Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Prayers for my sister

jel48
14 years ago

Please include my next older siser, Phyllis, in your prayers. She has been battling lung cancer the past 3-4 years. She's in the hospital now, as her lungs are filling up, not with a liquid that can be drained, but with more of a substance the doctors can't get rid of. She is going home tomorrow and it might be days or maybe a few weeks. She wanted to have a tea party with her youngest grand-daughter and her adult kids are planning the big occasion for this Thursday. I wish I could be there but she's about a 14 hour drive away. She had a good few days during our 'sister' campout last month and was able to join the rest of us at the campground for part of a couple of days. We stopped by her house and had a good visit on our way home too. I don't get to see her often but I will miss her so much. Please pray for an easy passing for her and for comfort for her husband, kids, and grandkids, as well as for the rest of us sisters.

Comments (24)

• chevy57red
    14 years ago

On my mind and in my prayers.
    Glad that you could spend quality time last month with her.

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. So am I.

My niece reports last night that Phyllis was pretty cheerful "laughing, talking, and making memories" was how she put it.

It's hard on everyone, but Phyllis is most worried about her grandkids. Some of them are having a really hard time coming to terms.

She is supposed to come home today, provided a hospital bed arrives this morning, as scheduled.

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh dear, Joyce--I've just seen this! I am praying for you and your sister and the whole family!
    I KNOW this is very difficult to go through! Please keep us updated to the specifics to be praying for,
    as they arise!

Janice

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Janice. You ask about specifics to be praying for so I'll be very specific.

Pray for healing - she's only 65, and a miracle would be needed at this point.

Pray for an easy passing if there is no healing. She's suffered so much already.

Pray for peace and acceptance for her husband and kids. They know she's going to heaven and that's a big help and comfort for them.

Pray for her grandkids, that they might accept and not hurt too much. Phyllis worries most about them, especially the younger ones.

Pray for us, her sisters. We all know where she is going too, and that she is so ready to leave the pain of this world behind, but it still hurts because we're not ready to lose her yet.

Pray that she goes home today as planned and that she is able to spend the remainder of her time without too much pain and surrounded by those she loves and who love her.

Pray that she doesn't spend too much more time in great pain.

Thank you. Your support (everyone's) means so much to me. I was praying for Phyllis and Papou in the same prayers not so long ago. Papou is at peace now, and one way or another, I pray for the same for Phyllis.

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh dear, Joyce--I KNOW this is SO hard for you all!

I am going down, point by point to pray as you've asked! Lord, willing, His mercy will be experienced
    and recognized by one and all!!

I am so thankful, for you, that you already have the comfort of knowing where to find
    her, in the future if she goes on, rather than staying on this plane, awhile longer--in better health!

God bless and strengthen you all!
    janice

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I too am going through the same thing with an older brother. I will include your sister in my prayers.

He is 73 and has Hospice to help with his passing. His goal is to live till he can watch his grandsons play football at the end of the month. With prayer he just over came a near death hurdle and we pray his wishes will be granted.

Connie

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Janice and Connie. Connie, I will include your brother in my prayers as well.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

This is always hardest on those of us left behind. Sending every good thought your and your sister's way. Cynthia

• Janice
    14 years ago

Joyce--how is it going, for your sister and all?

I'm still praying!

janice

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again Janice, and Cynthia, and Connie, and Sheila and all of you who pray, though you haven't typed in a response. Prayers help a lot, as do all other good thoughts you send her way.

Phyllis did pretty good for almost two weeks after going home from the hospital. She felt well enough to sit on a chair out on the porch for short periods during the day and to get up and walk there (with some assistance). Her inner strength has been tremendous. Her adult kids are taking turns staying with her, so she has someone there (in addition to her husband who has been taking care of her all these months) full time, as well as a hospice nurse coming in (every day I think).

She fell on the weekend though, and hurt her back, and hasn't been out of bed since. She sat up yesterday, which was a very good sign, but my neice said she woke up scraming this morning. She said her dad told her that Phyllis has done that off and on (before the kids were staying full time) so it's not new, but it's still scary. The hospice nurse made an extra visit this morning, but said that her lungs looked fairly good, at least no worse then yesterday.

I think I'm going to drive down this weekend. It sounds like I could get off work Friday afternoon and drive to Rochester, then to Decatur on Saturday, back to Rochester on Sunday, and home on Monday. I've been planning to make the trip to Decatur (where she lives) when I'm in Rochester for my son's college graduation (weekend of Sept 26th) but I'm feeling like that might be too late. I know that if I don't get down in time to say goodbye, I will always regret it. If I go down this weekend and then can go again on the last weekend of September, that's something I'll never regret. I love living here, in the UP, except for this distance.

Keep praying please.

• Janice
    14 years ago

Thank you for the update, Joyce! I check back often hoping to get one, and hoping for good news!

I just can't imagine how difficult it is, to watch a loved one, or ANYONE suffer! My prayers are
    ramped up a notch for her and all who love her and suffers along with her!!

I pray your trip is safe and your time with her very blessed, filled with the joy of
    love and memories revisited!

God's speed and strength to you, Joyce--
    janice

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Joyce,
    You will definitely be glad you made the trip this weekend and if you can go again in September, all the better. Love is never wasted and it often requires work, but it is what makes all our lives worth living. I will be thinking of you, Phyllis, and her family this weekend and wishing you moments of joy and laughter amidst any tears.

Cynthia

• Janice
    14 years ago

I'm praying your visit has been very rewarding and fulfilling for you both!! I'm sure there's been
    much laughter and tears--a good combination for those who love each other as you do!!!

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our visit was good. I'm convinced the reason that Phyllis was so glad I was coming was that so she could tell me that 'it's ok', which she did as soon as she and I were alone. She said she wouldn't have chosen to go so soon, but that she's had a good life, and it is ok. I told her that I knew, that I'm not ready yet (to be losing her or any of my sisters) but that I knew it was ok. I'm sure she's had this talk with each one of her family and that it helps her to be able to tell us this.

She is having good days and bad days. One of my nieces reported today, "Yesterday was a better day than the day before, but still overall getting worse. Mom had a rough night. They are putting the catheter back in. Her coughing has really slowed down. It was good that we all had good visits with her." She told me that all of the kids were there yesterday, as well as some other family members.

Please keep up the prayers. They help. She must have a thousand people offering prayers. That's a wonderful thing.

My neice emailed me this morning to ask if I had pictures of Phyllis to share at a slide show at her funeral. That almost made me cry.

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Phyllis passed away early this morning. My youngest sister called at about 2 am. She told me that Phyllis had asked for the kids and grandkids to come on Wednesday (the day before) so I'm sure she knew,and she did get to hug all of them one last time and say her goodbyes, just as she did with me on the weekend.

Thank you for all of your prayers and support. It's meant a lot.

Joyce

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry Joyce. I'm glad you got your time together at the end for 'goodbye for now'. My family seems to "drop on the spot" which is a different kind of adjustment. Myrle

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh, Joyce--thank you for sharing your heart-hurt with us! I'm so sorry that you will have to do
    without Phyllis--for *a time*.

I understand--that in Heaven, there is no time! So, I suspect that when one arrives,
    it seems as if all have arrived, at the same time. It will be much harder on you, who
    love her, to do without her for any length of 'time'!!

I will pray that you all are greatly comforted, by 'the Comforter'!!

1 Cor. 13:12 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I
    know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully
    known."

• chevy57red
    14 years ago

Joyce,

Joyce,

We were sad to hear the news of Phyllis. When we were together, you knew you wanted to go see her again and I am glad that you got the chance.
    We hope that you find the a calm after all you and the family have been through.
    You and Gary are in our thoughts always.
    Steve & I are always here for you.

Sheila

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Oh Joyce, I am so sorry for your loss, but being surrounded by family makes all the difference for those leaving and for those staying, I think. She was well-loved and what more could any of us wish for? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Cynthia

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more thanks to all of you.

• Janice
    14 years ago

1 Corinthians 15

Be encouraged, looking 'forward' to 'The Day'!

Praying for you all, once more!

His peace,
    janice

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Joyce just saw this but wanted to also express my condolences to you too. I'm so sorry you lost your sister Phyllis but glad that you were able to have a last visit with her.

Eileen

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Eileen.

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Joyce,

I haen't been doing much reading on this side and this morning I just happened to reread your post. Sorry to hear of your sisters passing.

My brother is still with us. After a near death night spent with me staying with my sister in law and the Hos pice nurse and family not being able to get him to respond he woke up 13 hours later just fine or as fine as he can be in his situation. When the hospice nurse Jeff stopped in yesterday expecting to see Larry with a high heart rate and low blood pressure and still in the same shape which was reported the night before, Larry asked him when the end might come and Jeff answered
    "Who knows with you"!!!! LOL All his vitals were fine. Today he is out viewing the countryside with two old friends!!

We are so thankful to still have him with us. He wanted to live to see his grandsons play football and their seasons are almost finished.

This is a very fragel thin person who needs help walking part of the time. Thanks be to God for each day he has with all of us.

Connie