Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

My new kids.

chocolateis2b8
13 years ago

Very long story, bear with me.

Those who knew me from when I posted ages ago (been going through a rough spell that has kept me from posting as much as I use to), also knew that I had a standard poodle, Monet, that was my best friend, constant companion and love of my life. A friend put it best when she called Monet my doggy soulmate.

I lose him, another victem of the recall of pet food thanks to the shoddy practices of the Chinese based companies that make up too much of the cheap things in our stores. Yes I am bitter, I also lose my lhassa and might lose my job because stores I won't name also get these products, sell cheap and undermine the American economy.

Anyhow, I found I could not live without a standard poodle in my life. I knew I could never repace Monet, there will never be another dog I loved as much, still I needed a standard poodle.

I decided this time to go with a rescue. I started to believe that rescues go out of their way to not place their dogs. One turned me down because my remaining dog was of what they considered a questionable breed. Pops was a chow cross, I had had her 15 years, since she was 6 weeks old, she was here before and after Monet, I didn't think she was much of a threat considering she and Monet loved each other. Another turned me down because I didn't currently have a standard poodle, like duh, I'm looking because I lose my standard poodle.

Anyhow, after months of heartbreak, I decided to torture myself again one sleepless night and found a new listing on Petfinder. All it said was young male standard poodle and was at a pound over 2 hours from me. By the time I was able to call them to see if he was still there and get there, it was late afternoon. What I found was not only one very sick and abused, 7 month old puppy, but horors of horors, the worse possible mismark to a poodle snob like me. I actually almost made it to the door before I turned back, lol.

So after a very agonizing ride home and even worse first night, got home too late to get to vet and was sure he was going to die on my that night, I finally got him his much needed vet care and then spent the next year in just getting him over his past abuse.

So this is my new kid. Sure not what I wanted but I guess I'm what he needed. And the final kicker is that I outright swore I would never have one like him, I'm a first class poodle snob and only go for proper poodles, which he is not. His type go for about $2,000, so someone paid good money for him just to abuse and neclect him and then dump him at a pound where I paid a whopping $40 to adopt, $300 to heal and countless hours and tears to bring him back to the dog he always should have been.

Here's Chewie.

6 months after getting Chewie, I finally lose my old chow cross, Miss Pops. She was over 15 years old, displastic, epilipic and it just came the time I knew she needed to be put out of her misery. So it got to where I knew Chewie needed a new little brother or sister so I took him to the local pound to pick one out himself. Personally I would have never chosen Tosh, but Chewie was very instistant on her. And they are like any other brother and sister, when they are not trying to kill each other, they are the best of friends. And as much as I want to kill her most of the time, Tosh has become my girl.

Comments (7)

• shade_tolerant
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a heartwarming story Choc, I love a happy ending!
    I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your two dogs Monet and Miss Pops, I can tell they were much more than that, it is always sad and I understand, we had three and lost one over a year ago to cancer and I still grieve for her. There is always one that touches your heart just a little more than the rest.
    Chewie looks like a fun guy and I liked that he picked out his new pal, they are both beauties. Tosh looks like a boxer? I think "rescue" pets are the best but I don't understand why shelters make people jump through so many hoops to adopt. My husband and I used to volunteer at a no-kill shelter and they are so overwhelmed with dogs that need a home.
    That pet food recall was atrocious. We nearly lost one to that too, filed a claim for vet bills but were never reimbursed for anything, not sure anyone ever was.
    I hope the year ahead is better for you. Chewie and Tosh are truly lucky that you adopted them!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Aw, I LOVE happy endings! Your pups look like they have found the best home ever. We have two rescued mixes (mother and son tag team part Border Collie) and they are the joys of our lives. So glad you hung in there with Chewie and how brilliant to let him choose his new sibling. I am thrilled for all of you!

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

you did GOOD, choc

they look very happy,,,especially the one in the mud

jill

• hostared
    13 years ago

Oh Choc you've been gone so long.
    Sorry to hear about your pals. I know your an animal lover and not just dogs but farm animals as well. Your new companions are beautiful. I love rescue dogs they are so happy to be loved. We have a rescue Rotti, Roxy,she's my friend, companion and watch dog...and I do mean watch dog! She's dog park friendly but she does protect our home. Her constant companion is Brutus, my sons French Mastiff...and what a lug of a dog...He's the Hootchie dog in Turner and Hootch. Big lover.
    I love your boxer and Poodle...they are beautiful.
    Best of look friend you have such a kind heart.
    Gloria

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Choc - interestingly enough, a guy with a black standard poodle was walking down the street when I was coming home today. I stopped and asked if he was new to the neighborhood which he was.

Am I understanding this right? Your initial response was that you did not like him? I know nothing about poodles. But I also have never seen one with the coloration that he has. Was that the drawback?

Teresa

• chocolateis2b8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teresa,

My itnital response wasn't that I didn't like him, it was that he totally offended every last fiber of my poodle snobbiness, lol.

For those who don't know, I spent 9 years in my younger days with some of the top winning poodles of the time, some of which are now the top winning or producing poodles of all time. I have had the pleasure of personally knowing breeders who actually developed poodles in this country and actually worked for someone who was recently reconized as one of the top poodle breeders of all time.

So with that being said, I'm a admitted poodle snob and the first rule in Poodle Club of America and AKC rules is that a poodle must be of a solid color. Shading variants are allowed in some colors, but the skin must be a solid color, PERIOD!

So of course this parti color I now have was the last thing I wanted. But sometimes the heart over rules the mind and preset prejudges. I couldn't leave him with him being as sick as he was (the vet said he was just days away from dead), I knew I had the training to bring him back. Even so, I never really intended to keep him, but again, the heart thing.

So now I have my Chewie.

FYI, his name came about as a slap to his former owners from hell, they dumped him with the excuse that he chewed everything, oh gee, imagine that, a puppy that chews, when in reality, they didn't want to put the effort into his medical and mental needs. Without even going into the medical needs of any dog, if you are not up to a highly intelligent breed that needs constant mental stimulation, do not get a poodle.

And he did chew the first week I had him, but simple training in redirection, aka, a firm no when he chewed what he shouldn't and then giving him his own things to chew solved the problem, and as I said, took me all of a week to do it. He started with the name Ozzie, but I thought he need a new name for his new life. I wanted to call him Remus since I couldn't call him the name I set aside for the black male I wanted, Cyrius, (any HP fans out there?). My second choice was DaVinci, to go with my love of the old masters. But my hubby wouldn't go for it and since he was nice enough to let me keep and rehabilitate this dog, I gave in on the name thing. Technically, he's Chewbacca and as much as I love Star Wars, I wouldn't have chosen a name from it for a poodle, lol.

• jel48
    13 years ago

What a sweet story! I am so sorry about your Monet and Miss Pops, Choc. I know you didn't lose just pets, but loving members of your family. Your new kids look like sweethearts and I'm sure they have brought so much love back into your life. They are lucky to have you, and you to have them too!

We have three rescue babies. One of ours is a purebred Tibetan Spaniel, given up by her original owners for the same reason as your Chewie. And also at less then a year old. I had the same reaction. Getting rid of a puppy because she chewed. Ridiculous! Our Lexie is still a little outlaw at heart (the sweetest ever) and she attacks and chews up nothing more then an occasional kleenex if one happens to get dropped. No furniture. No shoes. Nothing but a kleenex. People like you and your husband and me and my husband gain the benefit of those idiots who couldn't see a puppy past the baby chewing stage.