Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasformez4

All must go !!!!!!!

hostasformez4
16 years ago

We have developed a drain field problem and must replace all drain fields and add an aerator to the septic system!

When they came to check out where the new fields would go they found we have not enough soil cover for the conventional system. New rules and regulations since the first system was put in almost 50 years ago!!!

ALL MY SUN PERINNIAL BEDS WILL BE DESTROYED with the new system!!!!! I have just a few weeks to relocate one 40 foot long and 15 feet wide bed + 3 others of varying size. Fourteen years of work destroyed.

I would still be lying in bed with a cold rag on my head if it had been my hosta beds that had to go!!!!

We're talking hundreds, maybe thousands, of plants and bulbs to be removed! I have a week for family to come and help themselves then I will advertise and hope people will want plants at this time of year. I will be able to take back some of the plants family and friends will over winter for me but will share with them for helping me to save as much as possible.

Life can be crul sometimes. One positive thing is I will be able to group plants when I redo the beds maybe even relocate the vegetable garden to that area since I'm having to put everything I want saved in the current vegetable garden!

Connie

Comments (8)

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Sturdy perennials can be bagged with soil. Smaller ones in grocery shopping bags, larger ones in garbage bags. Mulch around the bags. We had a vicious wind storm one autumn which took down many trees. Under the debris I was able to rescue some of my rhododendrons and other shrubs and plants. It took a long time for the tree removal guys to get to us since nothing crashed directly onto our house (thank heavens!), so no time to replant in the yard. They spent the winter bagged, no pots. They came throught the winter just fine. I was shocked. If you have time to dig, pot what you can, bag what you can't, and hope for the best. Better than forfeiting them or giving your beloved plants away.

I feel really bad for you. What a disaster!

~Bunnycat

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Oh Connie that's so awful!! I feel bad for you too.

I like Bunnycat's advice, is there anywhere you could bag them up and situate them until the destruction is over? Plastic trash bags and shopping bags are wonderful things. I pop plants in them instead of pots all the time.

Donna

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh no, Connie!! I am so sorry!! I hope you can salvage all the ones you really treasure!!
    Sounds like Bunnycat has a really good idea!! I can only imagine how you felt when you
    realized this bit of bad news!! Sigh!

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

Fourteen years--Man oh man. What a shame! I hope you can salvage many of your plants like Bunnycat suggested. I am so sorry this happened.
    Mary

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Connie,
    Contact your local garden club! At least 3 members of mine offered to help me in my recent predicament. They often will do plant rescues. Mine even offered to overwinter any hostas I needed to.

Char, loggin in from S.Carolina...on dial-up...LOL!

• koidom
    16 years ago

I wish you the best, what a nightmare! but lucky for some other people!

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

oh MAN, connie....

i REALLY feel for you...

have a digging party....give out BIG clumps with the understanding that come spring you get half the clump BACK...

jill

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

hi connie...

how's it going....everything gone yet??

the last couple of years i gave away a LOT of stuff to our church affiliated "Camp Ground"...

they were happy to get it....

and a Lot of churches around here do plant sales in the spring....i'm sure they would come over to help clear you out...

jill