Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Heucheras

hosta_freak
16 years ago

I was checking today,and I noticed there is no Heuchera forum. I know some of you grow Heucheras in your garden,as I do also. I now have 6 different cultivars,including Palace Purple,Plum Pudding,Lime Rickey,Citronelle,Caramel,and Amber Waves. I just recently added Citronelle and Caramel. These two must like where I planted them,because they are growing like weeds! Citronelle is a gold-colored one and seems to like some sun. Any comments? Phil

Comments (36)

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Phil I was looking for a Heuchera forum this spring too. Thought for sure there would be one here. There is one on Hallson Gardens Forums however.

I have been adding more Heuchera, Heucherellas and Tiarellas.
    So far I have:
    Bressingham
    Firefly
    Petite Pearl Fairy (a favorite)
    Obsidian (new this year)
    Snow Angel
    and a real old one I dug from my parents house when they moved, don't know what that one would be.

I also have Heucherella Kimono and Strike It Rich Gold and
    Tiarella Pink Skyrocket and Jeepers Creepers.

Janet

• Janice
    16 years ago

I love Heuchera, as well! Three I especially like are:

'Obsidian' (you will love this one as it matures)
    'Can Can'
    'Green Spice'
    'Lime Rickey' (love it, too)

I'm also loving 'Pulmonaria/Lungwort'

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah,Janice I bought Lime Rickey because of your pics. It is a little small this year,because it got frozen just as it was coming up. Phil

• Janice
    16 years ago

Phil, it'll look good again--I love mine even more this year!!! :o)

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

I have alot of Heucheras also. I love the dark colored ones mixed in with the hosta. They are definately addicting.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I love heuchera also. I have quite a few, along with some heucherellas also. I have three Caramels. I just loved the color and used them in planters. They are all growing like weeds!
    Other heucheras and heucherellas I have:
    Lime Rickey
    PLum Pudding
    Bressingham
    Can Can
    Cappuchino
    Frosted Violet
    Mystic Angel
    Monet (my favorite)
    Amethyst Myst
    Snow Angel
    Marmalade
    Raspberry Ice
    Dale's Strain
    Green Spice
    Chocolate Ruffles
    Color Wheel
    Citronelle
    Sashay
    Sparkling Burgandy
    Smoky Rose
    Ginger Ale
    Crimson Curls
    Amber Waves (although this one keeps growing smaller)
    Burnished Bronze
    Kimono
    Stoplight
    Strike it Rich Gold

Ok, so I just realized I may be just as obsessed with heucheras as I am with hostas!!
    Here is one of my planters. I used crimson curls, caramel, and monet (which you can't see from this angle).

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Outstanding container/planter!!!!!

I too have Heucheras but never kept the names! They are planted amongst the hosta in my south bed. You can really go crazy for them like I do my hosta.

A gardner on the garden walk last week had a whole bed of just them, about 20 to 25 kinds!

Connie

• andi3216
    16 years ago

I also am becoming fond of Heucheras... They make a nice contrast with my hostas. I only have about six varieties: carmel, marmalade, crimson curls, brownies, palace purple and frosted violet. I can see my self becoming addicted to these as well though! :)

• Janice
    16 years ago

Groan, not another obsession!!!! I think between the Heuchera and the Fern, and
    the Pulmonaria/Lungwort, this thing really is getting out of hand!! Sigh!

But, ain't it fun!!!!!

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

I have grown many heucheras from seeds as well as cultivars.
    They seems to be pretty short lived perennials in my garden, many of them becoming "old" after one or two seasons. One that has been doing the best is standart Purple palace. Many seedlings from h. americana Dale Strain came with beautiful marbled or dark foliage and some has been surviving better that others. I am going to try h. villosa for next Winter Sowing cycle and see if it does any better for me.
    Also I have found that tellima grandiflora /western heuchera relative/ makes a wonderful substitute for those of us for whom heuchera is short lived. Mukdenia rossii is beautiful groundcover type plant as well, hybrid Crimson Falls is outstanding in the fall.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Hi Linda!!! When you say short-lived are you meaning literally they don't live long or that they jump into maturity, to a look less appealing, or both?

It seems to me (correct me, someone if I'm wrong) that it is recommended that Heuchera be divided when they have that 'older' look! I think it was mentioned that is the case when the center becomes hardened and woody! Have you tried doing that?

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey ya'll! I just found another plant to get "into"! It's Ajuga,better known as Bugleweed. I just planted a couple called, Caitlan's Giant,and Black Scallop. They are a lot larger than the wild type,which I have growing all over the property. I just wanted some new ground cover,and these are really attractive!We'll see how they turn out. And BTW,I separated that Moerheim plant and found 2 separate eyes,one is the "sport" and the other is an ordinary Moerheim. They are now planted in my new garden,apart from each other. Now the dreaded HVX won't get them! Lol!! Phil

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh no, Phil--not ANOTHER obsession for me!! THANKS ALOT!!! LOL

And, just where ARE the pics. to further entice us down that path???

Solitary confinement, eh!! Poor things!LOL

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janice,you'll have to wait on the pics. It's raining again and has been every afternoon. I guess God has finally got caught up on his prayer requests,and is granting my wishes all at once. Phil

• Janice
    16 years ago

Keep praying, Phil, but 'pray' some our way, up north of you!!! Promises, promises, from the prognosticators--that's all we get here!! :o)

• hostared
    16 years ago

Phil top pick for two years in a row is Peach Flambe.
    It's a must have.
    Obsidian is outstanding because of it's color and shinny leaf.

• hostapumpkinman
    16 years ago

There is a relatively new one out there called "Sashay".It is from Terra Nova nurseries and it looks like a must have.
    Phil

• hostasgalore1
    16 years ago

I just started last year so my plants are rather small but I have a few :-)

Black Beauty
    Blood Red
    Georgia Peach
    Green Spice
    Lime Rickey
    Marmalade
    Midnight Rose
    Mint Frost
    Obsidian
    Peppermint Spice
    Plum Pudding
    Rave On
    Sashay
    Starry Night
    Snow Angel
    Snow Fire
    Stoplight
    Stormy Seas
    Vanilla Spice
    Velvet Night

• Janice
    16 years ago

Nice list, H-Galore!

I've tried to like the 'Peach Flambe' but to my eye, it looks like it's fading for Fall!! I have that same opinion
    about 'Autumn Fern'! I have a couple of those and never like them till they turn green!

I guess some things have to grow on us--like the chartreuse hosta--I didn't like them, at all, at first
    and now my garden is dominated by them.

Sometimes, it takes me awhile...!!! :o)

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Another Heuchera lover checking in :)

Silver Scrolls is a beauty and has really pretty flowers (unusually so)
    Midnight Rose is one I added this year that looks like it will be a beauty too.
    I love the frilliness of them and they do look so good with hosta.

Does anyone have a good method for dividing them, I've cut into what looks like a good spot on a couple of "Palace Purple" and planted the "unimpressive looking piece of root" ...waiting to see if it grows. Don't really want to try that with the newer/smaller/more pricey ones!!

June

• hostared
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention "Mocha" another dark black heuchera.
    They really set off the varigated & Gold hosta well.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

June,I don't know if it's a "good" way of dividing them,but some critter ran into,and broke of a piece of my Plum Pudding Heuchera. I took the broken off piece,and stuck it in one of my whiskey barrel planters. It has now sprouted new leaves and is growing on,as though nothing happened! I've heard you can divide them much the same way you divide hostas,but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong,as I see I am a lot on these forums. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK,Janice here is the pic of the 2 new Ajugas I just planted. The one on the left is Black Scallop,and the right one is Caitlin's Giant. Enjoy! Phil

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

In my experience you have to divide them by hand. Dig up the entire plant and break it up by hand. I've tried just digging a shovel down the middle of them and then had both pieces die off. But like Phil I had had pieces just break off and stuck them in planters and they came back. Jen

• Janice
    16 years ago

Thanks Phil, and Jen for that advice, and for your pic. Phil--very lovely, indeed!

I'll try using pieces rather than 'surgery' when it comes time!!

Hey, Phil, did you EVER get mail from me, in any form, from any source???

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes,I did get mail on my other E-mail address. In fact,I mailed you back a reply. Are you sure you ddn't have it routed to your junk mail file? Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janice,I just checked my other E-mail site,and found the reply I sent to you in my "sent mail" file,so it did go out to cyber space,but who knows where it went from there? Phil

• Janice
    16 years ago

Hey Phil--wanna try resending it ONE more time??? Can't find it in any of my deletes or Norton anti-spam folders!

Unless you're trying to sell me some pharmaceuticals I don't want to mention here, or anywhere, or replica watches,
    or stocks or something from Russia or the Middle East, or a get rich quick scheme where you will send me your life savings of $5,000,000 dollars to set up an account for you and you'll give me 1/2 of it when you get to this country under another name than Phil?? Sigh! I get alot of that sort of stuff!

• micke
    16 years ago

Where do you all find these different kinds of Heucheras??
    I have found one, Palace prince Purple I think. I have some stuff growing volunteer under one of my Hostas and I am almost positive it is Ajuga. I didn't plant it, I am wondering if it didn't travel in on the hosta.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Meesh, a couple of years after having a 'Striptease' in place, tulips came up all around it! I mean in a perfect circle around it!
    Had to be, someone who potted it originally thought it would be a nice surprise!

But, I wonder why it took two summers for them to appear?

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips Phil and Jen. I checked out the Hallson Heuchera Forum that you mentioned Phil -some pretty pics - could feed the obsession...lol
    found a link to this:

"Rejeuvenating established plants

Heuchera roots grow very near the surface of the soil, often rising above to become bare and woody after a couple of years. When it gets to this stage the plants should be taken out and, if necessary, the woody parts cut back. They can then be replanted deeper, at the level of the leaves. Application of a good layer of mulch or loam can slow down this 'root rise', but only for one or two extra years."
    "Darwin Plant Spotters"

Phil - pretty Ajugas - I transplanted a couple pieces of Ajuga last year, to my back garden - behind the garage, directly under one of those "you know what" Manitoba Maples and the two pieces took off - it's formed a groundcover about 2'x4' - amazing (it hardly grew at all in the spot where it had been before). P.S. I sent you an email yesterday via GW - guess it went to "cyberspace". Oh well, just glad to see you here.

:) June

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Believe it,or not Micke,I found my latest Heucheras at Home Depot! Very nice plants and they are growing like weeds already! Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janice,I tried to re-send it,but your letter has no E-mail address on it,so it goes out and comes right back to me! Now,I'm wondering if any of my emails went out to anybody. I know it works,because I can email my sister and my daughter OK! Are you sure your email address works? Phil

• Janice
    16 years ago

Yep, Phil, if you hit 'reply' it should hve copied my address EXACTLY and flown back to me! I'll try re-sending it! :o)

Boy, we must not be meant to be in touch with each other other than here!!! LOL

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's funny,Janice,but all your email said was from Janice! It used to be when I got an email,it would say the email address from the sender. Maybe it is a conspiracy!Weoooo!! Phil

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

In answer to where to find Heuchera. I have over 30 different kinds and have found them in over priced nurserys and Walmart Home Depot Menards etc. I just always have my eye out for them. They show up in the strangest places but there is nothing like finding one you don't have on sale! I am really attracted to the Dark Dark ones and I think so far my favorite of these is Licorice. Another good grower for me is Velvet Night. I have lost Marmalade :( and peach flambe and don't know why except I think it was the weird spring we had. I have also notice that they struggle in Heavy soil so I have been adding some pine fines and lightening up the planting holes for these. Seems to be working.