Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Coleus experts?

Janice
16 years ago

Anyone grow Coleus from seed in zone 5 or colder?

I had a planter from last summer that had a beautiful Coleus in it. Come winter, after everything had died off, I put the planter out of the direct weather, but not indoors or in a garage, and didn't do anything with it till first of July when I drug it out to put in some S&S petioles that I had rooted in water, previously, to see if they'd survive! Not only did the S&S survive, but all of a sudden, I have all these Coleus babies coming up!!!! They are thought to be an annual in these parts so I am encouraged to perhaps harvest some seed this Fall and try to grow my own, next Spring!!

Anyone else in zone 5 do that?

And, how about some examples (pics. and names if you know them) of your favorite Coleus in your garden???

Comments (15)

• lindac
    16 years ago

It's called "winter sowing"...and there is a forum here dedicated to just that.
    I used to grow coleus from seed years ago before you could buy so many varieties. If you found one you really loved you just cut it back, rooted the cuttings and kept the plant inside over the winter. Coleus is actually a tender perennial. If you bring it in to winter over, keep any blooms cut off to keep it growing. Cuttings are the only reliable to get the colors you want. But if you do save seeds, remember likely they will need stratification...not sure but I think coleus is a plant that does.
    I have a couple of pots of the Kong variety...spectacular plant!
    Linda C

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I didn't think coleus came true from seed, do yours look like the momma plant?

I have coleus Sedona in a planter and plan to keep cuttings going over the winter. It is a specacular variety and I want more of them for next year.

{{gwi:891850}}

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I have sedona also. I love the color. I usually take cuttings in the fall for the next year. Last year I totally forgot and they froze before I could get cuttings.

Here is my Sedona and Freckles in the top planter.

This is a trailing coleus that is totally out of control (that is only a small portion of it), and I can't remember the name of the one in the background.

• jel48
    16 years ago

I especially love this variety, which I've never tried until this year. It's called Saturn. I bought the seedlings and chose some of the same variety but which displayed a lot of difference in the width of the two colors.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Ooh, I do like the colors in that saturn!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no--another addiction--I feel it coming!!

I love EVERYONE'S pics.! They are stunning! The Coleus I have, I have begun like I did with Hosta,
    with no concern for names. I can see, that will change quickly!

Thank you, Linda, for the heads up about the "Winter Sowing Forum"! No doubt, I'll be lurking there a lot, now!

I especially love your Sedona, Alexa and Jen, and that trailing Coleus is one I have wanted to get, but haven't found
    in any of the nurseries around here yet! I also really like your bench, Jen!

Joyce, I also love the chartreuse and purple/plum combinations! Such stark contrast really appeal to me!
    The plant on the right side, really is neat--love the chartreuse dotting!

The first pic. I am posting is of the seedlings that appeared just recently! I don't know how they will change
    as they mature, but it seems they are not far off the mark of the original plant:

{{gwi:891856}}

Here are the rest of what I have around the place:

This is a very familiar, to most, Kong example!

{{gwi:891858}}

Another Kong:

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

I am not a Coleus expert,either,but I,too,could be addicted to them. The only problem is they're annuals! Here is a couple of mine from last season. Kong kaleidoscope,and an unknown. Phil
    {{gwi:891863}}

• jel48
    16 years ago

Janice, I did grow some from seed a couple of years ago. Not the Saturns, nor Kong either, for that matter. I had a Burpee Rainbow mix, or something of that sort, and they were absolutely so much fun to grow. They looked like little pinheads when they came up, and then developed so much character as they grew. I actually think that was more fun then it would have been if I had known exactly what varieties I was getting. I'll have to look those pics up one of these days.

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

I'm certainly not a coleus expert, nor do I have a lot of experience with lots of different coleus. But I like Palisandra - dark purple leaves with light blue flower stalks. I harvest some seed every year so I can have them again the next year.

And you want to talk about addiction?!? I start HUNDREDS of plants by seed every year! Every year I swear, "Next year I'm not starting this many plants by seed!" But yet, somehow, I always start more than I did the previous year because I still want the varieties that I like, but find new ones that I want to try. And of course, I couldn't possibly plant all those hundreds of plants so I end up giving lots of them away to family, friends, and neighbors.

I'm totally out of control! I need a 12 step program for seed starting!

Deanna

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Janice,
    I actually have two different varieties of trailing coleus. This is the other one (not a good picture):

They are both huge, so if you want cuttings from them let me know.
    Jen

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH, BOY, Jen!! You've got mail!!!! :o)

And thanks, Joyce and Deanna, for the encouragement to another addiction---- seeds!!
    And, now a "source" for more Coleus--Jen!

Let's see now, that puts me at being over the top for Hosta, fern, now coleus----and now, seeds!!
    Oops, I'm getting there with Heuchera, as well!! Sigh!!

• the_germinator
    16 years ago

Coleus is one of my secret favorite plants.

I remember reading somewhere that collecting coleus used to be a very popular hobby in the Victorian Age. I believe I even read about special coleus hybrids that were kept alive dutifully for generations during the same period.

You can grow them from seed, spread them by cutting, and overwinter them indoors. They seem to love to grow, and will simply keep growing so long as you don't permit them to go to flower - which, apparently, sucks the life right out of them. I know they may be thought of primarily as perennials, but they make great plant pets when properly cared for.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I'm loving all the coleus photos!
    I usually get 2 or 3 Coleus every season for color.

This one really took off in August. I like the little green scalloped edge next to the bright red. dont know the name of it.

Yes! I agree, the trick is to keep the flowers cut off.

{{gwi:891867}}

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

VERY nice---BluePoppy!!! And--nice hosta companions for that Coleus, too!!! :o)

Thanks for sharing your pic!!! :o)

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Wow. I know it's years later, but wow. The Saturn coleus is _amazing_.

May just have to hunt that down. :)

Suzanne