Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Owls?

Posted by dansgrdn z5Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 2:01

How many hosta forum members are night owls? I was just curious who usually stays up really late, like me. Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Owls?

Just woke up and made myself go spray the front yard with (home made) Liquid Fence. Can't do it often enough. I'm nuts.
Goodnight, Dan
Goodnight, computer
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
~Bunnycat

o

ME!!!! I used to work swing so getting home at three am and doing things was normal.

o

Thanks for the responses bunnycat and koidom. Did I mention mention I'm also an early riser. Oddly enough my triplet 3 year old daughters are the reason for both. I like to stay up to get free time for myself, but most mornings they're up at 5:30 - 6:00 am. Can't wait 'til they reach my nine year old daughter's age and will sleep in a little. Have a great day, Dan

o

• Posted by hey_j z5b Dayton Oh. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 9:04

Hi Dan! Normally, I'm up till at least 12:00 and many times beyond!! Last night--I was just pooped out and went
to bed at 10:30!

Tripletts???? Oh my goodness! I can't even fathom the workout your wife and you must have! How old are they?

o

Well..... living in Scotland, and being at least 5 hours ahead of you guys/gals in the US I have to stay up late to catch the latest posts lol. To be honest, I work late and usually only get home around 3am (10pm US East Coast time... I think!)
Have a nice day y'all (thats me typing in a Texas drawl)
Donnie

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 11:27

Given a choice, I'd rather stay up late (midnight to 1 or 2 am) and sleep in really late. BUT, I start work 4 days a week at 7 am and three of those days I have to drive 42 miles to get there. Which means I get to sleep in on 3 days a week, get up at 5:25am 3 days a week and at 6:40 am on the 4th work day when all I have to do is dress, brush my teeth, turn on my computer (and make coffee while it's booting up). It all ends up with me never seeming to get enough sleep. I'd be much better off if I'd go to bed at 10:30 - 11 pm every night, but what can I say? I AM a night owl by nature!

o

Donnie and jel48, glad to see there are a few more night owls out there. Thanks for chiming in.
Janice, the triplets will actually turn 4 on Sept. 29 and my other daughter just turned 9 in July. My wife and I alternate getting up early with them. To be fair she takes 4 mornings a week and I take three. The good news is tomorrow's my wife's morning, the bad news is I have a 12 hr. day at work tomorrow and yet I'm still up typing on the computer. Such is the life of a night owl I guess. Have a great week! Dan

o

Another night owl here, drives my DH nuts. Just seem to get bursts of energy around midnight. I was born at 10:45pm, wonder if that has anything to do with being a night person, I don't function great till at least noon.

June

P.S. I can't imagine having to get up with triplets in the a.m., my DH is a morning person - he gives the cats their breakfast :)

o

I'm another night owl for sure. Usually up until 1am or later. Best time is when the rest of the household goes to bed! Of course I don't have to get up early for work either. Split my late nights between the computer and reading a good book.

o

Another night owl here and usually up till about 1:30 and get up at 6:30 and head to work. After the kids are in bed around 8:00 P.M here I like to get some things done. Just got done creating 45 new labels for the plants I've boughten. Learned my lesson in try to create labels when the kids are awake. Kept coming up with 3 of the same names on the labels and come to find out the kids were sneaking off with a few. :-) Now I just wish I could work in trees this time of night here and not have to fight the day heat here climbing around in trees.

o

June, you and your husband obviously compliment eachother. It's nice that you have a morning person to compliment your night owl"ism". Thanks for the response.

iowa flower nut, that's why I like staying up too. "When the rest of the household goes to bed". Thanks for the response.
Hostasgalore1, sounds like you get about as much sleep as I do. I'd consider that major progress with the labels, keep up the good work!

Dan

o

Night owl, right here, guilty. Always have been since I was a kid. It's my natural rhythm. Makes it really hard to function in the "Real World" with a job and everything! I just wish I could garden at night! It certainly would be a lot cooler in the summer! I've threatened to get a miner's helmet so I could do just that. I doubt if the neighbors would think I'm any crazier than they already do.

Deanna

o

Well - I am certainly not a night owl, but am more of a true morning person combined with being an insomniac. It makes for some very odd sleeping habits.

I rarely sleep through the night so I have 2 choices. If I wake up before 3 AM (like tonight) I can usually putter around for a while and go back to sleep. If it is closer to 4 AM then I am better off just staying up because if I do go back to sleep I end up sleeping late and the whole house is out of normal rhythm then. DH and kids all depend on me to get them up - no one sets an alarm clock anymore. Oh, and my usual wake up time is around 5 AM.

Alexa

o

I'm a night owl too. I wonder what makes us the way we are? have studies been done on this? LOL. I've always been this way...can sleep through anything, too. I'm one of nine kids, and the only night owl in the bunch. My family loves to joke about this.

Now that my kids are mostly grown, it's no problem. But when they were babies, it was rough. I walked around with as little as four hours sleep some days.

Yeah, gardening at night would be great. But no way am I going out there with the racoons, rabbits, deer, skunks and whatever else goes bump in the night. :) So I'm content to get caught up on the computer and my taped shows on the DVR.

o
RE: A scary event!

Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 12:46

Deanna-- The other night, about 10:30 p.m.--I was sitting on our new in-the-middle-of-our backyard deck, with my back to our new neighbors' side of the yard, when I started to call it *a night*, and got up to leave! I suddenly spotted, out of the corner of my eye, what I took to be a giant lightning bug going down to their in-ground pond and fountain! I thought, "Whoaa!", and stood there watching for it again! Then I spotted a white-looking light, darting up and down her new row of hosta and other plantings! Did I mention I'm enabling her to be *one of us*?:O)

Then, suddenly the light whipped around to her deck and then I'm thinking, "just who is that in their yard???" I stood watching, just peeking around the corner of the lattice fencing that we have, about 25 ft. from the property line and between our yards, and as the light bounced off the door, that was being search out all around the top and sides of, I realized it was *her*! It was kinda scary before realizing that it was,indeed, her! I called out to her asking what in the world was she up to? She laughed, came over to talk to me and explained that she was putting out moth balls to ward off the rabbits and squirrels! She explained that there just aren't enough hours in the day being a young Mom and all!!! LOL

The light was from a head-light sort of thing!! So, it CAN be done, this night-gardening thing!

And, Anita--with that kinda *gear*, I'm sure any critters would be high-tailing it out of your garden! It almost did the trick with me, and being--just next door! LOL

Alexa--have you always had the sleep problems you're having right now? If not, there may be an explanation, depending on your age! :o) And, a pretty good treatment for it--in most cases--at least for me, it was a real blessing!

o

Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 0:04

Has anyone tried over-the-counter 'Melatonin' short term for your sleep difficulties?
It has helped me at times.

I think you can take it up to 3 weeks at a time, and then skip 3 weeks and take it again.
I took a 1/2 pill dose and it worked just fine so the least you can take, the better!

Some insomnia's are due to the, ahem, aging process whereby we produce less of the melatonin!

I doubt that is your problem, Alexa--I'm thinking you're probably still a youngish chick, yet! :O)

o

LOL janet. Even with a head light on my head, I'd still be too chicken to bump into any animals at night.

I don't have imsomnia, I just hate having to end my day. I wish I could just skip the whole sleeping part. I love to sleep, just hate getting up. LOL.

o

Another guilty party to add to the list - which often means I'm a little disappointed at not getting any quick responses to my infrequent posts. A semi-lurker night owl... rare bird indeed!

I've always been a night person. I have this theory that night owls were very important in early tribal society - as we night owls would be the ones to keep watch over the rest of the folks as they slept - to warn of approaching lions and other large-bodied carnivores.

My theory expands to hypothesize that folks with insomnia, depression, and a lot of other modern-day mental vicissitudes may in large part be caused by society trying to force everyone into this 9 to 5 pigeon-hole. Instead of letting us sleep when we want to or need to sleep, everyone's got to be on the same corporate schedule.

It seems only natural to me that survival of the village dictates that people with different biorhythms make up the tribe. It seems equally unnatural to me that we should all pop some pills if our natural biorhythms don't sync up with the 9 to 5 workday.

Ah well, some day I'll be independently wealthy or wealthless enough to set my own day-to-day schedule. When that day does arrive, I promise that you'll see a lot more of my time dedicated to my garden and my little garden firends - even if I still have to wear a miner's helmet.

o

the germinator, interesting theories and perspective on being a night owl. Glad you're in the night owl crowd too. Deanna, love the miner's helmet comment. I've actually thought about gardening by flashlight many times, but I feared the neighbors would think I was crazy. That's assuming they already don't think that. I often wonder what they think of me when I regularly take pictures of my plants. Have a good night. Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here