Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Orchids Anyone?

jel48
16 years ago

Well... it's no secret that hostaholics have addictive plant personalities! And also that they are among the most persuasive enablers around. But guess what! It seems that orchid lovers are also enablers. And the addictive plant personalities of hostaholics don't stop with hostas! At least not my own personal addictive plant personality.

So I was in Home Depot today, buying things I needed for working on the new house and otherwise minding my own business... even staying clear away from the gardening section where I know they had left over hostas on sale.

And there, right in front of me were the orchids! Did any (or all) of you know that Home Depot has lovely orchids? I see them there all the time. I've always thought they were gorgeous but figured they were picky and hard to grow.

But tonight, there was a man looking at these beautiful flowers so of course I had to say something to him, "Aren't they beautiful?" or something of that sort. And before you know it we were talking about orchids. He sounded like HE (unlike ME) knew what he was talking about.

So I asked him a question about orchid culture, then another and one thing let to another and next thing you know he was showing me one particular orchid and saying "This sure is a beauty, you should buy it" and next thing you know it was in my cart. Then he was telling me how orchids don't like to be alone so you really need at least two. Then, all of a sudden there were (not two) three of them in my cart.

Then this nice orchid lover was hunting for orchid fertilizer for me, then for all the right gear to give orchids just the sort of environment they love.

They need to be in a smallish pot (they grow in bark chips) and a little rootbound. The pots need to be up on a grate (use a light diffuser with 1/4 inch square sections) that is set in a flat container (the ones you use to start seeds in are perfect) and you need to keep the water level just to the top of the grate (orchids like moisture coming up from below and don't EVER water them on the leaves if you are pouring water from above).

Give them 16 hours of grow lights a day and talk to them a lot and you can expect mature orchids to bloom as often as 3-4 times a year. Fertilize lightly - a scant 1/4 teaspoon of orchid (approx 30-10-10 mix) fertilizer in a gallon of water once a week.

So, I am a new orchid owner, and I have a feeling that 3 will not be the end of it! Phooey! Hostas! Iris! and now Orchids? Where will this stop???? WILL IT STOP?????

NAH!!!!!!! I doubt that it will ever stop.

But I can't be the ONLY hosta lover to break down and by an orchid or two. Fess up..... I'd love to see orchids belonging to other hostaholics.

Comments (10)

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Beautiful phalaenopsis orchids. You're going to love them!! When mine bloom, they last for three months. You need to pick up a few oncidium, dendrobium and cattleya orchid plants too! And get a few paphiopedilum orchids (lady slippers) to keep your hostas company. (I'm just trying to help you in your new addiction, LOL!)

Donna

• hostared
    16 years ago

Orchids are the easiest of the house plants.
    Neglect is what they need.
    Never let them sit in water. And a good orchid pot with side holes or clay pots are the key.
    Overwatering is using death to an orchid.
    The ones above are some of the easiest and will rebloom for you in 6 mo. The key is keep treating them as a house plant and increase humidity. When ours are out of bloom they go in the bathroom shower on a caddy. There is a window there so they get indirect light. Nice healthy plants. As soon as they start to show signs of blooming out they go to a spot to be viewed. Easy.

Also when picking up an orchid look for one that has multiple stems and only a few flowers open. This will insure you with many blooms to enjoy. (about 3 months worth) Get a good orchid book. And any questions check the Orchid Forum.

Soon you'll be purchasing a vial of small plants to grow!
    It takes maybe 2 to 3 years to get baby's to grow. That's why they are expensive but well worth it. A great gift for someone who forgets to water their plants.

Who was the grower that was on the tag.

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

I picked up 3 when we were in Florida last Feb. and they are still alive with just watering. They have put out new leaves and I have them in my north fancing 3 season room. They are just like the ones in your pictures except I got a white too. I had better read up on then and take better care of them!!!

Connie

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I will post some photos tomorrow.... I have several Lowe's rescues too. I found them when they weren't blooming (for $4) and they have done quite nicely for me! Each one has put out a different looking bloom.

BTW - I have Phals and one hard cane Dendrobium.

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

I am in complete disareement with all of you! I can't grow anything that doesn't grow in soil! Lol!! I tried orchids once,and they just died! Beautiful,without a doubt,but not for me. I even have trouble with African Violets,although I do have one right now,that hasn't died. Now Christmas cacti,I can grow very well. Phil

• highjack
    16 years ago

Be careful - the next step will be a greenhouse to house your orchid collection. Of course I also use the gh to grow hosta and daylily seeds but blooming orchids through the winter sure make walking into a warm, humid gh lots of fun.

Welcome to another addiction.

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

I bought a Dendrobium for my mother. It is bright purple and a florescent turquise. It is incredible and is thriving in her sunroom.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

jel,

Your orchids are BEAUTIFUL, but your story on how you got them was hilarious!

That man (the orchid enabler) had all the right lines, calling them "beauties" and everything. But his best line was... "Orchids don't like to be alone".

I really like the bright magenta color (3rd photo). If you ever end up with any more "beauties", please share with us.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, he was great all right! I was soooo worn out that night, just exhausted, and he perked me up and just absolutely made my day! I posted a thank you on the orchid forum, as he said he read it occasionally, but never got a response. I'm happy to report the orchids are doing great so far! I've just ordered some lights that are nice looking enough to put right in my living room window, so I think they will just stay there. I've got them sitting on the diffuser sheets in seedling trays so they are right above moisture. I'm hoping they do well. Hmmmm... think I'll post a pic of them in their new surroundings. I'm pretty sure I have one here....

Here it is.

I'm still waiting for the lights to arrive.

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful Orchids. I just came back from listening to a great speaker on Orchids. While half the presentation was on North American Native Orchids...the other half spoke about the orchids many grow as houseplants. She strongly suggested setting the orchids on a humidity tray - this could simply be and oversized plant saucer - filled with an inch of rocks and water. The orchids sit on top of rocks and the evaporating water creates a little micro humid climate for them. She also suggested watering from the bottom (water would include 1/2 strength fertilizer-weekly). She said the type of orchid you are growing should hold firmly in the pot (you can test by holding the pot and tugging on the plant - it should not come out of the pot easily). This indicates that the plant has a healthy root system. It is not uncommon that Orchids are grown in clear plastic pots because a little photosynthesis goes on with the roots (if yours are already in clear plastic - check to see if some of the roots are green - that is a good sign). The key for these plants is good air circulation (including roots)...after all in its native habitat, this type of orchid grows on trees, not in the ground.

Hopefully the orchid I have will start to look a little better now that I plan on feeding it regularly. A sign of good health over time - each new leaf should be larger than the last. Good luck.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting