Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Besides Hostas, we love xxxxxxx in the garden

jel48
14 years ago

ROSES!

I've never been able to raise tea roses before (in MN or even NE) because I refuse to pamper a plant the way they needed pampered.... all that winter protection was my downfall. So, in MN and NE, I occassionally raised a tea rose as an annual :-)

In the Keweenaw, they don't require any winter protection because of all that lake effect snow! Several feet of snowfall do a good job of insulating. Nature's insulation at it's best.

As an experiment, last year, we purchased a number of roses. A few were really nice ones, at regular prices, and several more were whatever Pamida had left over at the end of the season for a dollar or two a plant. We planted them with the root bulb about 4 inches below ground level and provided no insulation other then the snow. Here are some of the results!

Let's see pictures of some of your 'other' garden favorites, be they roses or whatever!

Comments (12)

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

I'm in my 2nd summer/growing season at my house now. My outside has been neglected for 20-30 years, so I've been working hard clearing land, chainsawing, and bringing the yard back into a pretty and useful condition. The house is 67 years old.

My current loves aside from hosta are:
    Pulmonaria...i'm afraid as time goes by I'll end up collecting more than really necessary. I have a LOT of shade.

Old bricks. Since I'm starting from scratch and there was no hardscaping to work with on both my lots, I collect old bricks and use them to establish paths to connect portions of my yard before I get serious about putting in new plants in many areas.

Boxwood shrubs. I have this crazy adoration for boxwoods. I constantly take pics of boxwoods everywhere I go...from official garden walks, neighborhood strolls, and my travels while working. I'm fascinated at growth patterns in sun & shade. I love the slight differences in the different kinds. I love using boxwood groupings to separate "garden rooms" and break up larger planting areas. I really need to start using some other evergreen shrubs to mix it up a little & not get into boxwood overload.

That's off the top of my head. Since I bought this place and don't have a controlling spouse to dictate my life and how I tend to the gardening, I am so happy to have the opportunity to try out plants and gardening ideas I've only got to read and dream about before.

At my last house, I had about 120 named hosta. I left them all & try not to think about the babies I left behind. I've only got 14 hosta at the moment...but they are goodies to me and most all are new this year.

If anyone cares to get an idea of my house & what I'm up to, you can look at my blog. Go to the "Gardening" tag to filter out the junk. You may also want to try the "House" tag...I've been trying hard to keep the tags organized. There may be a few gardening topics straggling in the house category.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gayle's Blog

• koidom
    14 years ago

Iris would probably be mine...

{{gwi:892205}}

{{gwi:892206}}
    {{gwi:892207}}
    {{gwi:892208}}

{{gwi:892210}}
    {{gwi:892211}}
    {{gwi:892212}}

• keanaz5a
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures. My other love is sedums. For some reason they fascinate me. There are tons of different kinds and are so easy to grow. I only have 8 different ones, but I always check them out, both online and at garden centers.

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I don't have any pictures to share but my second love is lilies of all kinds. I would have them everywhere if I had the sun they need in my garden beds.

Connie

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hmmm-what DON'T I love in the garden!! I won't post pix because I think I've already inundated the
    forum enough with my photos, but I LOVE fern, pulmonaria, heuchera, and some of the sedum groundcovers,
    and even Creeping Jenny--I know--it can easily get out of hand!

I was mowing yesterday, and thought about how I really don't want to give up summer--because unlike many areas
    of the country, right now--we are having a great end of the season!

And, then I was reminded of how we are usually very gently and graciously led into the winter by the progression of hot
    and dry to sleepy trees, cascading leaves and gentle rains that usher in the dormancy of a colder, sometimes snowey winter!

How awful it would be, if one day it is beautiful, balmy and bright to the next day being a foot of snow, unrelenting
    for the 6 months it usually entails, before the 'Summer heat' begins all over again, just as suddenly, minus the much
    needed Spring rains!! It just wouldn't work very well, now would it!

I am so thankful, that by the time Fall gets here, I am SO READY! Seems like 'a plan', to me!

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

Love the pictures posted above but we need more! As usual I've overdone it. I'm with Janice, what don't I have? The only thing I can think of that I don't have and don't want is Juniper.

I love Yellow, Orange and Red for color with some Blue

I love things anything red and anything in excess.

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The photos are all so beautiful! Just love them!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

you guys left out dirt monkeys ... or today.. mud monkeys ....

ken

• Janice
    14 years ago

AWESOME pix!!!! Love it!!!

Yeah, ken--your mud monkeys are adorable--you ought to get them in the mud and take a pic.!
    All muddy, they'd be hard to identify! LOL

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

I'll bite. What are mud monkeys? Does Ken have DECORATIONS in his garden?

I'm glad you two (Janice and Ken) know I'm teasing you with respect and affection.

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hmmm-guess ken's not coming back on this one--it's his two adorable kids! He has made them a mud-pit,
    very elaborate and when the hose is running, it's got to be the slimiest pit in the world. They have
    filled the large area with all kinds of fun stuff, added to what he has come up with for them to slide down,
    through, around and the like!

I hope he comes back and gives a more indepth description than I have! His daughter, even has planted
    her own seedling right next to the slide into the pit! So cute!!!

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

With ken's soil it would be more like a sand pit!!! The kids probably don't even get dirty when they play in it. Now our Illinois dirt is another story. LOL

Connie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!