Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Ajuga wilt? Perennials Forum Sucks

Carole Westgaard
16 years ago

Okay, I saw on the Huechera thread that some of you are into ajuga. I grew it successfully when I lived in Columbus, OH. No problems. I planted some two years ago but not sure which variety (in Chicagoland now) and not all came back each year. I keep trying to replace what I lose, so two weeks ago I discovered Caitlin's Giant and went nuts - bought three one gallon plants with at least a foot and a half of growth and since then it's been dying off. First one stolon goes, then another. They look dry, then die, but get plenty of water. Wondering if you think it's a fungus - anyone?

BTW, I posted this question on the perennials forum but didn't get a satisfactory answer.

Westy

Comments (11)

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh boy--the pressures on *us* now!! Thanks alot Westy!LOL

I don't have an answer for you, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone, *here*,
    is up to the test! Gulp!

I'm hoping to get some but maybe Ohio is the charm for grwoing it, if you did so well
    in Columbus--not that far from us!!

Before I go, I did some research and this is what they had to say about watering Ajuga:

Normal Watering

Normal watering means that soil should be kept evenly moist and watered regularly, as conditions require. Most plants like 1 inch of water a week during the growing season, but take care not to over water. The first two years after a plant is installed, regular watering is important for establishment. The first year is critical. It is better to water once a week and water deeply, than to water frequently for a few minutes.

It was also listed as ,"drought tolerant" on another site!

I had a beautiful 'Jack Frost' Brunnera last summer and did not realize I had left the hose on at a drizzle,
    over-night, till the next morning! A couple of days later, it looked all dried up and I thought, well,
    it MUST NEED more water! Finallly ,it turned literally completely BLACK! I later found out that you
    have to be careful not to OVER-WATER them! I had drowned the poor thing!!!

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Janice, for the research report. Just as I thought -maybe it's drying out too much between watering. Shoulda never left Columbus. And I've also lost Jack Frost -- too expensive to lose!

Westy

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Westy,I can't tell you much from experience,because I just planted a Caitlin's Giant,but it is a quart size. So far,it is doing great! Also,I just planted a Jack Frost Brunnera,and it has already put on new leaves. I never water deeply as everyone else does,but right now,I don't have to,because we have been getting a lot of rain. I don't know what to tell you,but keep at it! You'll find the combination that works. Phil

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Phil - let me know if it starts to disappear. It wilts first. I just heard that some of the cultivars are more susceptible to some kind of fungus or disease, and Caitlin's is one of the worst. If yours does well, I'm moving to NC. DH wants to go to Pinehurst anyway! (I want to go to Greenville).

Westy

• ademink
    16 years ago

Westy, you may have already seen this info...but just in case:

Root Knot Nematode (nematode - Meloidogyne incognita): Ajuga is very susceptible to root knot nematode. Infected plantings will begin to thin-out in spots and plants may die. Roots of infected plants will contain small knots caused by nematode feeding.

Southern Blight (fungus - Sclerotium rolfsii): Southern blight, also called Crown Rot, is a soil-borne disease of ajuga that will be more serious in poorly drained soils. Plants suddenly turn yellow and die in patches during warm, humid weather. Bases of stems rot and turn brown or black. Frequently, a white mold develops in which small reddish-tan bodies (sclerotia) develop. These sclerotia survive the winter and other unfavorable conditions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

alleged drought resistance is on an established plant ... all recent transplants must be watered heavily and deeply until establishment ...

second ITS NEARLY AUGUST ... maybe discounted plants should be left potted in the shade UNTIL PROPER PLANTING TIME IN September.. when the days are shorter.. the nights are longer ... oh the days dwindle down.. to a precious few.. September... oh... where have all the hogie Carmichael's gone .. anyway i digress..... lol .. here is the words running through my head:

Oh, its a long, long while
    from May to December,
    But the days grow short
    when you reach September.

When the autumn weather
    turns the leaves to flame
    one hasn't got time
    for the waiting game.

Oh the days dwindle down
    to a precious few
    September
    November

And these few precious days
    I'll spend with you.
    These precious days
    I'll spend with you.
    --- and i see it wasn't Carmichael.. its on willie nelsons stardust.. but i am seriously digressing.. i wish this typewriter had a delete button .... rotf ...

anyway ... what tree is it under .. you know my thoughts on maples ... how dry was the soil when you planted it.. how hot has it been since you ripped it from the pot ... how many roots did you cut through before you got a hole big enough for it .... etc ...

sorry about the perennial forum .... lol ...

good luck .. water the bee gee bees out of them .... ken

• hostared
    16 years ago

Hi Carole,
    You shouldn't have problems with this plant in your area.
    It does like good drainage. mine are in their 3rd year and they are big and lush. I placed them so they are peeking out from under the hosta's. They get some light but mostly they stay cool from the leaf shade. They get the same amount of water as the hosta's. None of my hosta's are in any distress and look great. So even watering so the ground is moist not soaked could be the key.

When you purchase these plants and if they are in good condition try not to disturb the root ball. It may help them get adapted better.

Also check witht he nursery you got them from to get your money back...they should refund if you have a receipt.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Hey ken---thanks for singing us a tune!!! Lalalala, la,la,la, la!
    Very nice--kinda off pitch on that second verse though!!!LOL{{gwi:891532}}

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Son,

I thought you only sang to the kids when they were little?

Now you have me doing it, singing that old standard!

All together now, one, two , three---------!!!!!

As the days dwindle down , will the ajuga survive, till September, November?

monConnie

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

North west of Chicago. It took me two or three years to get mine established. It would increase and then die back probably because I gave it very little supplemental water. Now it thrives in our drought conditions. Pretty contrast to hostas and shrubs. My best advise, give it time. If you have worked the soil and added organic matter it will spread faster and be more uniform.

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

I also have a lot of common Ajuga growing in another part of my yard,in the grass between the road and my property. I has taken over a huge portion of the grass,which doesn't bother me because the grass is ugly anyway. Anyhow,the point I am trying to make is once established,it seems impossible to kill. This Ajuga was severely damaged during the spring freeze we had in April. It died back to a huge brown patch. I thought it was a goner,when it got very dry in the later spring,but when it began to rain again,it came roaring back,and has completely filled in again,and it spreading even more. It is in full sun,also. Now THAT"S what I call a ground cover! Phil