Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Cabin Gardens

jel48
13 years ago

We've finished the gardens on the front edge of the deck, and have also added a berm right in the middle of the camp. Something pretty to look at while we sit and rock in our rocking chairs on the deck :-)

The berm was our weekend project this past weekend, the deck planters were the project from the weekend before.

The biggest rock on the berm (near the center and beside the black eyed Susan) was heavy enough that Gary and I had to roll it up a 2 x 12 plank into the back of the truck to haul it in, and were VERY surprised that the two of us were able to do it on our own! The other rocks are a little smaller. We'll be adding more rocks and have the next couple of large ones all picked out. Hope to go out with the truck and bring them in next weekend.

We've used a lot of 'found' material on this berm. A short section of a birch log, a huge piece of birch bark picked up along the trail, a twisted up piece of wood, several rocks, and best of all (I think) several chuncks of dried moss. I would never disturb big living moss pieces of this size. I just can't, thinking of the years and years it took to grow, but these pieces were totally dead and dry and still gorgeous, so we brought them in.

We still have a couple of small berms to add somewhere (have a couple of rosebushes we want to plant on them and doing a berm is much easier then digging in this rocky soil). And, we have cleanup to do. But, other then that the summer projects are nearly complete for this year. Now, we hope to just relax and enjoy for the next couple of months.

\

Oh yeah, and the pie! Yumm..... Made from fresh raspberries we picked along the trail. We also had two blackberry pies. There were lots of Thimbleberries out there as well, but we ran out of time, with all the gardening we were doing!

Comments (3)