Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

before and after, a work in progress

dansgrdn
16 years ago

Koidom and Janice's project photos have inspired me to share some photos of my own. This is definately still a work in progress. I started out with a plan, but the collector in me usually rules out, and things tend to end up looking a little cluttered and incongruous. It'll take a few years for me to get it dialed in, omitting certain things and possibly adding others.

Before (May '07)

End of day one ( who would have thought 3 tons of rock would not have been enough, notice the unfinished black paint line in front)

Rain postponed my next effort but that gave me time to rest my aching back. I ordered 2 more tons of rock (this time 8-12" vs. the 12-18" that I ordered the first time) and this is was what it looked like at the end of day two.

Finally here are some pictures from yesterday. Should look better next Spring.

Well gotta go to bed, long day tomorrow, hope you like the pics. Have a great week! Dan

Comments (132)

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

Dan, your garden is an inspiration to strive for!

You also created those gorgeous seedlings. What is the name of the plant with large streaked and rugose leaves on the lower left of the picture with h.'Risky Business'? Thanks!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    8 years ago

Dan, you are my inspiration too! I have plenty of hosta and a few japanese maples and now I am concentrating on adding more conifers. I just ordered an Archer's Dwarf fir because I love the picture of your's so much. How is it doing? I would love to see an updated picture of it.

• Angela Payne
    8 years ago

Simply beautiful.

• Deb 215 SEWI5
    8 years ago

Happy this got bumped again. I remember reading this post before and was blown away at the beauty of this garden. Dan, can we have another picture from this year please?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

I've just read this for the first time today... and bookmarked it! It is a joyful thread in every sense, thanks to all the contributors. Going back in time to 2007 sure makes one appreciate Dan's garden accomplishments that much more (if that were possible!).

• sherryseetul
    7 years ago

Super amazing project

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Dan would love to see more of your latest achievements and have wonder from time to time how are doing. Stay healthy and happy gardening, Faye

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Dan!!! Come back please! We want to see updates.

When I grow up I want to be a gardener just like you. :)

• don_in_colorado
    7 years ago

In my personal opinion, Dan is one of the best hosta hybridizers, bar none. I'm very glad he's allowing some of his creations to be released. We are lucky!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Couldn't decide whether I wanted to start a new post or include the seedling pics in this one. Looking back, I am not a big fan of some of my garden pics early on, but as this is a process and a journey, I will probably say the same thing ten years from now, so here are some of my seedling pics. My most recent "after" I hope you like them.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

I started with liking the pictures, but it is easier to comment :-) Gorgeous plants, I would like to have each and every one in my hosta garden. Thanks for sharing!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    7 years ago

Wow! Are these hostas available in the marketplace? If so, what are their names; they are truly stunning.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Simply stunning hostas, Dan! Thanks for showing us your beauties! Seems like your daughters are in the same category, thanks for the update. I was so excited when I saw this thread was back on top of the list! I'm glad they don't ration exclamation marks. What fun!!!!

• miketropic
    7 years ago

Thats purple stem streaker...i want so much lol

• beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing Dan. Your seedlings are spectacular.

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Spectacular pictures and as before you are an inspiration for us all. Love the yard picture and can just imagine the rest of it is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing again, Faye

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Ahhhhhh!!!!! Eye candy like no other. Thanks for coming back and posting your work for us to see. I love the corrugated, pie-crusted variegated blue/green/white/yellow varieties. Just stunning.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

Man, those are some awesome results you've accomplished. If you start selling them you could pay for the weddings of all your daughters.

Thanks for the update.

tj

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

I showed this post to my husband... your rock work is fabulous and we want to do something similar in a couple of places.

It's all fabulous - hostas, companions, all of it!