Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Anyone have experience with *Lasagna gardening'?

Janice
16 years ago

I have a very large area, now, to work with out front of our home. I have started out trying to lay the newspapers

down before the guys transferred soil and sod dug up to make way for our new sidewalks, but they got ahead of me!

I am now, counting on having turned most of the sod and then thinking to lay down the newsprint, and then the composted mulch!

I am concerned that the grass will return, but there is already all that dirt dumped on top of some of it!

Should I just wait and see and do the "Round-up" thing if any does come back?

Sorry to be rambling but it's late and I thought I was going to bed awhile ago--I should have!!

Comments (8)

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Janice I've done a few beds using the "lasagna" method. I just laid the wet newspapers on top of the existing grass and then the various layers of peat moss, compost(some unfinished), leaves and whatever I had available. Now that I think of it I dug a slight edge, just to outline the area and threw those small tufts of grass + sod on top of the existing grass before laying the newspaper. No real work, done in an hour or so. It was heavenly to plant in, just pull apart the layers and plop in your plant!! Those beds are all doing really well.

So in answer to your question - I don't think you need to worry about the grass coming up through the newspaper - it certainly didn't come through mine. It's a good idea to wet each layer as you lay them.

Google "lasagna gardening" if you want a whole bunch more info. Someone on the forum posted a link but I can't find it now, maybe you'll have better luck. Sorry, it's really late now I've got to go to bed. :)

June

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, June! I was beginning to think I had dreamed a 'pasta-garden' that doesn't exist! :o)

How long ago, did you do your first lasagna bed? I'm concerned that long term the grass may find it's
    way back up! How many layers of newsprint did you use?

I did google 'lasagna garden' before posting my question and came up with some info, but no one seemed
    to offer an experience in terms of *numbers of years* as to the effectiveness of burying the grass this way!

Thank you again, June! Always good to hear from you! :o)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My biggest problem with newsprint was that the birds, chimpunks, and squirrels would pull it out all the time. I would lay newsprint down, then get compost on top of that, and before I could get to my next layer I would have shredded newsprint everywhere! So I had to switch to cardboard boxes instead. I take apart cardboard boxes and lay them down on the grass and then layer on the rest of the stuff.

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Hey Janice, you're welcome :) Glad to pass on my 2c. Whatever makes gardening easier, so we have more time to enjoy the results!!

It's been totally effective for me. My first "lasagna" bed was at least 4 summers ago, no problems, no grass growing through it (the newspaper layer smothers + kills the grass and weeds below it) The first garden was a brand new circular area in the middle of my back yard, it was so easy and worked so well that the following year I changed that circle into a figure eight (added another circle) using the "lasagna" method. The following year I used the same method to add an additional bed to my front garden (always needing more garden space). The plants in those gardens all do exceptionally well.

The credit for the "lasagna method" I give to Patricia Lanza, it was her book "Lasagna Gardening" that I bought, after I had double dug + amended the rest of our yard (there were no gardens). Back breaking toil that I had no wish to repeat. The book is very interesting and informative.

I used thick pads of WET newspaper- at least 7/8 sheets(throw out the glossy & coloured sheets, just use the regular newspaper) overlapping each section slightly (so the grass can't get through) or as Margo said you can use cardboard (I've used coke boxes, cereal boxes and plain cardboard). Note to Margo - did you wet the newspaper?? It keeps it from moving around and also aids in the decomposition. Cardboards fine though.

I've saved the last weeks newspapers because I have to extend something, somewhere (I'm not sure where) for my new hostas - another lasagna bed coming up!!

Good luck - if it works as well for you, you'll never want to dig again (just the occasional dig to replant)

June

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jen--how long ago did you try *lasagna* gardening? Or, how old is that area now?

• highjack
    16 years ago

Janice if there is more than a couple of inches of material on top of the grass, it will not grow back it becomes nitrogen (I think) feeding the soil.

When you dig a brand new hole in grass to plant a tree or shrub, it is common practice to throw the grass chunks back into the bottom of the hole to break down and help feed the tree.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My first lasagne bed was done last year, so still pretty new. But the bed still looks really nice.

June, I did try wet newspaper. However, I have some very determined creatures in my yard! I can hardly plant a new hosta without a chipmunk digging a big hole next to it that night. Low and behold a week later I have sunflowers growing next to my hosta!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooops, June, I see I posted and didn't go back and reread my post right after, so I missed acknowledging
    your second response and your 2c's! I think they are worth much more than that, you know!!! :o)

Thank you so much, for reporting back as to how long you've been at it!! And the idea of wetting the papers
    to keep them in place is a good one, too!

Highjack, thank you for your thoughts and encouragement as well! I never knew that about planting a tree
    on top of the turned sod placed in the bottom of the hole!! Boy, I have planted alot of trees--wish I had
    known that before!

And, thank you again, Jen for your additional input! :o)