Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megaul

Hosta inspired...(many pics).. let's hear/see yours

megaul
16 years ago

We finally got our new patio and walkways this summer. I give much credit to my hostas as inspiring me to make the most of my little corner of the planet.

You can only appreciate the improvement by seeing the before and after...although the after is still in the landscaping phase.

My ' rustic' flagstone patio and dirt trail to the fence. Grass will not grow in this area except that growing thru the cracks were I didn't want it!. Grass has been especially hard hit in this area this year due to drought and dog.

We chose stamped concrete in a London Cobblestone pattern a similar color as the house.

I love the curved walkway to the gate, and hopefully, Hosta Dog will learn to use the path so that grass might actually grow in this problem area.

I was also able to extend the hosta bed outside the back porch to the patio and added a few new hostas , a fern, and couple of other little things.

We also replaced the aging walkway in front with the same pattern.

Before...gosh, I didn't realize it looked THAT bad!

We also added a 'landing' in front of the porch.

I've been working on the ground around the new areas relentlessly. We've been in drought conditions all summer here, so watering my grass seed twice a day.

I've planted grass, twice now...the first was coming up nicely when we got 5 inches of rain in half a day washing it away. The new grass is up and filling in. We have a gentle rain today, and hopefully, won't get any more gully washers until it gets established.

I'm already looking forward to next year and will add a few colorful pots of flowers on the patio and landing. And, of course, may be able to extend my hosta beds further.

I'm also thinking about adding a small pond to my little corner of heaven. I'm going to be researching that over the winter to see if ponds and shade can coexist.

And, to think, all this started with that first Gold Standard about 4 years ago! I give my hostas lots of credit for inspiring me.

How about a few more hosta inspired stories. Janice's floating deck is another fine hosta inspired project.

Comments (11)

• koidom
    16 years ago

It looks great! love your hostas, it's funny you kept every thing else pretty much the same, it sure made a diffrence! A great project that turned out wonderful!

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Wow, what a difference the hardscape made. It looks wonderful. I love your new patio table, too. So warm and inviting...perfect for that cup of coffee while perusing gardening books.

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

Your hostas are beautiful, and the path was the perfect choice. It looks so cool and inviting.
    Mary

• von1
    16 years ago

Great job, something you'll enjoy for years to come.
    Von

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

That's really nice Marsha!
    The curve of the new walkway really enhances your hostas along the front. The landing adds a nice touch and gives you some "playing room" for potted plants.
    I always thought your yard was beautiful before, but it's gorgeous now!

Janet

P.S. How's Willow doing? She's a sweet looking little kitty.
    Check the "Furry Friends" thread for my question to you about her ;-)

• papou
    16 years ago

Great improvement! Your hostas are really coming out with the new design. Congratulations! Papou

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Marsha that looks fabulous! I always thought your place looked great too, love it even more now. Amazing how the walk really pulls everything together. Its a little slice of Heaven to you I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Donna

• iowa_flower_nut
    16 years ago

Wow! That looks great! The sidewalk in front sure makes your hostas pop. I'm going to show these pics to my hubby. This would be a great solution to the problem front area of our house.

• megaul
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments. With all this rain we've had again, don't know when my grass around the edges will take. I've planted twice now, and both times, as the grass is coming along nicely, we get a heavy bit of rain to wash some of it away. It hadn't rained all summer here until I tried to plant some grass. Oh well, the hosta and all the other plants are smiling.

And, i dig it, Willow is just fine now. She had to spend a night in the emergency hospital this week secondary to a high fever and dehydration. After some IV fluid and antibiotic,(and $429 later) she is her usual kitten self again. As far as her breed, I don't think she is a particular breed but she is part Siamese. Here papers say Rag Doll, but I think that is just the coloring. She's funny and keeps us laughing.

• dansgrdn
    16 years ago

Megaul, Love the new patio and sidewalk. It definately accents your beautiful hostas and adds a beautiful design element to your garden. Thanks for sharing your pictures, Dan.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

All I can do is echo WOW!

You did a fantastic job and it is a dramatic improvement. It really is amazing how fixing up one aspect changed and bautified the entire property.

Kudos to you and what a wonderful look.

Alexa

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm