Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Root ax, pick ax, mattock, whatever

User
12 years ago

I read a post on the other side which I can no longer find, but it mentioned the term "root ax" And I was not familiar with the tool, so I did a search for it.

Turns out it is a sort of mattock, with a short handle like an AX, then on the metal end, one half of the "head" is in line with the handle so when you swing down, it can split wood (like roots)...but that portion of the head is more slender than a normal one-function ax. Then on the opposite side of the metal head, is the real heavy portion which is perpendicular to the handle, so it can on the down swing with its really heavy metal sharpened edge also cut into wood (like an adze) or into hard soil (like a heavy hoe). The head of this tool is so heavy that if you raise it high above your head, letting it fall without too much exertion can make quite an impact.

So what I discovered is that the tool I was calling a "pick ax" is really a MATTOCK. Or that could be the ROOT AX that the other poster mentioned.

As with most tools, it works better when sharpened.

And I was wondering who else had a good tool that they liked to use? I choose the MATTOCK even though I've had a bum rotator cup/cuff (?) for a while, and this tool hurts less to use than a hoe. It also can dig a 4-6" wide trench for laying pipe or whatever quicker and neater than a shovel. And then the other side of the head can neatly cut through those infernal tree roots in shady gardens.

Comment (1)