Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Made any changes in your yard--not plantings?

Janice
16 years ago

McT--this is mostly for you, since you asked! Hubby and I built a small (12'x12') octagonal deck to have a level spot

out in the center of the upper part of our backyard. I finally have a *view* no matter where you turn and love to sit in this spot!

However, heretofore, it was very sloped and getting out of the Adirondack chairs which was always difficult at best,

but sloped like that it was definitely a trip--and a long one at that--for us these days!!

Solution was the decking! It's a floating deck, in that it is set on Dek Blocks that are 42 lb. concrete pier

supports or in this case post supports! It really only took the two of us the better part of two days to put it

together, from me digging the spots to sink the first Dek Blocks in, leveling them and hubby building the octagonal

framing and cutting the lumber lengths and me screwing in the deck boards. After that, we rested a couple of days

and then did the railings.

We've got the side steps to do yet!

It is wonderful! I love my level spot and the views and especially after dark when it is so peaceful! It's not completely dark

where we are so you definitely have the *feeling* of the camping experience! Oh, and I do love camping, too!

We can seat about 10 people if we scrunch up, and hubby did an add-on off the back to accommodate the park bench,

which seats two, and having it's foot-print off the main deck, it's definitely made it more roomy and feet friendly!

Here's the almost-done results, today:

So, what has anyone else done to your yards that makes them just that much nicer to be in--besides adding more hosta???LOL

Comments (31)

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Beautiful,as usual,Janice!! It's amazing what you can do when you have FLAT ground! I rebuilt my back deck on our house a couple years ago,but my rear deck is two stories up,over a sloping hill. We have a lower deck,and I would have been severely hurt,because when I was laying the decking,I fell right through the joists to the lower deck,while carrying the second piece of decking! There is a large storage box right below where I went through,so that's where I landed. I got a badly bruised chest and arm pits,trying to keep from going straight through,to the lower deck. I had to build the whole rest of the deck after that accident,but it is nice now! I can laugh about it now,but it wasn't so funny then! Sorry to steal your post! Phil

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Phil,
    You have had a run of hard luck. That's a scary story.

Janice,
    I have some nice round yellow areas on the back lawn this summer too. Look a lot like your stepping stones. My old dogs don't make it to the back to wee any more.. But that's not an "improvement."

Your back yard looks luscious!

~Bunnycat

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Bunnycat!!! Yeah, we use to have those yellow spots, too (not stepping stones)!
    I took a day, and on two episodes of walking our Lab, to the back through the gate to
    the right of that pic. (just out of view) and saying all the way "to the back, to the back--
    to the back!"

On the third trip out, I just stood at the door and called to her "to the back, etc." and she trotted
    right back there to do her thing!

Now, we still have to say that or she will take a detour, but at least it has stopped the yellow patches,
    for the most part.

I found out that you have that with female dogs (the yellow spots) and weak grass!
    Being in shade, the grass tends to be weaker so that is a problem for those with the same conditions!

And, Oh Phil!!!! How very scary and thank God (really) the box was right under where you fell!
    It could have been much worse, you're right!! Boy, the *details* are very important, aren't they? :o)

And don't worry about posting anything you want on any of my threads! Not a problem, for me!

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

Phil--Your story gave me the shivers. I fell through a cracked lawn chair in the garage,(too lazy to get the small ladder) not quite as serious as your fall but I know the feeling of having the ground taken out from under you. Scary isn't it! Glad you didn't get really injured.
    Janice that looks inviting as can be. I can feel the cool shade just looking at it. Great work!

• goldedger
    16 years ago

That looks very nice and cozy Janice - very inviting. Your gardens look so lush. Kudos on the deck building!!!

Glad to see you're around to laugh about that nasty fall Phil!

No structural changes in our yard this year, just more "geegaws" on the walls, fences, tables, etc. Always finding something new/old and interesting to bring home. Some renovation of a couple gardens and an expansion using the "lasagna" method.

June

• buff24
    16 years ago

No major projects for us this summer... a baby on the way kind-of puts a damper on doing any major projects :-) Actually, we did hire someone to install a backyard fence for us, so maybe that counts? It was nice to watch someone else do all the work, for once...

Janice, that new deck looks awesome! When do I get to come over and see it?? And is that a ring built around your fire pit I see, next to the deck? Looks great too!

Buff

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

That is so beautiful and inviting. I want to come right over and sit there while we visit. You've done a great job (and hubby too). Isn't it nice how something new perks us up. I'm envious of your dappled shade. I have lots of shade but it's solid, from a walnut tree. In the spring when the leaves aren't fully open yet we get that dappled look for a few weeks.

Phil, where are the pictures of your multi layerd deck??? I'd love to see it. Your fall sounds scarry!

Our project is a throne - at least that's what friends call it. It's a covered wooden bench seat that was in a spot in the garden outside my kitchen window. It had to be moved this year to carry on the painting the house. We moved it to the driveway and a whole new section of garden is emerging around it. I'll do pictures later. McT

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey thanks, ya'll and come on over McT and Buff! I know it will be a much longer trip for McT, but Buff--how about
    Friday evening? I make a mean 'Baked Spaghetti? Are you and hubby up for that sort of thing or are you having
    digestive problems associated with Baby Buff?

• toymr2mk2
    16 years ago

Janice,
    Beautiful! Ya done good there! I see a nice spot to the right that would be perfect to put a small pond with a waterfall and a shallow end for the toads and other creatures you are trying to attract. Imagine sitting out there at night listening to the frogs croaking and the water trickling and the crickets. Sounds like your own little paradise to me! I am sooooooo jealous! And I have been waiting to see pics of your projects. Thanks and again you did an awesome job. Hope you get to spend many peaceful nights enjoying your handiwork!
    Art

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooops, Art! I remember now, it was YOU I'd promised the first pics. of the project to!!! Gulp!! The mind, a terrible thing to waste!

You are so right--I'd love that pond there, but there are so many tree roots, I'd fear it wouldn't last long!
    I do have a pond, of sorts, at the top of the yard, next to our deck along the back of the house! But, with the screening
    and height of it, I doubt I'll draw many of those toadies/froggies with it!!!

Here's the pond I do have--such as it is!!!

Good to see you posting--hope you have some more *time* to enjoy your hosta, more!!!

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Mct,and others: here is the pic of the new deck when complete. Down near the right sliding door near the house is where I went through.There were a lot less boards when it happened! It's not a multi-layered deck. It's one deck,directly above the other. Phil
    {{gwi:891268}}

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good job, Phil!! I hope you're far from a creek! My parents place, in Murphy, N.C. was right on one,
    and their decks dry-rooted, too soon, in my opinion!

But, I really think what excelerated the demise was that we had some folks renting the down-stairs
    mother-inlaw apartment, for awhile and they really were trying to be very good tenants, (which they were)
    so they PRESSURE WASHED IT! Big mistake, as I have come to find out!! I knew that before, but I didn't
    know they had done that till we came down for a visit and they wanted to surprise us with the beautiful results!

I never told them it was a mistake--we just loved those folks too much to! They have become life-long friends
    even after they moved, because we sold the place, finally!

Yours looks just beautiful! Did you do it all yourself?

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Janice what's wrong with pressure washing a deck?? I'm curious - cause I have a deck and a pressure washer.....lol

June

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi June--Apparently, from everything I've read, unless you really know what pressure to use, you can really damage
    pressure treated decks, especially! Too much pressure, (which folks tend to do, I guess) and it causes the wood to swell
    and become fibrous, allowing the moisture to penetrate too deeply and will leave it open like that permanently!

That's my understanding anyway! It sure shortened the life of my Mom and Dad's deck, after that
    I'd say--and, it was alot of deck, wrapping around three sides of a two-story brick home!

We have a 20'x45'pressure treated wood deck at the back of our home, and beleive me, I'd love to be able to pressure
    clean it! I scrub every inch of it with a long-handled brush, bleach water after some specialty cleaners! It's a total work-out!!

There's a 'Porches and Deck' forum at GW--did you know that? Some good stuff over there if you're looking into staining etc.

If you know what is the best pressure to use, then go for it! I just don't know what that is! I bet you do, or you
    wouldn't be doing it, right!! :o) Let me know how it works for you and your equipment and all the info I need
    to stop the scrubbing I've been doing--Paaa--LEEEZE???? Hubby did buy me a power scrubber by Black and Decker
    that I may try, if I can be sure I won't damage the wood using it! The brushes rotate in a circle so not sure about using it for that!

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Janice,yes I did build it all by myself. My wife did cut a few boards for me,but most of the time I was there doing it. I did it in the fall,so the weather wasn't too hot. But now you depressed me. I am getting ready to pressure wash it,so I can put on some more preservative coating. I already knew about not using too much pressure,even though,I just bought a brand new pressure washer,and I've never done it before! I guess I will learn by trial and error! Phil

• lindac
    16 years ago

Tell that to lake people....they power wash their docks and decks every spring...I have power washed my deck several times...bit it's not pressure treated wood it's cedar. The "experts" I talk to say a clean deck lasts longer than one with lichens and stuff growing on it.
    Of course you can write your name in concrete if you turn the pressure up to max and leave the spray in one spot too long.
    Use common sense and wash your deck. Better a strong stream of water then bleach and chemicals....Just don't fall through!!
    Linda C

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wonder if the problem with the pressure treated wood is that it already is made somewhat vulnerable by the
    chemical preservative? Just wondering! I have no idea!

Phil, maybe you could get your answer over at the Porch and decks forum, as to appropriate settings.
    I tried but everyone there seems to be into more of the high-end materials, and not the p.t. woods!

In fact, one guy there seems to specialize in the PT decks on his site! Let me see if I can find his link!

Got it and it's below but also you will note he's selling his stuff! He posts there alot. You can search around
    his site though, when you have time to find out about the pressure cleaning--I'm pretty sure that's where I read
    some settings etc.

Good luck with it--I know it's a pain to do, if not done with a pressure cleaner!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: A deck guy!

• lindac
    16 years ago

No way would I be spraying that Restore-a-deck stuff around my garden nor trees....and for sure I like the looks of the natural weathered deck a lot better then the "after" picture! EWW!
    Pressure treated wood is treated with an arsenic compound. There are now newer compounds they hope will be safer, but the jury is still out.
    Cedar costs more, lasts as long as treated wood and the saw dust is not toxic.
    If your power washing is ruining your deck you are not spreading out the fan enough. You are the first person I ever heard say power washing ws bad for your deck. I believe that's the main reason why most people buy one.
    Linda C

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Janice and Linda,thanks for the tips! I will be careful,and I have detergent and an 1800 PSI washer,which shouldn't overpower the deck. It should be fine. Now if I can find a few days when it doesn't rain! I already re-coated the railings,because they weren't bad. I have 2 decks and a set of outdoor stairs to do,so that should keep me busy. Phil

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Thanks Janice & Linda, good tips. We used cedar to clad our two story garage but unfortunately we had already used P.T. on the deck (didn't realize then about all the chemicals in it). We have an organic citric cleaner that we use for just about everything (the guy that sold it to my DH at work, actually drank it to show how non toxic is!!!) it works great. I'll make sure to use the pressure washer on lower pressure - we've only used it once before but it's definitely time for another cleaning.

June

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think, as Linda has suggested, "spreading the fan", adjusted pressure and some type of washing agent must be the key!
    I'm surprised that no one else has heard about the damage potential of using these things, without caution!
    I certainly have, and before experiencing it, and I'd have no reason to say I have, had I not!

So, apparently there's just more to the story, or report and the key elements are the things mentioned on this thread!

I'd LOVE to find out it's not damaging, but so far, I've only been able to find out information, further, from sites that sell
    their services using them. Several, other sites, selling products did caution the psi rate when doing it or you'd wind up with 'furring'!

I'm wondering if the main issue is with the Pressure Treated Lumber, it being pine and rather porous as it is!
    And some of the sites I read on, said, each deck is unique and you just have to experiment with the right pressure settings for yours.

I agree with you, Linda, about the weathered appearance being preferred--I like it best, too--a *cleaned* weathered look!
    If it gets mildewed, you can really take a *trip* on it when wet!! :o)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Janice if you damaged a deck using a power washer, it was your error in using the washer that caused the damage, or perhaps the deck was nearing the end of it's life any way.
    You can write your name in your concrete drive with a power washer if you don't adjust the fan and direct the water in one spot too long. It's obvious that you can rough up wood.
    Saying a power washer should not be used to clean a wood deck is rather like saying a power sander should not be used to refinish a wood floor, because you one used one and it ate right through the wood.
    Used correctly a power washer is the easiest thing to use and does the best job of cleaning a deck.
    And from all I know, pressure treated wood is harder then non pressure treated wood, less porous not more.
    Linda C

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

Hey Janice - I love your deck!! What a neat idea for a seating area in the gardens. It looks like a great place just to hang out and relax and enjoy life.

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindac--I was not the one, who damaged the deck I'm speaking of, so I cannot speak to the pressure rate used.
    I'm sure it must have been excessive, if as you attest, when used correctly, there isn't any damaged incurred!

Like I said, "more to the story" and I'm very glad to find out there may come a time I will consider using one.

Also, there has to have been some improvements to the ones being used as time goes on. The fan, etc. maybe
    is more easily tweaked. The damage I'm speaking of, was done about 8 years ago!

Largely, about technique and experience, I'm sure!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, sorry Karen--I missed responding to your post! Thank you very much!! Come on over,
    and bring some of your very special garlics, and we'll sit out there and talk about all the ways we can use it!

I hope business really booms for you--if it doesn't rob you of the joy of raising so many different varieties!
    I had no idea, there were so many different kinds!!! Amazing!!! Has to be alot of work, but you obviously
    LOVE doing it, so far!!:o)

I'd love to link your *web-page*! But, I won't till I get the "okay" from you to do so--I think many of us would
    really enjoy looking at it!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, sorry Karen--I missed responding to your post! Thank you very much!! Come on over,
    and bring some of your very special garlics, and we'll sit out there and talk about all the ways we can use it!

I had no idea, there were so many different kinds of garlic till I saw your web-page!!! Amazing!!! Has to be
    alot of work, but you obviously LOVE doing it, so far!!:o)

I'd love to link your *web-page*, but, not sure you'd want to be out there in the world-wide web,
    from this forum, just yet, or the increase to your business--it could get big--fast! LOL But, I think everyone
    would enjoy seeing what you do as an aside to growing hosta!

Let me know, if it's okay, please?

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now how did THAT happen? I posted the first of the last two, but it didn't show up on the page when I checked it,
    so I started over and now both are showing up??? The late-night goblins must be at work!!!:O)

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

A comment on the power washing of ceder decks - This deck is 13 years old. It's never been treated with anything and power washed several times each year. It's been through hot, hot summers, very cold winters and only a few boards have not held up well and will eventually need to be replaced. We like the natural, aged look so I guess it's a matter of choice. Once somethings been treated, I think you have to keep doing it which sounds like unnecessary work to me. McT

• dansgrdn
    16 years ago

Janice, looks like you've created a very nice tranquil spot for relaxing. I love the deck and surrounding plantings. You have a beautiful yard. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Dan

• iowa_flower_nut
    16 years ago

Wow McT! If I had a view like that I'd never get anything done!

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

I second what iowa flower said. That view is fantastic McT. Janice your deck and garden is beautiful. Phil's new deck is great, too. I would love to see a shot of the view from that deck. I put in a flagstone patio a couple of years ago, but it was more for a place to keep our shelties out of the mud. I have got to get their pics for the furry friends thread.
    Mary