Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Your best apple recipes - looking for something different

jel48
15 years ago

Hi everyone! We bought a bushel of apples last weekend. I'm planning to put some in the freezer, if we don't eat them all up before then, that is :-) So far, I've made dehydrated apples and apple crisp. What I'd like is to try some different apple recipes. Something I've never tried before. I've done apple crisp, apple cobbler, and apple pie, so am only interested in those recipes if there is something 'different' about them.

What else do you have for favorite apple recipes???

Joyce

Comments (26)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Do you ever make Waldorf Salad? We like it and it's easy. Cut up apples, celery and small pieces of walunt. Stir in mayonaise (only Best Foods/Hellmans will do). Chill for a while before you eat it.

Some people add raisins or even pineapple but I don't. McT

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McT, that's a great idea! I've made that in the past but had forgotten all about it. Thanks!

• chevy57red
    15 years ago

Joyce
    This is one that goes over well with the kids...
    Dice up the apples.
    Add frozen broken up Snickers bars and mix both with Cool Whip.

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yummmm....... Thanks, Sheila! That sounds tasty.

Gary and I are both sitting in the office playing 'computer' for a bit on Saturday morning before we head out elsewhere. After I read your recipe, first I had to explain about our day at the hosta dig at the aboretum, then read him the recipe :-) That was really a nice day.

• lindac
    15 years ago

This never fails to elicit OOHS and AAHS.

Apple Cake

4 cups chopped apples
    1 ½ cups sugar ( can use ½ splenda)
    ½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots or craisins)
    Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 ½ tsps baking soda ( I like ¾ tsps soda and ¾ tsps BP)
    ¾ tsps salt
    1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Mix dry ingredients
    2 eggs
    ¾ cups veggie oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    beat together
    1 cup chopped pecans if desired.
    Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
    Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until doneÂ..40 to 50 minutes.
    Serve with cake gravy!

Cake Gravy
    Mix 1 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    ½ cup evap milk
    1 tsp vanillaÂ.
    Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.
    Serve warm over the cake.

• Janice
    15 years ago

Yum--that does sound wonderful, Linda! I think I'll be trying that one this Fall!!!

• upnort
    15 years ago

I have chevys recipe too, called Snicker salad. Instead of cool whip you use pistachio pudding. Its very nice. I have an apple recipe book at home, is there anything in particular youre looking for jel? I can see what it has for you. How about apple butter?

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Yummy recipes!

Lindac, do you peel the apples?

Joyce, what about apple dumplings? They are my all time favorite. Sorry I don't have a recipe, I only eat them ;o)

PIM

• upnort
    15 years ago

Snickers Salad
    4-6 frozen Snickers bars
    4-6 apples cut in small chunks
    1-8oz. carton Cool Whip
    1-3oz. pkg. pistachio or vanilla pudding
    Put Snickers in a zip-loc bag and smash up with a hammer. Mix all ingredients together and chill. This stuff is great for a pot luck.

• upnort
    15 years ago

Baked Apple Rings

1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 tablespoons melted butter
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    4 medium apples

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
    Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish and combine butter and lemon juice in another. Core and peel apples. Trim ends, then slice each apple crosswise into 4 rings about 1/2 inch thick. Coat each apple ring on both sides with lemon-butter then dip into the cinnamon-sugar to coat both sides.
    Arrange closely on a 15x10 x 3/4 inch baking pan. Bake about 15 minutes, turning once, or until apples are tender and golden brown.

• upnort
    15 years ago

6 baking apples
    2/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
    1/4 cup (packed)light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon grated orange peel
    3/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
    2 tablespoon melted butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liquer or cranberry juice cocktail
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Peel top third of each apple. Remove core to within 1/4 inch of bottom and enough pulp so each apple will hold about 2 tablespoons filling. Place apples in shallow baking dish.
    In a small bowl, combine cranberries, brown sugar, and orange peel. Spoon into apples, dividing equally. Whisk together cranberry juice cocktail, melted butter and honey and pour over apples. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes more, or until tender, basting occasionally. Beat cream until stiff. Fold in liqueur and sugar. Serve apples warm or at room temp. garnish with whipped cream.

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, these recipes sound delicious! I haven't gotten through them yet but I'm going to try each and every one before I'm through!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Regarding the apple cake....sometimes I peel.....sometimes I don't. I think it's better if you peel....but sometimes I get lazy.
    Linda C

• iowa_flower_nut
    15 years ago

Here's another good apple salad.
    Chopped apples
    grapes (cut them in half if you want)
    dried cranberries (craisins)
    chopped pecans
    bottled poppyseed salad dressing (just enough to coat all)

Easy and refreshing!

• bradley787
    15 years ago

I absolutely love this recipe.

2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
    2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
    1 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew Â

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate crescents into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
    Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
    Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

• Janice
    15 years ago

I can SMELL the cookin' folks! All of these recipes sounds so wonderful,
    and bradley, yours gets the vote for the most unique I think! I can't wait to try it!!

Does anyone have a favorite type of apple to use in your recipes? I saw 'Granny Smith' which
    I've always known is a good choice--any others?

• pattyscake
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a baked apple recipe similar to one I used to get from a French dipped Sandwich place in Los Angeles?

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I too would like to know what kind of apples all of you use in your recipes , if you haven't already stated it when you posted. Hope that is not too much trouble for you.

Enquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!

Connie

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Bump up!!!!

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!

Still would like to know what kind of apples each of you use.

Connie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

bump. Me, too.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

me too!

• jel48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know about everyone else, and I use a variety of kinds of apples in my recipes. Anything that is traditionally known as a good cooking apple.

I do want to say that we bought half a bushel of Honeycrips apples this fall and they are the best I've ever eaten. I was told that anything you bake can be improved by using them in your baking too, but Gary told me he hoped I wouldn't 'waste' them baking because they are so absolutely amazing fresh! We're going to order a couple of Honeycrisp trees to plant on our camp property. Will probably order a couple of red and yellow delicious for pollinators.

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I know what you mean about good!!! They are kind of pricy to buy as they are a farely new apple, but so good the juice runs out when you bite into them. They are especially sweet too.

I lost my spell check on my posts so can't check my spelling anymore. If anyone knows how I can get it back plese help me!!!!!

Connie

• Janice
    14 years ago

I love to collect recipes and while indulging myself to that effort today, I found this recipe
    for 'Apple Upside-down Cake'! It looks very promising!

I love this recipe site, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Upside Down Cake recipe

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hi all! I'm reporting back having tried Linda's recipe for Apple cake but I wound up
    using the 1/2 cup raisins plus 1/2 Cup Craisins and about 1/4 cup dried Apricots (chopped up)
    and the pecans and a handful of shredded coconut, at the last minute. It was awesome!

It came out more like a fruit cake, but the best part of the traditional, not so compacted and packed
    with so many different intense flavors. I highly recommend doing this, if you want a very Holiday-type
    cake but don't want to use the traditional fruit cake recipes!

I think it would also make a very nice Apple-Fruit *Bread*, baked in a loaf pan or two!

I loved the 'gravy' (tasted like 'Eagle Brand' condensed milk) but the next day, found I still enjoyed the cake
    even without the gravy and it did remind me more of a 'bread' than cake, that way! :o)

Thank you, Linda, for a good recipe! I promise to try it as it was presented, after the holidays!
    Right now, I'm enjoying it 'tweaked'--way too much, I'm afraid!!

Oh, and I used 'Gala' Apples which turned out fabulous in this recipe! I had read somewhere on the internet
    that they tested out as one of the better cooking apples--in the top three, in fact, and I couldn't agree more
    based on how this 'Apple (fruit) cake' turned out!

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Sounds yummy Janice. I plan on using your version for the holidays.

Connie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville