Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

A *Girlie-Girl' thread!!!

Janice
16 years ago

Okay, Marnie--this one's for you!

So, Ladies, what is your favorite cosmetic line or items--the ones you wouldn't be caught dead (or alive) without, even on a deserted Island?

For me, I'd have to have my mascara and lip pencil and lipstick! I use the "Hot-pink" tube of mascara, waterproof, brown black!:o) I love the Estee Lauder line, especially the lip pencils and their lipstick is nice, too. I also like the Merle Norman lipsticks.

Now if there were room, if I had to *jump ship* in the mid-Atlantic and take only what I could grab--I'd also like to have my smudge-stick eye-liner, also by Estee Lauder, and their make-up base that I love--'Double-Wear' and the color is 'Fresco'! I love how it stays put, when applied lightly with a make-up sponge--doesn't change color or smear off! Kinda pricey but it lasts me at least 6 months!

Oh, and an eye-lash curler and the face scrubber I make out of the netting you can use in petti-coats! I cut strips about 4 inches wide the entire width of the netting. Then I sew a running thread through it, or stitch on my machine a gathering stitch and pull it tight to make a puff ball! It works wonderfully to exfoliate dead skin, that tends to make our make-up not last all day, cause it flecks off, ever so microscopically, and it also takes away the dull gray look to the skin.

You can pay some bucks for exfoliators, like Cliniques, which is very good or do what I do with the scrubbie! If done daily, you don't have to scrub the hide off--it takes care of it gradually and consistently!

Okay--who's next?

Oh, and my favorite perfume is 'Boucheron'

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

oh jeez ....

Lava and a good sand scrub ... ken

PS: i do my hair with hedge trimmers... and NEVER look at my toes.. yuck ....

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Holly Cow Janice! You must be related to my sister! She never leaves home without her makeup on!

I on the other hand hardly use it(makeup)any more. When I was working I went through the whole routine, but now that I'm retired I barely put lipstick on some days.

Jewelry was my thing! I had rings, bracelets, earrings enough to change daily, hourly! I have 5 wedding bands,5 rings to wear as engagement rings, 90 + rings in all in silver, white and yellow gold!! Well, like the make up, where do I wear them all now? No where! They were as necessary as breathing back then. How times change.

I have given somethings to my granddaughter, to my second son's girlfriend, and sold somethings. We have a family picnic coming up and my 4 nieces will get to choose somethings. Why not share now than wait till I pass and everything is jumbled together and either sold or packed away.

Connie

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay--I need to fess up--I'm not nearly as compulsive about the wearing of my makeup these days, either.
    In fact, if I'm going to work in the yard, I don't even bother with it, cause it's gonna slide off after about 20 mins.
    anyway!LOL The base makeup wouldn't but I'm GOING TO BE taking a shower afterwards anyway!

I use to be into the jewelry too! I wear the same 14k gold hoops and a crystal post in each ear,
    with the same chain and pendant, and flat gold chain--all the time!! I don't take them off!

I'm more fit to travel easily these days--but I do like to look nice when going out shopping and having lunch with
    gal-friends, church etc.! I'm much less vain these days! I figure, if I'm only valued by folks, by the way I look,
    then I'm not worth much to you anyhow, so, just pass me by! :o) "Been there and done that", a long time ago!
    There's definitely more to a person than *the look*!

ken--I'm sure you're a *natural-beauty* in your own right! LOL
    And--WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON A *GIRLIE GIRL* THREAD???roflmho

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

I've used Clinique for years and never been especially happy with it. Recently I heard people talking about the newer mineral products. On a whim I ordered one of the liquid mineral foundation products and a mineral bronzer--Vincent Long or something like that. I like it, it feels very light. Doesn't melt in 90+ heat 90+ humidity we are having lately. Doesn't look awful at the end of the work day either. Oddly, it's very easy to remove.

My little extravagance, En Joy by Jean Patou on sale. I've always wanted to try it. I like Crabtree and Evelyn's signature rose scented perfume Evelyn but it seems kind of heavy for summer.

Has anybody used the Pro Active cleanser and toner I see Vanessa Williams and Kelly Clarkson promoting on TV? What do you think?

• koidom
    16 years ago

Whats makeup? :P
    Well I wish my husband would use hedge trimmers, he is always using my spendy clippers for the dogs to half way cut his hair then begs me to finish it for him!

I guess if Kens in trouble I'll get in trouble for being on here to :( but at least I''m a girl, just not a girlie one most of the time :P

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

I used enough make up in the 60's and 70's to last me a lifetime. The last time I wore mascara was for my sisters wedding 16 years ago. My hubby thought I had spiders on my eyes. Moisturizer is cold cream, vasoline, or whatever "greasy" product seems to be at hand. I am more fussy about good hair products. At the moment I like Pantine. I trim my own hair most of the time in a very uneven fashion. The right side needs it one day - the left the next day. The money I save on haircuts immediately becomes "hosta money". McT

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

i am 'cheap' so ,,,NO makeup,,,,or VERY RARELY,,,

wedding band only,,,

hubby likes long hair,,,so let it grow,,,then i get sick of it every year or so and have it ALL chopped off or do it myself,,,

beancounter,,,i have the proactive for my 13 year old daughter and i think it does a pretty good job...

jill

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

I'm boring. Dove soap and a hair brush. Lipstick if I can find it (and I don't try very hard).

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You *natural* beauties have it made! I guess I grew up feeling really not very pretty, thanks to a father who was a really, really *not nice* man! So, I always thought it must be very important to be pretty and made the supreme effort in achieving that kind of acceptance! This man, was in my life until I was 10 years old, the formative years! Then my mother finally couldn't take his unfaithfulness and worse, any longer and divorced him! Another year went by until she met someone else and married him.

All that to say, to be loved for what you are, is the very best. Whereas my husband likes it when I make myself as attractive as I can--he still loves me, bare faced! My sons-in-law prefers their wives, our daughters, *natural*, as well, although both will enhance what beauty they have already, a tad more for special occasions, i.e. church, dinners out, operas and musicals etc.!

So go for it--what makes you feel most comfortable, and if it's *natural* how much better can it get!!!

• jel48
    16 years ago

My girlie girl splurge over the past 8 months or so has been acrylic nails, redone every 2-3 weeks, and a hair cut at an expensive salon along with low-lighting (to disguise my grey) in three different colors - done every 8 weeks at $100 a shot. Much as I like the results, I'm giving it up now, to help finance a new project.

Makeup - mascara has always been the closest to a must have for me, but even at that I'm sure I've spent well over half of my adult life with no makeup at all. If I have a special occasion, eye shadow, mascara, blush. I've never liked the feel of foundation or lipstick. I'm more of a chapstick girl ;-)

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

My must haves consist of an good lip moisturizer, currently Carmex, lol, and a facial moisturizer with SPF, currently Olay.

I will put mascara on occaisionally, but rarely.

I never got the hang of putting foundation on and the few times I tried way back when, I couldn't stand the feel of it on.

I'm not into heavy perfumes either, I usually use the body mists and currently have Victorias Secret Dream Angels "Heavenly" that I really like. It's lite and fresh smelling and I have received compliments on it ;-D

Nothing fancy in shampoo/conditioner usually whatever I find a sale on.

The one beauty implement I do need is my EpiLady hair remover. I've been using it ever since they hit the market, sometime in the early 90's maybe, and love it so much more than shaving! No stubble!

My secrets are out
    Janet

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I am not a heavy makeup user, usually during the summer I have a nice tan for color. I have rosacea which prevents me from wearing a lot of foundations. However I love BareEscentuals, it's one of those mineral based powders.

My addiction is hair stuff. I have naturally curly hair, so I am always looking for something better. I think I have a whole medicine cabinet full of products I have tried and didn't like.

I am allergic to a lot of perfumes, but like most of the Philosophy scents because they are very light.
    Jen

• flowergazer
    16 years ago

It would have to be eyeliner and lipstick.Sampoo & Conditioner in one since I have long hair.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

You all know there is a Beauty & Fashion Forum, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beauty & Fashion

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Alexa! I'm sure some of the ladies will want to check it out!

• ademink
    16 years ago

No makeup. Lotion and Blistex DC10 lip junk in that little tub. No hair products. Wash, blow, GO.

• andi3216
    16 years ago

When I'm just putzin' at home, I go au natural... But to be seen in public I need my eyebrow pencil and prefer to have foundation on - and can't forget the carmex! Most days its just that, but when we go out with friends I will go all out with everything.

I started using i.d. Bare Minerals about a year ago and I really love their foundation. I have somewhat sensitive skin and I'm very LAZY, so it's perfect for me. Just a couple brush strokes and it's done.

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

I'm pretty lazy, so when I'm going to work or church, I use face powder, blush, and mascara. That's it! If I'm just at home, I don't bother with it.

Now my hair - that's a different story. I have baby fine, mousy brown hair. So I get blonde highlights. They not only give me some color, but also some body so I have something to work with. I use the more expensive hair products since my hair is fine, fragile, and colored, I don't want to damage it. I blow dry with a round brush after I mousse it, which gives the illusion of some body. And of course, I spray it, or it would be flat again in about 10 minutes! My hair used to be shoulder length, but now I have it cut short and love it!

See, I told you my hair was my high maintenance item. :-)

Deanna

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

This thread begins:

"So, Ladies, what is your favorite cosmetic line or items"

I find it very interesting that Mr. Marek weighed in on this one! lol

• soccamutha
    16 years ago

Cosmetics: Chapstick
    Hair: Herbal Essences 2 in 1
    Nails: Short, bitten or broken

Last haircut was in January, $18, and I'm just now starting to like it.

And my DH thinks I'm high maintenance!

Becky

• micke
    16 years ago

No make-up, ever, hubby likes the dark blue eyeliner I used to wear (I wore it right on the inside of my lower eye, don't see many people doing that any more) he keeps buying them for me, bet I have 20 or so brand new ones thrown in my medicene cabinet.
    My things are, coloring my hair, you never know what color my hair is going to be, bad thing is it takes 3 boxes to get the job done (hubby likes it long and straight, he isn't too picky on the color but blonde is his favorite)
    and my earrings, I love to wear earrings! I have 3 piercings on the lower lobe and two all the way at the top, my goal was to have them running all the way around, but those cartilage piercings hurt so I stopped at two.
    I love rings but haven't really spent any money on any nice rings other then my wedding set.

Janice I had a really bad father too:( he was a Marine (for 4 years, let it go to his head let me tell you) but he treated us all like we were his recruits. I would never make my 10 year old carry a 50 lb feed bag up and down the hill just cause he was sure we had done something to deserve it, and we had to do it, I watched him beat my older brother on the back of the legs with a pipe because he fell down and tore a bag. that is just the tip of the iceburg with that man.
    Only good thing I can say about it was I was lifting 140lbs and squatting 210 in highschool. kids pretty much left me alone and they didn't pick on my friends either (this school has some really mean kids in it)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths