Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Ken--if I get 'Bird-Poo Flu', I'm coming for ya..!

Janice
16 years ago

Okay, ken--at your suggestion, "I've put my hands in horse poo"! GAK! It didn't smell at all???

When our neighbor, right next door, spread her acquired "poo gold" out about 10 days ago, I thought

we'd have to go away for the rest of the summer!It finally died down after a couple of days! We were

right in the middle of building our deck! Real--Gak!!!

However, she brought me two trash bags full, from her source, just for ME!! She is the sweetest thing--just

love having them next door! I'll take the poop smell any day to have neighbors like them!!

Anyway--I digress-- I have left it sit for about a week, in the bags and today when I went to dump some cantelope

remains in my pile, I thought, "Why not! Ken's *the man* who has to know the *scoop on poop*!" LOL

So, I incorporated some of the *Horse-Poo Dew* (I can't finalize a name for it yet, obviously) that has a heavy mix

of sawdust and some identifiable poo bundles into the progressive compost I've started this Spring!

Now, when can I use this stuff in MY garden? I am afraid to use it too soon!

I have just washed the skin off my hands, and scrubbed the quick out of my nails! I normally would have worn gloves,

but this was an impulsive move, and I had to *act* while I had the nerve!

So, ken--I'm looking for you if I start having an impulse to "whinnie or neeeeehhhh", kick at a wall

or flick my tail!:o){{gwi:890851}}

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

J .. i think you just became a green thumb.. setting your fears aside .... and doing what is best ...

more later.. the kids are requiring me to go to the pool ... must have priorities in life ..

my gut tells me next spring .... with raw wood and active 'nure ... butch will know ...

ken

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good grief--"who knew" that all it takes is *flesh* and *brown* to equal *green*??
    I could have done THAT alot sooner, had I known--not that I haven't had alot of brown
    already under my fingernails, on my hands, etc.--just not the right shade of it, apparently! Nneeeehhh!

Have fun in the pool--sounds like a great idea, to me!!

16 years ago

use your kitchen gloves next time to save the nails ...

AS I UNDERSTAND IT .... VERY SIMPLY ...

raw wood uses up nitrogen in breaking down .... if put directly in the planting hole ...it can initially steal available nitro to the detriment of the plants ...

raw 'nure usually has an excess of nitro from the urea ... this can cause 'burning' to roots if concentrated to highly ... or cause excessive vegetative [green] growth ... to the detriment of a well balanced soil ...

as they say.. moderation in everything ...

the best way to 'moderate' nure ... is to age it ... like a fine wine ... that means compost it for a season .. let it balance itself all out ... ma nature is real good at doing it all by herself ....

the best to to get stinky nure.. is near the end of fall ... pile it up high .. and let it do its thing all winter.. WHEN EVERYONE HAS THEIR WINDOWS CLOSED ....

this is the simplest i can make it all .... so that i can remember it ... too much science.. and my eye glaze over .. and i cant remember all the facts ...

ken

16 years ago

btw.. if you get bird flew from horse poo .... well ... i just dont know where to go with that thought .. lol

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

Would you get bird flu or hoof and mouth?

• ademink
    16 years ago

i hope you dont have your hoof in your mouth if you've been massaging the 'nure.

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my word--I meant to say "Horse-poo-floo"! I need to slow down!!! Ruined the whole darn thread, didn't I!
    Sort of falls *short*, now doesn't it!LOL

HORSE-POO-FLOO---I swear, that was what was in my head,
    but it fell out wrong on the keyboard!!!

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Poo head? Where is this thread going next??

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Nancy, down the toilet, I'm sure!! Best if it does, literally now--I blew my whole joke!! Gak!
    I'm really not good at being humorous--I try too hard!! Sigh!

I'm only funny to some, when I think I'm being serious,
    like my family!!!!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Ademink--I missed that one!! I often have my *hoof in my mouth*
    but this time I did make sure to clean between the toes! Gak!

16 years ago

its not going down the toilet.... its going in the compost bin ....

ken

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's right, ken, thanks for reminding me, where to put that stuff, afterall! LOL

Okay, maybe there were birds in the barn, as well--ever think of that, HUH??? :o)

{{gwi:890854}}

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Lots of horse-poo doo doo in this thread......lol

You'll have lovely compost....next year Janice.

June

P.S. Now I get the "Brownie Anyone"......lol

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I got horse "poo" from my buddy, Flowers for my Farm this spring. It really didn't smell at all so must have been aged already. I spread it around all my hosta beds but not right next to the hostas; kept it away from crowns by at least 9". All my hostas did fine, even the minis. I added an inch of compost over that just to disquise the look,...it was grossing my DIL out!

Janice, you're kidding, right? You DID wear gloves, didn't you? This is POO we're talking about here! I wear my garden gloves.

Char

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Char---No--I didn't!!! I knooooow! My hands still reek of bleach this morning!!! Shudder!

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

Don't worry Janice....if there was a horse-poo-floo I'd have been history ages ago. I have to haul it from the barn TO the pile before it becomes the nice hosta fertilizer. What were you thinking touching it with your bare hands though???? ewwwww.... I'm going to have to send you a pair of gloves. LOL

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Connie--it wasn't smelly, icky or snything like that, it was more like peat with some charcoal lumps! LOL
    And KEN SAID, if you can't put your hands in it (or something like that) then don't put it on your hosta!

I didn't actually plan to do that but when I was emptying the garbage it was in, onto the compost pile I've been
    developing all summer, stuff sort of fell out of control, off the raised bed I was doing this in and I sort of
    *grabbed for it* impulsively! I know--ewwww--but it really didn't smell at all, really--barely at all!

I immediately ran in and scrubbed my hands, using a brush and soap with bleach and all! So far, I'm still here!!! LOL
    Now, I will admit to wanting to eat alot of apples and the alfalfa is mighty tempting, to me right now! :o)

13 years ago

where is janice???

ken

• davemidohio
    13 years ago

Attention Hey J,
    People are looking for you on The Forum!
    George :-)

• Janice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey there George, er Dave!!! :o)) I bet you're fed up with the snow and ice hereabouts aren't you!
    It sounded like gunshots around our neigborhood night before last and we lost several big limbs in
    the ice onslaught!

No bird-poo-flew around here, they're all laying low till it gets a good thaw! hehehe

Thank you, cAROL for the heads up!! :^)

• davemidohio
    13 years ago

Hey J,
    Sorry so late in replying, trying to clean the hard-drive and organize pictures. I am sick of the snow. But you know record low temperatures and record snow fall is caused by global freakin' warming, don't you?

George ( I think someone is knocking at the door again!)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider