Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Who still has hosta to plant?

just1morehosta
14 years ago

Ok, every one fess up,who amoung us still have hosta to plant,and which ones do you have,and will you be buying still more this season?

Come on, you know who you are.

I will start:

I still have,

1.Beach Party

2.Helleorbus(i know,not a hosta, but i have them)

3.Ocean Isle

4.English Sunrise

5.Blue Hawaii

6.Fantasy Island

7.Rosedale Golden Candelsticks

8.4 mini Evergreens,for my mini hosta bed next year(which i will be re-doing)

I may buy one or two more yet.

cAROL

Comments (10)

• aahostas
    14 years ago

cAROL,
    I planted 11 yesterday. This is no easy task when you plant them in 5 gallon pots!
    I have 26 left to plant and 44/ 5 gallon pots left. So that means that I have planted 88 varieties in 5 gallon pots and 26 in 3 gallon pots this year.That makes my display area having 1480 varieties and with the 26 I will be in the 1500 club! This means I am totally certified and there are no questions about my addiction or sanity. When I get down to the last 10 or so I will let you know what is left. Sunday I planted...
    Pete's Passion,
    Tequila Sunrise,
    All Jazzed UP
    Red Dragon,
    Crumples,
    Singin in the Rain,
    Pilgrim Streakes,
    Seventh Heaven,
    Rufus Rider,
    Glory Hallelujah,
    and...
    Gone Fishing

I mean it though,,,
    When those 26 are finished so am I!

Denny

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Denny,I bought Gone Fishin for my hubby a couple of years ago,it did not make it,e amil me please, i really NEED, that one.
    Sounds like you are as crazy as i am,ha ha
    You have some BIG POTS THERE.

wispering softly,ah, did you get the one you wanted so badly?shhhhhhhhhhhhh
    cAROL

• aahostas
    14 years ago

cAROL,
    yep, it will be here Friday.along with
    Surfs up
    Beach party,
    Ocean Isle,
    Buster
    and Swirls.
    These are already included in the aforementioned 26.
    I am counting my eggs before they hatch because when you
    are insane it doesn't matter anyway!
    Yes they are BIG POTS it takes an eternity to get them in the ground.Sometimes I will dig a partial hole and then fill it with water so it will soak and become easier the following day.If I can do ten a day I am thrilled!It is worth the effort to know that they will be back next year without becoming "VOLE Brunch".EEERRRR AAARGH! I really hate voles!They are My #1 enemy!They have turned me into a "VOLESTER"! There is no escape or turning back once you get to this point .Is there? I even think sometimes that if something would happen to me very few people would really know or appreciate the monster investment growing in my yard.I cannot tell my DW or she would make it happen immediately! Rattle blah blah Blah! I think Thomas Paine has taken over me!

Denny

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denny,are you planting the whole pot?Can you dig a hole, put in the empty pot,then add the soil and hosta,would that make it any easier?
    I am sorry you have to go to so much trouble saving them for next year,what a pain.
    Last year worked out quite well for me(I think I did thank you for the idea of the holding bed) didn't I.
    The only problem we had,was MICE!(we)(I SAY THIS WITH TOUNG IN CHEEK)I said over and over again, We need to put mice poison down,Yes, I (NOT ME) will do it as soon as~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~,yada yada yada,never got done,so the mice destroyed quite a few of them,way to many!
    I(me)would have done it, i had no problem doing it,but when told(I) NOT ME-will do it,then I(me) count on that.Do you get it.ha ha
    This year,,I as in ME, Will do it.What was the name of that bait you use?
    No one knows how hard this is do they?ha ha
    cAROL

• aahostas
    14 years ago

cAROL,
    I use TOMCAT.It comes in a gallon pail with several little packets in it I have 38 bins and use 2 packets per bin.I haven't had any losses in the last two years from mice or voles.Two questions? Are You raking out the fall leaves before covering the bins? Did you staple landscape fabric across the bottom of the frame tightly? These are two things that I changed with amazing results. I still find a few little rodent cacasses in the spring but the bait gets them after they breech the first two barriers.Yes, you did thank me but I feel that if you were truly sincere you would have sent me a Llama to chase off the Cyotes!They are really creepy this time of the year when they chirp and howl in the valley.It gives me the willies down the back of my neck!I will send you a division of Gone Fishin next year if it produces one.Just remind me cause I tend to be a little flighty at times.

Denny

• jel48
    14 years ago

I still have at least a couple dozen, maybe more, but I think some of them are going to have to spend the winter in their pots. Under all the snow we get here, I'm pretty sure they'll be fine. To make it worse, we still have about 35 small trees that spent the summer in buckets and still aren't in the ground. We got about half of what we had planted and these are still waiting. Hmmm.... wonder how trees will do in buckets over the winter...

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

All hostas are in the ground but I have WS plants that need planting. We had rain yesterday and the ground needs to dry out before I can put them in.

What I usually run out of time for is clearing all the flower beds. I like to wait till most things are dead and dry so I can burn. Cold weather with snow usually comes before I'm finished. Then it's wait till spring and do it then. What I will do if they ever ban burning in my area I don't know.

I found a neat trick that I use. I have an old electric hedge clippers that I use to cut down the dry stalks. It sure beats doing it all by hand one snip at a time. Saves time and my back.

Connie

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Connie,,,,

Denny,I did not know that Llamas would frighten away Coyotes,I know a Donkey will.Hummmmm,learn something new all the time.
    I will see about sending you the Llama next spring,shipping is really high,I will need to deliver.You know, to show my appreciation.:0)
    By the way,What was the name of the hosta you wanted,that you got last week, I can't remember?
    cAROL

• aahostas
    14 years ago

cAROL,
    Splashed Leather...Oh yea them Lamas hates them some canines..They stomp the puddin out of them. I saw one on the Discovery channel that stomped one then picked it up in its mouth and swung it around like a fly swatter! It was a bloody mess! One spit a big goober on my DW at the fair this year! I guess that they are also truly great judges of character!! Just kidding honey! (if you would happen to read this)!I guess that I can wait till spring for mine.I will just have to call some of my buddies and tell them that the show that I had planned for my neighbors vicious dog has been postponed!!LOL!

Denny

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dO YOU WANT ME TO WAIT? TEEHEE
    cAROL