Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playinmud

volunteers

playinmud
16 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but this year there seems to be an extraordinary amount of volunteer seedlings popping up everywhere. I have petunias all over, sweet allysum, tall phlox, columbine, platycodon, foxgloves and 20-30 butterfly bushes.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Donna

Comments (10)

• iee41
    16 years ago

I.ve noticed alot of that also. I thought it was because of the mild winter we had . Then we had a wet spring,I have moss rose,balasm, columbine,coneflowers.shasta daisys. Will have to look and see what else.

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

I've had a petunia coming up in the same spot for 5 years. I grow cherry tomatoes on my deck so have have tomato volunteers in the beds below. They do produce tomatoes so I usually leave a couple in the hosta bed. The don't produce a lot of tomatoes though because they are competing with the hosta roots.

• playinmud
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is neat! Glad you're seeing this too.

Mom always said, "You can't beat free." I guess she was right.

Donna

• micke
    16 years ago

I have Morning Glory and 4 0'clock seedlings. I had a volunteer Tomato come up under my Pine tree, guess when the kids were playing "throw the Tomato" last year that is where one wound up (not my kids, the neighbors kids decided those looked like excellent bombs to splatter one another with) I was not amused.

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

The only volunteers I ever get are pecan seedlings and weeds, of course. I am hoping my ventricosa will bloom someday and make all those babies.
    Mary

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

I always have a lot of phlox seedlings, but that's because I don't weed them out along with everything else. I have a weakness for tall garden phlox.

I read that phlox seedlings revert to dull magenta, but that seems to be true for only the regular bright pink phlox paniculata. I have many gorgeous seedlings from crosses of the various colors that I bought a few years ago. Some have a bright pink eye (from Bright Eyes), others have white eyes (from Volcano Pink and Laura, which is violet)

Right now, they are still blooming like crazy in the backyard. I only have spots of color elsewhere. At least until the Japanese Anemones really kick in.

~Bunnycat

• playinmud
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bunnycat I love the tall phlox too! And what a fragrance on a warm summer's evening. They are very dramatic in the garden. The seedlings I've gotten are white with a pink edge and bright pink. There are a few magenta, but I don't find the color dull when transposed next to a white one or the massive planting I have of rudbeckia.

Its interesting, the butterfly bushes are usually a "dull magenta". I don't know where I'm going to grow all of these volunteer bushes, but I want to see what colors we've got, so I've got to find someplace.

Donna

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Tiarella's. Actually they sprouted last year in the mulch along the path. I left them for the winter because they were so tiny, but this year I moved some and gave away some.
    Pam

• caliloo
    16 years ago

The only volunteers I've had this year are cleomes and weeds, which to some people are the same thing! LOL! My next door neighbor can't stand cleomes and gives me a dirty look every time he pulls one from his garden.

THe weeds are record setting this year though, I even had crab grass growing in the crown of a rose. Talk about a challenge! I barely managed to escape from the clutches, bloody and shredded.

Alexa

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Donna~
    I noticed some of your volunteer plants are foxgloves. I bought about 6 nice plants spring 2006. I snipped off the dried seedpods after they ripened, dropped them under the mother plants, and kept that space open and free of weeds this spring. I have lots of seedlings. I assumed that they wouldn't bloom until next year. Wrong! I have a few little plants that have flowers that are now in bloom. Does that mean that they won't bloom next year? Should I be snipping off any flower stalks before they can bloom this fall? (I'll try the perennial forum if you don't know the answer.)
    Thanks!
    ~Nancy