Sometimes,here in the mountains,they invite people to come and get rocks,involved in landslides onto roads,but it's been awhile! I have even sneaked onto my neighbors property and gotten rocks! They don't care; they don't even do anything to their property;it's just a house in the woods. Besides,they would never miss them. I'm limited,by my age,however. I recently moved a large rock to a different place near the house. It liked to kill me. That wouldn't be so bad,but it was a rock I had collected from farther down the hill,about 5 years ago,when I was younger. Anyone ever tells you that age doesn't matter,tell them they are crazy! Phil