Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Hike to Cliff Cemetary

jel48
14 years ago

There is an old, old cemetary, not too far from our camp. We had heard about it, and looked for it before, but were unable to find it. Finally someone gave us the location of a foot path that goes to the cemetary. We rode our 4 wheelers to the head of the foot path and then walked in. There were probably 12-15 graves, from 1852 to somewhere in the 1870s. Several were infants and children. One interesting stone was for the 17 year old wife of an army captain, then below the inscription for her, was one for a 23 year old daughter of that marraige who must have died some 20 some years later and been buried on the same plot and added to the same stone. Also of interest were some very old wooden headstones.

Comments (10)

• koidom
    14 years ago

Great pictures! would love to go there.

• Janice
    14 years ago

My husband LOVES to explore old cemeteries! I find it very interesting and very poignant, as well.
    SO MANY infants never make it to be a year old and some of the sentiments on the headstones of the
    young and the old are very intriguing and touching, too!

The last photo, was especially poignant!!

Hey Joyce, when do we get updated on 'your place in the woods'? :o)

• keanaz5a
    14 years ago

Great pictures. That is one huge rock! I love to explore old cemetary's. Or is that cemetaries? I need a spell checker. Your right heyj, poignant as well as interesting.

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janice, look further down in 'Conversations' for your place in the woods update....

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Sorry,but you all are just plain weird!! Phil

• Janice
    14 years ago

LOL Phil!! I guess our draw, is that you can really get a sense of history in cemeteries and because I
    do not fear death, it is not gruesome to me to find where and how folks are temporarily 'retired'!

It happens--we all die, we're buried and hopefully we will rise again--to a better body, in a far better place!

That's the plan I'm counting on, anyway--and the 'ticket' I've bought! :o)

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Janice,and everyone else;we have a cemetary right beside our church,which I see every week,and I have no desire to explore it,any further than I can see from the outside. Just my thoughts,for whatever they're worth. Phil

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hey, again, Phil! Not a problem--everyone has their own interests! It could get really crowded
    if everyone loved to explore a cemetery--I mean, more crowded than it is! hehehe

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Our old family cemetery is on private land in S IL. The present owner of the land is taking an interest in it and keeping it up.

I have visited it a few times and the next time I go I will be prepared to make rubbings of the stones.

Connie

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've always loved cemetaries. I don't find them creepy at all. Janice, like you and your DH, I love the history and just kind of the feeling that people down through the decades and centuries are the same, face the same things, feel the same emotions. I find the old cemetaries poignant and beautiful and restful.